Fixing darkened LCD screen

BenStark

51 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

I've done this quite a few times and it works but sometimes a new polarized filter is needed.

That's the film which goes between the glass and the reflective backing.

Thanks for the confirmation. The glue seems to be difficult to remove, so the question is, does it have to be removed, or what chemical could I use?

To be precise, I have removed the silver foil, and cleaned with alcohol.

The surface is very even and not sticky anymore, but it's matt.

Edited by BenStark

2 hours ago, BenStark said:

Thanks for the confirmation. The glue seems to be difficult to remove, so the question is, does it have to be removed, or what chemical could I use?

To be precise, I have removed the silver foil, and cleaned with alcohol.

The surface is very even and not sticky anymore, but it's matt.

That surface is or was the polarized film. It's possible that the "glue" is/was the polarized film but not to worry. When you reassemble the screen it will still work but maybe a bit fainter than the original.

If you feel you need to get a new polarized film, a quick search on Shopee will do the trick. The magic search words are "polarized film" would you believe. They are very cheap.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

That surface is or was the polarized film. It's possible that the "glue" is/was the polarized film but not to worry. When you reassemble the screen it will still work but maybe a bit fainter than the original.

If you feel you need to get a new polarized film, a quick search on Shopee will do the trick. The magic search words are "polarized film" would you believe. They are very cheap.

Thanks for the help, I'll give it a try

21 hours ago, Muhendis said:

Success. Not 100% perfect because I didn't get all the glue removed, and on second thought I shouldn't have attempted to remove, but the result is to my satisfaction, which usually is hard to meet.

Thanks for your help.

For future projects, can I just order any polarized film from Shopee, or should I look at certain specifications?

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, BenStark said:

For future projects, can I just order any polarized film from Shopee, or should I look at certain specifications?

Your into the frontiers of science and technology with polarized films.

Maybe there's a You Tube which does it.

Alternatively buy some polarized film and experiment.

Then post on here.