How long can I wait to transfer Visa to new passport?

I have an elite visa and am about to renew my passport.  Does anyone know how long I have to transfer the visa to the new passport?  I would like to go ahead and renew the passport now, but wait until early next year to transfer the visa when I leave and re-enter the country.  Does anyone know if that is possible?

My passport was damaged, so when I returned to my home-country I applied for a new one. 

My old (damaged) Passport contained my 1-year Permission to stay stamp based on my Non Imm O Retirement Visa, as well as a Re-Entry Permit.

So when I re-entered Thailand I had to show both the old Passport as well as my new Passport, and the date of the Re-Entry Permit protected Permission to stay date from my old Passport, was stamped as Permission to stay in my new Passport.

After 90 days I went to my local Imm Office, to do my 90-day report (as it was a new Passport it has to be done in person), and there they officially transferred the relevant stamps from my old Passport to my new Passport, as well as stapled a next due date 90-day report notification in my new passport. 

So basically you can do the - free of cost - stamp-transfer at any time convenient for you, so it is best to do it at your next visit to an Imm Office.

NOTE: The Elite Visa procedure may differ, but it should be a similar procedure. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ripstanley said:

Be sure you also change your new passport number at your local bank and drivers licence if you have one. 

Bank for sure & credit card.  Went to agent to update driver's license and was told not necessary (nobody does).  Your new passport will reference the old passport when visa is transferred.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

I thought if you had an Elite visa there were people to take care of such things? 

They don't renew passports.  They handle transferring the Visa and confirmed what previous posters mentioned that it's not necessary until my next extension/trip abroad.

• Haha 1