Nationwide mobile log in

I've just been and played about with my profile online and it appears to accept overseas numbers, even giving guidance on how to enter with the country code etc.  However, even removing my UK mobile number altogether, it still used it to send the OTP to, so it must be kept in the background somehow.

Edit.  The help feature indicates it might stick if you log in with a card reader instead of the OTP as I was doing.  I don't have one here to try.

Edit 2.  While I was playing around I noticed the +66 in the Thailand number sometimes got corrupted to 6666, so a card reader is essential if you're going to play about with it so you don't get locked out completely.

3 hours ago, treetops said:

I've just been and played about with my profile online and it appears to accept overseas numbers, even giving guidance on how to enter with the country code etc.  However, even removing my UK mobile number altogether, it still used it to send the OTP to, so it must be kept in the background somehow.

Edit.  The help feature indicates it might stick if you log in with a card reader instead of the OTP as I was doing.  I don't have one here to try.

Edit 2.  While I was playing around I noticed the +66 in the Thailand number sometimes got corrupted to 6666, so a card reader is essential if you're going to play about with it so you don't get locked out completely.

"The help feature indicates it might stick if you log in with a card reader instead of the OTP as I was doing."

What do you mean might stick? 

Did you manage to get the OTP sent to your Thai mobile? 

My number is +660812345678 did you omit the zero before entering the number as +66812345678

7 hours ago, PPGuy said:

I also use a card reader which, as others have stated, also works.

Can someone explain, simply, how a card reader works please, when it has no internet access.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Can someone explain, simply, how a card reader works please, when it has no internet access.

I don't know the technical side but you put your card in, type in your pin number and the card reader shows a code

11 hours ago, salavan said:

I don't know the technical side but you put your card in, type in your pin number and the card reader shows a code

It was the technical side I was wanting. Bingle will help. Thanks

11 hours ago, salavan said:

I was told in a branch last month it is going to be phased out within a year for logging in and will have to use pass number to log in. App is easier as no SMS needed when logging in. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, KannikaP said:

The only thing I can figure out is that IMO your card is imbedded with certain info. And you can use any UK bank card reader, no matter what bank. Therefore it must be in the card.  

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, proton said:

I was told in a branch last month it is going to be phased out within a year for logging in and will have to use pass number to log in. App is easier as no SMS needed when logging in. 

That has not been mentioned in any emails to me from them, 

like "look what's new, how we are changing" I sincerely hope they keep the readers. I HATE apps

2 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

like "look what's new, how we are changing" I sincerely hope they keep the readers. I HATE apps

I was surprised but she seemed quite certain about it

• Sad 1

Been reading this thread with interest.

Can you use the mobile app in Thailand using a Thai phone number ?? If so, do you have to contact NW to get some details in order to log on or do you just have to ensure your Thai number is listed in the contact details ?? 

Thanks.

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

You'll HATE being denied access to your banking more.

1 hour ago, proton said:

So how will we revive this pass number? 

15 hours ago, KannikaP said:

All the information that the card reader needs is loaded onto the chip before the card is issued. The same data is, of course, known to the bank. (obviously or the system wouldn't work)

• Thanks 1

On 10/21/2023 at 11:19 AM, salavan said:

Does anyone know if you can use a Thai mobile number to receive a one time log-in pass number from nationwide building society. If your using a UK address

I do receive SMSs from NBS to my Thai mobile number, but I don't recall ever receiving a OTP number. You have me puzzled there. NBS uses the mobile app for authorizing transactions.

14 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I do receive SMSs from NBS to my Thai mobile number, but I don't recall ever receiving a OTP number. You have me puzzled there. NBS uses the mobile app for authorizing transactions.

Can you log in with the sms

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

54 minutes ago, salavan said:

Can you log in with the sms

I've just now said:  'I don't recall ever receiving a OTP number, so how would I know?'

17 hours ago, salavan said:

"The help feature indicates it might stick if you log in with a card reader instead of the OTP as I was doing."

What do you mean might stick? 

Did you manage to get the OTP sent to your Thai mobile?

By stick I meant the Thai number I entered would be saved and used for OTPs.  I could see it was saved but it kept using my overseas number for the OTPs even though it wasn't in my profile any longer.

I couldn't finalise things as I don't have a card reader and it indicated that you had to log in with the card reader to make a change that will cause OTPs to go to a different number.

My number is +660812345678 did you omit the zero before entering the number as +66812345678

Yes.