I have enough of it, what are my options?

Confuscious

On 10/21/2023 at 2:00 PM, Confuscious said:

Since the last upgrade of Windows 11, I gave up and look for someting else.
Windows is forcing the EDGE, Photos, and other software trought my throat and the is no way to disable the them or chose for a different program.
Every time I want to open a picture, a movie, or a website with a different program, Windows ask me if I am sure of my choice and rethink about using their crappy program with lots of advertissements.

Yes indeed W11 isa bit of a problem. I recently bought a budget notebook for my wife and that came with W11. 

What they have done is set the default file association to Edge so every time you try and do something it wants to make you use Edge, even with some new document processing features. If you go through the file associations and change all set to Edge to the program of choice it should cure that problem.

Not sure what you mean with Google and Chrome, I have used those for years without a problem. My email is "googlemail.com" and they were discontinued in 2010. Some of the other suggestions may help but I would advise against an android operating system device. I had one and got rid after about a year.

On 10/21/2023 at 3:12 PM, Countryman said:

ASEANNOW , is getting nearer to  the bottom everyday with posts like this,

and others like it , the TicToc of forums ...

what your issue? If dont like Windows and want to look for alternative.. thats the bottom? get a Life... loser 

Since the last upgrade of Windows 11, I gave up and look for someting else.

Ah.

Windows is forcing the EDGE, Photos, and other software trought my throat and the is no way to disable the them or chose for a different program.

Yes, there is.

Every time I want to open a picture, a movie, or a website with a different program, Windows ask me if I am sure of my choice and rethink about using their crappy program with lots of advertissements.

Oh, Google around and learn how properly to change Win 11’s default apps.

Not only Windows, but many big software companies are going the same road.

WOT? You mean when you, say, open a .pdf file with Adobe Acrobat Reader, Adobe also suggests that you should use Edge instead? OMG. It's a conspiracy.

Chrome has now occupied almost my full hard disk storing all kind of crapware to trace my habits and publish their crap.

1 GB occupies your almost full hard disk? ☹️ Why don’t you just go in and clean out all the crapware that’s tracing your habits and publishing the resulting crap?

Have you received a Low Disk Space notification? Let’s have a screenshot of Disk Management to check the space on your puny drives.

Google is going the same way and I only use their email because I have the same email address a long time.

Now Google is suggesting you use Edge instead of Chrome when you check your email? M'soft has its tentacles everywhere! But in fact, if you use Edge for the purpose, Google will suggest you use Chrome instead. Why not? However, you may find that suggestion stressful. Some computer geek could probably tell you how to remove it.

Using an email client will end your distress over that issue. 

I want to opt for another operating system which is user friendly and don't force their crapware down my throat.

Consensus holds that MacOS is about as dumbed down as a serious OS can get. Mac users love their Macs, love their apps, and never complain about any crapware. Favored among Thai ladies. Deprived users, now, might contend that a sunk cost fallacy lies at the bottom of such adoration, but—sour grapes, no doubt. Apple does have much to recommend it.

Edited by BigStar
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JayClay said:

847Mb is nothing 

In linux if you DL what would be a small progr /app in windows , you get enormous flatpacks or snaps installs.

Their software store has smaller size but their updates are bad. 

So if you are worried over 847 MB , don't use linux.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am not computer savvy, so it is taking a bit of time to understand some of the posts, It is, however, interesting to read, and learn what Windows is doing. My main complaint with Windows 11 is the 30 second lag between closing one window on the desktop, and opening another. I have looked online to no avail, as it seems Microsoft is ignoring this problem totally. A small inconvenience, I admit, but still a nuisance when you are sitting waiting for the desktop icon to highlight before you can open it.

On 10/21/2023 at 6:00 PM, connda said:

Exactly.  MS Windows is a resource hog.  The mass of multiple programs running in the background by default sucks the life out of your computer and opens multiple vectors for hacks and attacks.

Linux is not perfect, but it is well written, well maintained, Open-Source, secure when compared to Windows, and the system updates continually, not primarily on "Security Update 2nd Tuesday of the month" and the Update Manager updates the system in seconds....not minutes or hours.  It also offers a number of different desktops that don't drastically change between versions. 

Linux Desktop Environments examples:
    XFCE
    GNOME
    KDE Plasma
    MATE
    LXDE
    Enlightenment
    Deepin
    LXQT
    Cinnamon

I despise when software company mutilate their User Interfaces in order to make them "more intuitive."  Example, Adobe Acrobat just rolled out an abortion of a new User Interface.  For now you can roll back.  If they force it on customers I'm going to defect.  Linux Desktop Environments stay fairly stable.  If they don't - go to another desktop that does.  Microsoft does it every time the roll out a new version. <gag>.

And best - Linux is FREE.

I finally gave up on Acrobat at version 10. Very little new but they totally buggered the UI.

When they changed to only subscription model I bolted.

Checkout PDF Element by Wondershare.

It's over 100$ for a perpetual license. It is better and easier to use than acrobat too.

I'm reading this thread because I'm buying a new laptop and will finally get rid of windows. Never went from W10 to 11. Two years ago I installed a small exe file that changed the registry to never download updates. I regularly back up my files to two separate offline drives and keep my virus protection up to date. Haven't had any problems but time to dump the Microsoft headache for good. Going to Linux for sure.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/21/2023 at 3:58 PM, freeworld said:

Firefox for a browser.

Use one of the many Linux distros (with persistence) from a USB.

This way you get to keep windows as the main OS and use linux.

To be honest I do not have any problems in windows, just go into settings, harden the safety security settings and toggle/turnoff most of the other stuff in settings.

another up tick for Firefox, plus it is constantly improving its products. Its a non profit, i think. I use windows 11 OS - no problems, provided you do your maintenance. love Mozilla products. for email and vpn I use Proton. again, offers a non profit version.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2023 at 2:53 PM, connda said:

Linux my friend.

Start by downloading a Linux version ISO image. 
https://www.linux.org/pages/download/
Burn it to a thumb-drive using an app like Rufus or Universal USB Installer or LinuxLive USB Creator.  Set your system boot order so it will boot to the USB drive. Need suggestions to start with?  Ubuntu or Linux Mint.  Both have in-depth, online forums and Newbie threads.

Then take a drive of a few Linux versions.  Like what you see?  You can install it so it dual-boots with your current Windows.

But - after you get tired of that arrangement, consider buying a new computer with 1 TB SSD (or 2 TB) and only installing the Linux version you like.  Then study how to set up and run your Windows in a Virtualbox Virtual Machine.

Use Windows when you have to, enjoy Linux most of the time.

Also, buy a 2 TB USB 3.0 hard-drive and back up everything you currently have.
If you go to Linux, learn to make disk images using Clonezilla Live.  By this point you'll probably have enough knowledge that you have separate partitions for your system files (root) and user files (home). 

geezus  ,i'm a dinosaur

2 hours ago, JayClay said:

And how exactly do you interface with Google?

I click on Chrome on desk top, which on mine opens up Bing (do not ask me why) then key in Google in search, scroll down and you will find one that just says Google, click on it and Google opens up

Learn how to set default programs in Windows.

Switch to Brave browser. (Incidentally the mobile version blocks ads on sites like this one.)

Run a Windows cleaner like CCleaner to get rid of junk and speed up yr PC.

3 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

I am not computer savvy, so it is taking a bit of time to understand some of the posts, It is, however, interesting to read, and learn what Windows is doing. My main complaint with Windows 11 is the 30 second lag between closing one window on the desktop, and opening another. I have looked online to no avail, as it seems Microsoft is ignoring this problem totally. A small inconvenience, I admit, but still a nuisance when you are sitting waiting for the desktop icon to highlight before you can open it.

30 seconds ? Or 3 ?

Are you using a HDD ?

3 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

A former boss of mine once said if a human has to wait for a computer, the software was written by fools.

Opening a new tab or closing a redundant one in Linux/Firefox is a function of how fast I can move and click with a trackpad or mouse.

For the "dreaded to death" answer in this thread: NOTICE THE ABSENCE FROM *.JPG in the choice of default programs!!!
You CAN NOT SELECT *.JPG anymore!!!
*.JPG is reserved for MICROS.H.I.T.
In the Registrery, you can not change *JPG destination.

Could contain:

12 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

For the "dreaded to death" answer in this thread: NOTICE THE ABSENCE FROM *.JPG in the choice of default programs!!!
You CAN NOT SELECT *.JPG anymore!!!
*.JPG is reserved for MICROS.H.I.T.
In the Registrery, you can not change *JPG destination.

OMG. But GIYF.

I think I fixed it. I went to "Apps and Features", found Microsoft Photos, clicked on the hamburger menu on the far right, chose "advanced options" went to the Reset section and performed both the Repair and the Reset functions. After that I was then able to associate jpg and other file types to Irfanview.

--https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/widows-11-setting-default-program-for-jpg-files-is/f70ec1d9-3c63-4b80-9c80-fd91e19685f8

But enough spoonfeeding. Windows always has little issues, no matter the version. Linux, somebody would have to set up carefully for you, taking into account your sensitivities. MacOS is what you need.

Meanwhile, while getting answers yourself, you're ignoring:

20 hours ago, BigStar said:

Have you received a Low Disk Space notification? Let’s have a screenshot of Disk Management to check the space on your puny drives.

11 minutes ago, BigStar said:

OK. Fastest way would be for you to right-click on the underlined sentence.

image.png.199dce708a294e38c55516dd46546cd1.png

Very useful acronym. It can be googled, BTW.

I am not sure what that has to do with a 30 second wait time between tabs on Windows 11 the poster was complaining about.

I binned Windows 14 years ago in favour of Linux; best thing I've ever done.  I tried several distros before settling for Linux Mint, and am still using that now.

As a Windows user, you won't get lost with Mint.  You won't have to learn any coding, unless you want to.  

Download the latest Mint ISO, and try it on your computer without installing.

Excellent system, really.

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

I am not sure what that has to do with a 30 second wait time between tabs on Windows 11 the poster was complaining about.

He didn't mention tabs. He said windows. He also didn't say "switching" between windows but closing and opening. That implies starting up a program. All programs, or particular programs? When? Any time? What other programs are also running? Oh--Norton😉 doing a scan, which he's installed and don't need. He would have to provide more details to analyze what he really means and fix it. Our forum experts will simply recommend a clean reinstall on an SSD. Fixing? Whassat?

In any case, commonly used programs don't by default open slowly nowadays on Windows on reasonably modern hardware. Hardware and resource usage are in fact under control of the user by choice, whether he realizes it or not.

Now, I run Fedora XFCE on an ancient throwaway netbook I keep around to tempt maids to steal in cheap hotel rooms. It's light and lovable, but it ain't fast. Open 15 tabs on Chromium, and it slows to a crawl, if Chromium doesn't outright freeze. Fedora itself don't crash, though, whereas Windows did. So that's all to the good. 

• Thanks 1