Biggest Ever Swing in By-Election

I am now 66.

In my time I have seen successive governments come and go. Both Tory and Labour .

All I can assume from this is that if none of them had made a pigs ear of their time in office then they would have retained their office come election time.

Either that or the expectations of the electorate are somewhat fickle and they just fancy a change in the belief that the other mob will in someway do more for them than those in the driving seat.

And so , the never ending cycle of musical chairs continues.

In the recent Thai elections,  a breath of fresh air blew in and was quickly blown out.

I can't  help feeling that if the UK does not get a similar breath of fresh air then the countries downward slide will continue .

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, stratocaster said:

The best two stories doing the rounds are the Tory supporters claiming it is just a by election blip. The other is that a faction within the far right Tory MP's are pushing for Nigel Farage to be the next leader of the party. Firstly he would need to find a safe Tory seat at the general election and those will be like hens teeth to find. Also the last time he stood for parliment he was beaten by a candidate dressed as a dolphin.

Suella won't be happy. As I write she's probably looking for a reason to deport Nige.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

There is little doubt in my mind that Labour will win the next election, people will vote for them knowing illegal immigration will get much worse.

Tony Blair and Jeremy Corbyn are waiting in the wing, these guys will decide policy, not Starmer IMHO

The problems that people are tired of in the UK are being faced by most major European countries, cost of living, immigration, strikes, high interest rated and inflation

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

4 minutes ago, Seppius said:

There is little doubt in my mind that Labour will win the next election, people will vote for them knowing illegal immigration will get much worse.

Tony Blair and Jeremy Corbyn are waiting in the wing, these guys will decide policy, not Starmer IMHO

The problems that people are tired of in the UK are being faced by most major European countries, cost of living, immigration, strikes, high interest rated and inflation

Hogwash.

The main voter concerns are the cost of living crisis and the NHS crisis (which will get worse over the winter).

The Tories have made ‘illegal’ immigration their central platform, together with promoting culture wars they talk of little else.

Clearly the Tory focus on immigration failed, two absolute hammerings in these bye-elections ought to have driven that message home.

Corbyn is not a member of the Labour Party

Tony Blair is not coming back or deciding any policies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, stratocaster said:

Be interesting to see the news from the UK on Wednesday, as the Tory party will reveal if 52 no confidence letters have been received in regards to Sunak. Rumor has it that 40 had been submitted before the last by-by elections.

Now that would be a laugh.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/21/2023 at 2:22 PM, Chomper Higgot said:

Hogwash.

The main voter concerns are the cost of living crisis and the NHS crisis (which will get worse over the winter).

The Tories have made ‘illegal’ immigration their central platform, together with promoting culture wars they talk of little else.

Clearly the Tory focus on immigration failed, two absolute hammerings in these bye-elections ought to have driven that message home.

Corbyn is not a member of the Labour Party

Tony Blair is not coming back or deciding any policies.

If you don't think Blair and Corbyn will not be heavily involved in a new Labour government, you will be in for a shock, immigration and left wing wokeness will be out of control, bad enough as it is

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Let me know when you have some facts to discuss.

How is this for a start

https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-tony-blair-advise-next-labour-government/

Former British Prime Minister Tony Blair wants to advise the next Labour government, he told the New Statesman in an interview excerpts of which were published Thursday

16 minutes ago, Seppius said:

How is this for a start

https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-tony-blair-advise-next-labour-government/

Former British Prime Minister Tony Blair wants to advise the next Labour government, he told the New Statesman in an interview excerpts of which were published Thursday

Tony Blair wants?

Now how about Jeremy?

I think voters are more worried about a return of Truss, or worse still any of the extremist loons lining up to take Sunak’s job at the first opportunity.

1 hour ago, Seppius said:

If you don't think Blair and Corbyn will not be heavily involved in a new Labour government, you will be in for a shock, immigration and left wing wokeness will be out of control, bad enough as it is

Given that Corbyn will not be a Labour MP in the next Parliament, it's pretty certain that he will not be a member of any Labour government.

1 hour ago, RayC said:

Given that Corbyn will not be a Labour MP in the next Parliament, it's pretty certain that he will not be a member of any Labour government.

I never said he would be an MP, or in the government, neither will Blair, but won't stop either being highly influential in the running of the country

Edited by Seppius
missed an N

On 10/28/2023 at 4:10 PM, Seppius said:

I never said he would be an MP, or in the government, neither will Blair, but won't stop either being highly influential in the running of the country

I can imagine that Blair may have some influence on Starmer if the latter becomes PM, as they appear to have similar views on many issues.

Corbyn? Can you elaborate on how he might influence a PM Starmer. They don't appear to have much in common politically, and probably aren't drinking buddies.