Canadian Woman Arrested For Killing Two Thai Girls, Father In Road Accident

george

In Thailand, lines painted on roads, traffic lights, traffic signs and driving rules are merely suggestions.

I know a guy that was STOPPED in traffic at a red light. A drunken Thai on a motorbike came around the corner too fast; lost control and hit the guy in the side of his car. The car owner's insurance company paid for everything including the repairs to the drunk Thai's motorcycle. They stated, "you were in the bigger vehicle so we pay". TiT.

this is exactly why my daughter is not allow on a bike ,if she has to go anywhere she goes by car ,at a last resort in a taxi ,only just safer than a bike ,living on a vacation island you see people 1st time on a bike no idea what there doing ,easy to work out how dangerous it is 4 hospitals within 2k of chaweng ,samui's main holiday town :o

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No matter what ,the lives of these people never comes back ! The mother must be in a big shock ,probably does not want to live herself anymore . Imagine if it was your own family , I can't stand the thought .

I feel my deepest condolences for the family . Also the drunk driver should have his punishment , so everybody who goes behind the wheel drunk learn their responsibilities and severe consequences when ignoring it , drunk driving is a big NONO!

I drive motorcycle and my wife the car , I do not want to drive the car for many reasons .

I have seen multiple accidents and many fatal , really strange and scary to see somebody laying on the road and being left alone . Thai highways in particular are very dangerous , although when being very conscious you can see things coming and avoid possible accidents . But when a drunk moron speeds by nobody can be sure their lives .

That's why I said the lives of these people will never come back , no matter what happened or what we discuss . RIP.

A friend of mines girlfriend fell off the back of a motorcycle taxi and was struck by a following car in Bangkok 10 days or so back.

She has lost her left leg and left eye, she is still in hospital, its so so tragic, young and so intelligent,... anyway do I surmise from what has been said in this thread that the car driver is possibly in the frame for this ? Hardly seems fair, but if thats the way it is......

A friend of mine was killed a few years ago in Thailand. He was driving a motor bike and hit another bike with side car coming at him on the wrong side of the road. The "sling" had no lights and 5 people on the motorbike. HE died, 4 people all tolled, including 2 little kids and 1 adult. The father and driver of the bike, blamed him (his family) for the accident and the police said he was drunk and in the wrong... It was even published in the news papers that a drunk farang killed his family, which was an out and out lie - he killed his family and my frined, by not taking care. The Autopsy revealed, he was not drunk, nor did he have any drugs in his system... What get's said in Thailand, is usually not what actually happened, every one covers their butts.

Im not sying this is the case, but before everyone strings this guy up, think about it a bit.

Everyone is a loser in this tragedy and Im sorry for all concerned. :o

Whatever were the true facts the total lack of responsibility that permeates Thailand has it's most tragic expression in the road death toll. Without pre-judging anything I admit to having driven drunk in Thailand on a couple of occasions. If I needed any rationalisation it was that everyone else does it, besides which if you are a farrang you are automatically deemed the guilty party. Nothing excuses driving drunk, but to stop drink driving farrang or Thai it requires a root and branch overhall of the whole enforcement system. I will add that I will never drive drunk again out of respect for my Thai wife who is very strongly anti-drink driving, so perhaps there is hope?

My condolences to the deceased, but the hang em high brigade should be even handed and reckognise the negligent system and endemic lack of responsibility as contributing factors.

A tragedy in every sense of the word.

Additionally, I am appalled at the notion by some on this forum that the victims were somehow at fault by riding 4-up on a motorbike. To even mention that they were somehow at fault is a reckless statement. Don't forget that we are visitors in the country and this culture cannot be compared to any other as to what is normal or abnormal. Though I agree that riding 4-up on a motorbike is not a prudent way to be safe, it nonetheless is the way of life here in Thailand. If the family could have afforded the Honda that killed them, then I'm sure they would have purchased it. I work with children here in Thailand and I cringe every time I hear of a senseless tragedy like this. And the breadwinner, perhaps, is gone, too. I hope the mother regains her life. She is now the real victim.

As for the man that 'caused' this accident, I share no empathy, unless it is proven it was a complete accident. Whether he was drunk or not, if he is at fault, he should spend the rest of his life in a Thai prison. You must be accountable for your actions regardless of circumstances. If he is found to have been drunk, then I pity him in prison. He will soberly aware of his actions for years to come.

A sad story, indeed.

An all too familiar story. I've driven on thai roads especially in north east thai.The roads have no lights. The bikes have no lights or number plates, and of course they all seem to wear dark clothing. It's a recipe for disaster. This poor family with four people on the bike which has been designed for one person has no chance of survival in an accident let alone a drunk driver being involved(as were told). Whats this guy going through right now. He will have this on his mind for the rest of his life drunk or not,he can never bring this family back. There's a lot to be said and to be done to prevent this tragedy from happening again. Head protection for one a priority. You have this implemented in bangkok, why not the rest of the country. And i realise the importance of transportation with limited funds but four people on a bike is not safe in anybody's language and should only carry at the most two adults. I hope lessons will be learned from this and the newly elected government should look at this if and when a democratic government is formed

odd how the responses here are so different in tone and nature to the thread about the actor killing the garbage collector, and the other benz driver thread....

I noticed that too. Lot of forum members have a big double standard issue.

If the man was drunk, then he will get the book thrown at him. But, that fact maybe just incidental. The accident could still have happened if he was stone, cold sober.

Four on a motorbike, probably no helmets, possibly no lights and maybe the motorcycle just pulled out without looking, which I'm sure you know, is the rule, rather than the exception for Thai drivers.

My point is, is that without the facts, maybe you guys shouldn't be so quick to condemn.

Four on a motorbike, probably no helmets, possibly no lights and maybe the motorcycle just pulled out without looking, which I'm sure you know, is the rule, rather than the exception for Thai drivers.

Practice what you preach.

we all know the procedure of the way thai people go about there lifes on the roads. I for one would never travel on a bike. Common sense kicks in when you see these people take risks joining the main roads from side streets without looking. Young people and school children riding carelessly weaving in and out to beat the traffic and there mates. AN ALL TOO FAMILIAR STORY. as Ive said in my previous post. Would this thread get the same attention if it was a thai driver who killed or injured the family

we all know the procedure of the way thai people go about there lifes on the roads. I for one would never travel on a bike. Common sense kicks in when you see these people take risks joining the main roads from side streets without looking. Young people and school children riding carelessly weaving in and out to beat the traffic and there mates. AN ALL TOO FAMILIAR STORY. as Ive said in my previous post. Would this thread get the same attention if it was a thai driver who killed or injured the family

Probably not, but that is as much down to the consistently high death toll on the roads and the fact this forum is predominantly made up of non-Thais rather than down to any racism or double standard. Does anyone know the Canadian mans blood alcohol level? He could have been just under the limit or just over, the difference is huge when it comes to legal liability, but miniscule when you are in the pub and you decide (or not) to finish your drink. I think laws applied consistently transparently and without favouritism is a distant dream but as others have pointed out you could be completely innocent and still banged up for years due to a Kafkaesque turn of events, and that is worth debate here in my oppinion.

Additionally, I am appalled at the notion by some on this forum that the victims were somehow at fault by riding 4-up on a motorbike. To even mention that they were somehow at fault is a reckless statement. Don't forget that we are visitors in the country and this culture cannot be compared to any other as to what is normal or abnormal. Though I agree that riding 4-up on a motorbike is not a prudent way to be safe, it nonetheless is the way of life here in Thailand. If the family could have afforded the Honda that killed them, then I'm sure they would have purchased it. I work with children here in Thailand and I cringe every time I hear of a senseless tragedy like this. And the breadwinner, perhaps, is gone, too. I hope the mother regains her life. She is now the real victim.

As for the man that 'caused' this accident, I share no empathy, unless it is proven it was a complete accident. Whether he was drunk or not, if he is at fault, he should spend the rest of his life in a Thai prison. You must be accountable for your actions regardless of circumstances. If he is found to have been drunk, then I pity him in prison. He will soberly aware of his actions for years to come.

A sad story, indeed.

***flame removed***

So, if the "victims" were at fault for pulling out without looking (and we all know that NEVER happens here in LOS) then it was just an "accident?"

Also, since when is 4 up on a motorbike part of a culture?

Having said that, IF this guy was drunk then, agreed, the book needs to be thrown but, if it was truly an accident, then it needs to be treated as such. Is it also part of the "culture" that the farang is responsible no matter what?

If another Thai apologist starts prattling on about "Don't forget that we are visitors in the country and this culture cannot be compared to any other as to what is normal or abnormal" I might very well throw up on their shoes. Why is it that prudent human behavior (or lack of it) is excused by "culture?"

Edited by sbk
flame removed

odd how the responses here are so different in tone and nature to the thread about the actor killing the garbage collector, and the other benz driver thread....

I noticed that too. Lot of forum members have a big double standard issue.

No, I was one of the ones who jumped to conclusions on that thread which was (hopefully) out of character and I learned a lesson in the process.

A sad story, indeed.

You are a tool.

So, if the "victims" were at fault for pulling out without looking (and we all know that NEVER happens here in LOS) then it was just an "accident?"

Also, since when is 4 up on a motorbike part of a culture?

Having said that, IF this guy was drunk then, agreed, the book needs to be thrown but, if it was truly an accident, then it needs to be treated as such. Is it also part of the "culture" that the farang is responsible no matter what?

If another Thai apologist starts prattling on about "Don't forget that we are visitors in the country and this culture cannot be compared to any other as to what is normal or abnormal" I might very well throw up on their shoes. Why is it that prudent human behavior (or lack of it) is excused by "culture?"

I couldn't have put it better myself. No-one knows the facts here other then three people have tragically lost their lives and the usual lynch mob chip in with their 2 pence worth.

Just imagine this that if the Canadian driver was not drunk and it was just an awful accident how do you think he maybe feeling right now. why are some people so quick to condemn when they know nothing?

This story probably happened yesterday in every town in Thailand. Or on every day of the week. Only difference is that a Westerner was driving in this case. I'm not sure if Thailand doesn't have the worst road accident stats in the world, but it couldn't be far off...? :o (Anybody find some stats?)

Tragedy is normality here. Four kids up on a motocy weaving all over the road are "narak" or "dek keng maak" until the inevitable happens, and then its utter shock horror, outrage, grief, and indignation...

Lets suspend judgment on this Canadian person until all the facts are clarified, shall we?

Edited by kmart

Umm, kmart, it was a mom and dad and their two children, not 4 kids driving. Did you read the OP by george?

So far, I just see endless speculation, most of it blaming the Thai family when NO FACTS ARE KNOWN, except the Canadian was arrested as drunk and 3 people are dead.

Pardon my shouting but the scenarios people have come up with and produced as fact are just astounding.

Umm, kmart, it was a mom and dad and their two children, not 4 kids driving. Did you read the OP by george?

So far, I just see endless speculation, most of it blaming the Thai family when NO FACTS ARE KNOWN, except the Canadian was arrested as drunk and 3 people are dead.

Pardon my shouting but the scenarios people have come up with and produced as fact are just astounding.

I read the OP, just plucking out a sample, sbk: I narrowly missed hitting 4 schoolgirls on my way to work, just this morning. I drive a lot for my job, and I see horrors here quite often.... Its the only thing that still alienates me from Thai thinking; the way they drive and casually disregard their own and others' safety. Its a bugbear of mine, whether the Canadian guy in the OP was drunk or not. :o

That is not entirely accurate there have been a number of posts supporting the throw away the key treatment. At this stage it has only been alledged the driver was drunk but one fact we do know is that there were four people on a motorbike which is also illegal.

Unfortunately these types of accidents will go on happening until the police start enforcing Thailands traffic laws and maybe the government start trying to educate people re the dangers of drink driving, no helmets and four on a motorbike etc.

RIP to those poor children.

What is wrong with you people? Haven’t you seen enough kangaroo court justice in your lives? Hang em! Throw away the key! I imagine if any of you were friends with the Canadian you would be a little less eager for blood and willing at least to wait for an official report on the alcohol.

Every drive I make in this country is a continual parade of dangerous and careless driving. I think it’s the grace of God that half the population isn’t wiped out annually. I must have saved the lives of hundreds by now by simply keeping my eyes open and my brake foot ready. And when I am on my motorcycle, I become the prey and driving back to my house seems more like self defense than commuting.

I feel very bad for the lady who lost her family, but lynch mobs are the lowest form of reactionary animal instinct. Maybe someday you will get a jury treating you as fairly.

Another tradgedy and more questionable commentary from the uninformed or those who choose to live in a fantasy world where bad things dont happen to nice people and where justice prevails because its the right thing, "Integrity is for the unfortunate!"

Whoever was driving should consider himself lucky that the accident ocurred in a Buddhist village. Elsewhere on the island justice may have been dispensed on the spot.

My question for Chinthee is what other village is there in Phuket? The implication is that Buddhists are not capeable of violence, I would like to hear from one poster who has lived in Thailand for a few years and have never encountered a violent Buddhist. In many cases even the murdering hitman of Thailand go straight to a Wat with their blood money to get forgiveness and monk blessings, just ask around.

On another note, how many reading this are completly ignoring the fact a man in a mercedees purposly ran over a crowd of innocent people murdering one and maiming others yet one drunk, a questionable drunk with no intentions of purposfully hurting anyone ran over a motercycle with family on a island where drunkeness is not only tolerated it is encouraged to the point of endless accidental deaths. In the comparison the drunk it is suggested should be hung by the neck until dead yet the murdering VIP is treated as a victem, how sick is this?

In one boxing school in Phuket 2 or 3 farang were killed on motercycles and one trainer was maimed or put in a wheelchair for life in less than one year, not sure exactly on details but the point is Phuket is very dangerous for motorcycles. Riding more than 2 on a motercycle impairs the drivers ability limiting the possibility of avoiding an accident but putting children on motercycles on a road is just asking for tears and cremation smoke. While I dont put blame on the driver of the motorcycle I am fully implying the Thai Police and Government are responsible for the deaths of thousands for the completely ignorant, backwards, and intlolerable laws, enforcement, and education concerning road safety in the Land Of Smiles or Land of Tragidy depending on your view, If you choose to live here I suggest a strong stomach.

I read in The Daily News yesterday that it was a Canadian woman who was driving.

Do you have a link to this news report, Bannork?

I'm not sure if The Daily News prints all its stories online but if you buy a copy of today's Daily News but published yesterday, Thais are always clairvoyant about the future, the story is near the back of the main section, one or two pages from the back page. It's quite a short piece.

Mai krap is spot on there. Were laws enforced accidents would be reduced. Its a shame that the police only feel it necessary to enforce the law on the day that their superiors have obviously told them to go out and do so.

How many times though, have I seen a parent on bike with helmet and the kid on the back without. That's some thoughtless shit right there.

I read in The Daily News yesterday that it was a Canadian woman who was driving.

Do you have a link to this news report, Bannork?

I'm not sure if The Daily News prints all its stories online but if you buy a copy of today's Daily News but published yesterday, Thais are always clairvoyant about the future, the story is near the back of the main section, one or two pages from the back page. It's quite a short piece.

My husband didn't see it in either yesterday's online paper or today.