Buddhist Family Heirlooms

Pepe'

Over the years my mother in law has given me several Buddha amulets and two medium size Buddha statues.

One amulet looks like a piece of "pig iron" with very hard to distinguished features.

The other is typical stone encased in Thai gold. I have showed these to some of the Thai monks I take care of here in San Diego.

They told me they are very rare and valuable and should be placed in a safety deposit box. So I did.

Any ideas what would be the best place/way to have these appraised?

Interestingly, both my mother in law and my ex wife's older sister have become reborn Christians and have gotten all of the "idols" out of the house.

I was able to convince them to put the remainder of the valuable pieces in a safety deposit box until I come in December because they don't want them in the house.

Life is interesting...

If you can find a copy of Matichon weekly you could email the person who writes the amulet column, there, with photos, and he might be able to give you a rough - and honest - idea of what the images are worth here in Thailand.

Amulet shops in Thailand offer amulet appraisal but without a personal recommendation and a basic knowledge yourself, I'd be wary of getting an honest appraisal.

If you can find a copy of Matichon weekly you could email the person who writes the amulet column, there, with photos, and he might be able to give you a rough - and honest - idea of what the images are worth here in Thailand.

Amulet shops in Thailand offer amulet appraisal but without a personal recommendation and a basic knowledge yourself, I'd be wary of getting an honest appraisal.

[/quotte

----------------------------

Thanks sabaijai thats a start.

Good Health,

Pepe'