Democrats gloat as Republicans start over on Speaker search

Social Media

image.png

Multiple Democrat House members dug into their Republican counterparts on Tuesday as the GOP conference finds itself back at square one following the collapse of House Majority Whip Tom Emmer’s (R-Minn.) Speakership nomination.

House Democrats took to social media to call out the chaos within the GOP conference and urge lawmakers to find a solution — potentially a bipartisan one — to resume the functions of the lower chamber.

Rep. Norma Torres (D-Calif.) posted a video of herself crossing out former Speaker Kevin McCarthy’s (R-Calif.) name along with the 10 Republican lawmakers who have run for Speaker in the past three weeks. The California Democrat said “nope,” after crossing off each name and attached the text, “An update – the #GOPChaosContinues!”

Reposting a video of GOP Rep. Andy Barr (Ky.) who said, “We might as well have Hakeem Jeffries and the Democrats control the Congress,” Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) wrote “Agreed,” in a post on X.

In another post on X, Rep. Steven Hosford (D-Nev.) posted a meme that said, “I would like to see the chaos,” with the words “House Republicans,” below.

“I’m convinced some of my colleagues are enjoying this crisis. “We must end the chaos,” Hosford wrote. “End the dysfunction. End the extremism. Let’s reopen the house. A bipartisan agreement appears to be the only clear path.”

Some lawmakers have argued a bipartisan solution may be the only path to a Speakership in the wake of intense GOP division.

Pushing for the election of House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.), Rep. Dwight Evans (D-Penn.) wrote on X, “It’s been 21 days & the Republicans still can’t get it together and elect a House Speaker. I believe Democratic Leader [Jeffries] is the best person to lead the House in a bipartisan manner to get things done for the American people. Republicans, work with us already!”

FULL STORY

THEHILL-250.png

It appears that bipartisanship is the path forward meanwhile trump is in the back round doing his best to sabotage the house’s efforts to select a speaker I guess he’s hoping to shut down the government what a piece of (work) !

Edited by Tug
  • Like 1