Udon to Nan

bignok

Yes, I did it a few years ago. Took the main 210 from Udonthani to Loei, nothing spectacular. On passing Loei and having plenty of time, I decided to take the 'scenic' route to Nan. So I turned off at Phu Ruea and went that way. Sorry, can't remember the road numbers as was using an old road atlas. The idea was to follow as closely as I could to the Thai/Laos border for as long as I could.

Would I take that route again, probably not. Small isolated roads, some in extremely bad condition, landslides, no other traffic (climbed over a mountain and back down), saw no one except for one guy tending his herd and no fuel stops. 

Good for an adventure to do once, maybe good for a bunch of bikers (on off-road/adventure bikes) but in my case, driving a Vigo, never again. Ended up emerging just south of Nan.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, South said:

Yes, I did it a few years ago. Took the main 210 from Udonthani to Loei, nothing spectacular. On passing Loei and having plenty of time, I decided to take the 'scenic' route to Nan. So I turned off at Phu Ruea and went that way. Sorry, can't remember the road numbers as was using an old road atlas. The idea was to follow as closely as I could to the Thai/Laos border for as long as I could.

Would I take that route again, probably not. Small isolated roads, some in extremely bad condition, landslides, no other traffic (climbed over a mountain and back down), saw no one except for one guy tending his herd and no fuel stops. 

Good for an adventure to do once, maybe good for a bunch of bikers (on off-road/adventure bikes) but in my case, driving a Vigo, never again. Ended up emerging just south of Nan.

Ok

• Sad 2

16 hours ago, bignok said:

I think is better

If you like scenic routes, Nan (city) to Bo Kluea to Pua is lovely.   We stayed one night along the way and 1 night in Bo Kluea.  Nothing there but the landscape, but thought well worth the drive and overnight for R&R.

Seriously can't think of a more (non limestone karst) drive through the hills, and rivals any other, any where, relative to the 'hills' vs mountains of other countries.  It's not the Alps, but thought really nice.  Best of TH for us.

image.png.e23cc64e951d075668d97e0bff834efb.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

Are you going by car or motorbike? CK Crew (a group of 6 friends in Chiang Khan riding motorbikes) did a trip around Nan last year. If you want to follow a scenic route I'd recommend going to Nong Khai first, then follow the river to Chiang Khan and Na Haeo, then backroads up to Nan. From there you could follow the route KhunLA recommended. Very nice indeed.

image.png.4bc4f044146c46008e8b1b0e0d3c46a2.png

• Like 1

I drove the lonely road from Nan to Loei, the road is narrow and mostly dirt, was stopped by a massive buffalo half way along which after a few minutes staring at me moved out of the way like a gatekeeper, there is signs warning of local gangs from across the border, at the southern exit the police checkpoint said I was a bit too adventurous. I won't be doing that again... Its a long way full of nothing... no phone reception and no civilisation.

3 minutes ago, piewarmer said:

I drove the lonely road from Nan to Loei, the road is narrow and mostly dirt, was stopped by a massive buffalo half way along which after a few minutes staring at me moved out of the way like a gatekeeper, there is signs warning of local gangs from across the border, at the southern exit the police checkpoint said I was a bit too adventurous. I won't be doing that again... Its a long way full of nothing... no phone reception and no civilisation.

Yeah id cut down