Flu Vaxxed in Australia in May…..is it valid for Chiang Mai’s current flu season..?

mikey88

Yes, apparently.

My wife will have a flu vaccine provided thru her Aetna/Bupa insurance with southern strain vaccine.

Name : Vaxigrip Tetra
Type : 4-strain Southern hemisphere Influenza Vaccine

WHO is recommended composition of influenza vaccine for
use in 2023 Thailand is, Southern influenza strain

The vaccination protects against the following influenza
strains;

A/Sydney/5/2021 (H1N1)pdm09 like strain
(A/Sydney/5
/2021, SAN-013)
A/Darwin/9/2021 (H3N2) - like strain (A/Darwin/9/2021,
IVR-
22????
B/Austria/1359417/2021 - like strain (B/Michigan/01/2021,
wild type)

B/Phuket/3073/2013 - like strain (B/Phuket/3073/2013,
wild type)

https://www.who.int/news/item/23-09-2022-new-recommendations-for-the-composition-of-influenza-vaccines-in-2023-for-the-southern-hemisphere

m

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Vitamin D combined with Magnesium daily along with & C should keep your immune system good against most viruses, also try to get a little sunshine.

Plus zinc. 2 zinc, 2 magnesium. Eat fruit for c. Sun gives you D.

• Sad 1

On 10/13/2023 at 5:02 PM, connda said:

a roll of the dice

Provides predictability. 

Any number 1-6 has a probability of 16.7% to occur with one die.

That is not the same as a SWAG.

Increase the of number of dice tossed in a throw (like the expectation of different flu strains) and your odds of prediction increase for flu immunity.

There are nine flu vaccines in general available this flu season (no idea specifically for Thailand) that are 40-60% effective.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Vitamin D combined with Magnesium daily along with & C should keep your immune system good against most viruses, also try to get a little sunshine.

the Medical Journal of Australia released a position statement in 2012 recommending between 7-40 minutes daily of sun exposure for fair skinned persons during the winter months so that vitamin D levels don’t drop too low. 

Nowson C, McGrath J, Ebeling P, et al. Vitamin D and health in adults in Australia and New Zealand: a position statement. Med J Aust 2012;196(11):686-687

• Haha 2

To the OP.  It’s is to my understanding from what a doctor told me once.  The flu vaccines are created for the regions they are administered in. 
I suggest you contact the provider that administered your vaccine to be sure if it covers the specific region you are inquiring about. This way you can be sure you are adequately protected.  

15 hours ago, swm59nj said:

To the OP.  It’s is to my understanding from what a doctor told me once.  The flu vaccines are created for the regions they are administered in. 
I suggest you contact the provider that administered your vaccine to be sure if it covers the specific region you are inquiring about. This way you can be sure you are adequately protected.  

Thanks  for that….

On 10/13/2023 at 4:24 PM, NoDisplayName said:

Yes, apparently.

My wife will have a flu vaccine provided thru her Aetna/Bupa insurance with southern strain vaccine.

https://www.who.int/news/item/23-09-2022-new-recommendations-for-the-composition-of-influenza-vaccines-in-2023-for-the-southern-hemisphere

m

Thanks very much….invaluable. Appreciate it…Cheers.

https://www.who.int/teams/global-influenza-programme/vaccines/vaccine-in-tropics-and-subtropics

Thailand uses the Southern Hemisphere vaccine and the flu "season" starts in May. So yes, you are covered.

Thread moved to health forum and a number of posts with misinformation/quakery removed along with trolling posts and flames.

Good nutrition and adequate Vitwmin D levels certainly help resistance to disease but do not negate the need for flu vaccination in the elderly or otherwise at high risk.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Social Media said:

A number of posts have been removed.

Please do not post just a link, it will be removed. Post something, an explanation, description something as to what the link is referring to.

Please ddo not post videos from Dr.Campbell, they will be removed.

Thank you for your moderation. ????

So silly that someone is looking for a little advice on influenza vaccines and the anti-Covid conspiracists feel obligated to pollute the thread.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Comments on Moderation have been removed per Forum standards.

If you have an issue please PM Support. 

Did I make a comment on moderation? I just said looks like jokes not allowed.

Thailand is situated in a tropical region, lying neither in the exact northern nor southern hemisphere. Both northern hemisphere and southern hemisphere flu vaccines are available in Thailand. In my practice, I would recommend getting the vaccine around the same time every year. So yes, your May vaccine will be sufficient.