Uni strut

recom273

Has anyone unistrut for sale here.

I want to run a cable basket down a wall. In the past the sparks would install the basket, first bolting the unistrut to the wall, then fixing the basket with a sliding penny washer.

The clips and basket are available at a solar power supplier but no straightforward way of fixing it.

Any clues?

Edited by recom273
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, retarius said:

I seriously thought from the headline that you were talking about all those creeps who the first sentence they utter when you meet them is "I'm Sebastian, I went to Oxford, you know".

lol .. you were quick off the mark there, I had to laugh at that.

18 minutes ago, freeworld said:

I knew that was going to be an answer, I dont know why I didnt check first.

I have never ordered from RS here, have you?

For one, its seems expensive (they give price per length and only supply 2 lengths in a "pack" so its automatically double the price) I think I could get some slotted 2x2 fabricated for way less, just lacking in time time atm.

12 minutes ago, recom273 said:

I knew that was going to be an answer, I dont know why I didnt check first.

I have never ordered from RS here, have you?

For one, its seems expensive (they give price per length and only supply 2 lengths in a "pack" so its automatically double the price) I think I could get some slotted 2x2 fabricated for way less, just lacking in time time atm.

Yes have ordered from RS a few times but last time was a few years ago.

There may be cheaper easier options, try also lazada and shopee, I guess for what you want to do it would not need something as high quality/expensive as a unistrut system.

Edited by freeworld

11 hours ago, recom273 said:

Has anyone unistrut for sale here.

I want to run a cable basket down a wall. In the past the sparks would install the basket, first bolting the unistrut to the wall, then fixing the basket with a sliding penny washer.

The clips and basket are available at a solar power supplier but no straightforward way of fixing it.

Any clues?

It’s easily sourced from a good electrical supply store. We got ours from our supplier in UdonThani. If you know an actual electrician they probably can tell you where to get it locally.

I have some lengths from our last installation. For those who don’t know what it is it’s like thisIMG_7147.thumb.jpeg.b6a791ea8cb80b46a7b9c6e3d8d8b753.jpeg

rather overkill for our project but our electriction specified it.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It’s easily sourced from a good electrical supply store. We got ours from our supplier in UdonThani. If you know an actual electrician they probably can tell you where to get it locally.

I have some lengths from our last installation. For those who don’t know what it is it’s like thisIMG_7147.thumb.jpeg.b6a791ea8cb80b46a7b9c6e3d8d8b753.jpeg

rather overkill for our project but our electriction specified it.

lol .. thanks, I should have thought of that. Yes, my electrical wholesaler had it, cheap as chips, but no slots behind to allow easy alignment tho’. I liked the way your conduit is fixed so bought some clips too. 

I find that I’m having to overthink everything at the moment -

1. I went to wholesalers asked them for 3mx 100mm cable basket .. what for? Run data cables, no, don’t have. Which is why I didn’t think they would carry unistrut.

2. Find cable basket and mounting clips at a solar power suppliers. Do you have unistrut .. why? Putting the cable basket on a wall, no don’t have. I guess they just use box section to fit drops.

3. Return to wholesalers, do you have unistrut, yup, great, do you have the channel nuts? No don’t have. What are you going to use them for .. to attach the mounting plates, to mount the cable basket that you don’t sell. 

Never mind, it’s all good fun. It’s only 24 cat.6 so I can just 3D print some channel nuts. 

IMG_9231.webp

Edited by recom273

I've been through a similar search process for uninstrut and channel nuts.  super expensive at RS.     C channel is available at most electrical supply shops in 2 depths, and sometimes hot dip galvanized.  However i have not yet found convenient slotted version, so it requires drilling holes. 

About the "basket".  If i understand correctly what you are referring to, there are variatey of cable ladders, trays, and wire way available from KJL Thailand - popular brand in stock and by order from local electrical suppliers

https://www.kjl.co.th/product/our-product/kjl-products-cable-tray-systems

Channel nuts though ...  let me know if you find them!

Edited by captainjackS

9 minutes ago, captainjackS said:

I've been through a similar search process for uninstrut and channel nuts.  super expensive at RS.     C channel is available at most electrical supply shops in 2 depths, and sometimes hot dip galvanized.  However i have not yet found convenient slotted version, so it requires drilling holes. 

About the "basket".  If i understand correctly what you are referring to, there are variatey of cable ladders, trays, and wire way available from KJL Thailand - popular brand in stock and by order from local electrical suppliers

https://www.kjl.co.th/product/our-product/kjl-products-cable-tray-systems

Channel nuts though ...  let me know if you find them!

Yes, it’s strange isn’t it. Why no slots? It makes for easy alignment.

No, it’s for data cable. The basket in your link is for mains cable, it’s difficult to wrap the Velcro or ties around. I want it as much for display, dropping 24 cables down to a server cabinet on the floor.

Something like this.

https://dura-tray.com/accessories/

I would use their double clamp and screw directly into a channel nut. 

I can see they have lots of other types of basket fixings that go straight in the wall.