Nested posts/replies?

topt

I sometimes want to reply to some posts and it would be more relevant to see the post that they had replied to as well. This used to be easy in the past but either something changed or I have forgotten.....

Can someone simply describe how I can reply to both the poster I am quoting and the original post they replied to? 

Thanks.

43 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I think the easiest way is to use the multi quote button (+ sign) on each of the posts you want to include in your reply. Then your reply will include those posts.

Thanks but they are still separate and if on different pages I seem to have issues. I have seen one poster in particular who regularly uses nested quotes so I know it should be possible......

59 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I think the easiest way is to use the multi quote button (+ sign) on each of the posts you want to include in your reply. Then your reply will include those posts.

14 minutes ago, topt said:

Thanks but they are still separate and if on different pages I seem to have issues. I have seen one poster in particular who regularly uses nested quotes so I know it should be possible......

As you said, it was much easier in past editions of TV/AN. Maybe PM that poster and ask them how it's done.

On 10/25/2023 at 4:26 PM, topt said:
On 10/25/2023 at 3:41 PM, chickenslegs said:

Like this?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, treetops said:
10 minutes ago, topt said:

Yes exactly. How do you do it?

I pressed the "Quote" button in your post, then positioned the cursor in that quote box at the start of the text and pressed return to generate an empty line.  Put the cursor in that empty line and pressed the "Quote" button in chickenslegs post.

I'm not sure if creating the empty line is needed but that's what I did (if it makes sense).

That certainly seems to work. Thank you very much for making the effort for me. :thumbsup:

I do it a slightly different way.

I position the cursor in the post I want to quote and then press and hold the left mouse button. Then move the mouse pointer to select all the text you want to quote. Then release the mouse button and the "Quote selection" appears. Press on that and the selected text is quoted. See pic below. The cursor is initially positioned immediately after the arrow point.

Could contain:

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, treetops said:
26 minutes ago, topt said:

Yes exactly. How do you do it?

I pressed the "Quote" button in your post, then positioned the cursor in that quote box at the start of the text and pressed return to generate an empty line.  Put the cursor in that empty line and pressed the "Quote" button in chickenslegs post.

I'm not sure if creating the empty line is needed but that's what I did (if it makes sense).

Just tried it and it sounds even easier.

Edit.  Should have included Mutt Daeng's post as that's what I was replying to.

Edited by treetops
  • Thanks 1