King Charles stops short of apology for ‘abhorrent’ colonial violence in Kenya

Social Media

On 11/2/2023 at 1:31 PM, Keep Right said:

I am not British but as someone who has traveled throughout Kenya and much of Africa, I have witnessed the many extensive projects that the British have built to improve the lives of Africans. I seriously think that many lives would have been lost due to starvation, disease, wars, accidents and others if the British would not have colonized parts of Africa.

"More than half a century after the British Empire entered its endgame, historians are nowhere near a full assessment of the carnage shrouded by its preacherly cant, and, later, by administrators’ bonfires of documents as they prepared for the last boat out. The richest sense we have of the damage inflicted on colonies tends to come in regional silos. Elkins doggedly links them, moving from South Africa to India, Ireland to Palestine, and on to Malaya, Kenya, Cyprus, and Aden, revealing a pattern visible only in the long view. As military and police personnel crisscrossed the Empire, spreading techniques of repression far and wide, the higher-ups rarely checked such violence. Instead, over and again, they gave it the full force of law—sustaining more brutality still."

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/04/04/the-british-empire-was-much-worse-than-you-realize-caroline-elkinss-legacy-of-violence

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, placeholder said:

"More than half a century after the British Empire entered its endgame, historians are nowhere near a full assessment of the carnage shrouded by its preacherly cant, and, later, by administrators’ bonfires of documents as they prepared for the last boat out. The richest sense we have of the damage inflicted on colonies tends to come in regional silos. Elkins doggedly links them, moving from South Africa to India, Ireland to Palestine, and on to Malaya, Kenya, Cyprus, and Aden, revealing a pattern visible only in the long view. As military and police personnel crisscrossed the Empire, spreading techniques of repression far and wide, the higher-ups rarely checked such violence. Instead, over and again, they gave it the full force of law—sustaining more brutality still."

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/04/04/the-british-empire-was-much-worse-than-you-realize-caroline-elkinss-legacy-of-violence

Have you told me your country yet, or have I missed it....🤭

I can't wait to know......😉

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Can you tell me why this is relevant? I can't wait to know.

Because I will do a bit of research on it, to see how incredibly "whiter than white" your ancestors were, to perhaps come back at you.

After all, you always trash the UK whenever you can....😉

PS. I bet you don't tell me, you will come up with an essay of tripe.......😁

• Love It 1

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Because I will do a bit of research on it, to see how incredibly "whiter than white" your ancestors were, to perhaps come back at you.

After all, you always trash the UK whenever you can....😉

PS. I bet you don't tell me, you will come up with an essay of tripe.......😁

Well, if you think that the current Tory government is the UK, then you have a point. Although, I did express approval of said government on a few occasion for their support of offshore wind power. Anyway,  I will confess that, bizarrely enough,  I personally don't believe that the UK and the Tories are identical.

I can only assume that you're trying to make this personal because you haven't actually got any facts to muster against what I've posted.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Well, if you think that the current Tory government is the UK, then you have a point. Although, I did express approval of said government on a few occasion for their support of offshore wind power. Anyway,  I will confess that, bizarrely enough,  I personally don't believe that the UK and the Tories are identical.

I can only assume that you're trying to make this personal because you haven't actually got any facts to muster against what I've posted.

I gave you a laugh emo, seems you are ashamed of your own country....:whistling:

I'm not, I am English.............:clap2:

640+ A Flag Of England Blowing In The Wind Stock Photos, Pictures &  Royalty-Free Images - iStock

• Thanks 2

On 11/2/2023 at 7:16 PM, Seppius said:

No worse than the French, Spanish, Portuguese, Belgium and Dutch at the time 555

are any of these countries currently still receiving rewards from their bad past/historical activities, if so please provide relevant back up data

On 11/2/2023 at 1:25 PM, Chomper Higgot said:

The events to which King Charles was referring and which are the subject of this thread happened in the period between the end of WW2 and Kenyan independence in 1962, they are within the living memory of many who were subjected to the atrocities.

you will not make too many UK friends by reminding them about UK royalty atrocities, mostly the "old" generation are in denial of any wrong doing by the UK  555

27 minutes ago, placeholder said:

So now the question is should England be ashamed of you.

Why should they be, both my Grandfathers were in the WWI trenches, my dad was an R.S.M. in WWII....But one things for sure, you are ashamed to post what country you come from, but quick to slag off G.B......😒

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, transam said:

Why should they be, both my Grandfathers were in the WWI trenches, my dad was an R.S.M. in WWII....But one things for sure, you are ashamed to post what country you come from, but quick to slag off G.B......😒

You got any evidence for that? And England is going to give you credit for the for the alleged deeds of your ancestors? I know  there's such a thing as inherited wealth. I didn't know that apparently there's such a thing as inherited sacrifice. Borrowing valour much?

Edited by placeholder
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, transam said:

Or maybe you're practicing some kind of weird English version of Buddhism. In standard Buddhism, adherents believe they get credit in this life for what they've done in their past lives. In your case, maybe you believe that you get credit in this life for what your ancestors have done? 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

You got any evidence for that? And England is going to give you credit for the for the alleged deeds of your ancestors? I know  there's such a thing as inherited wealth. I didn't know that apparently there's such a thing as inherited patriotism. Borrowing valour much?

Here you go again, looking for negativity to make your keyboard dribbling day.

Premium Photo | 3d, england flag waving on wind at mountain. english banner  blowing, soft and smooth silk. cloth fabric texture ensign background. use  it for national day and country occasions concept.

But you carry on doing your daily digging, a bloke who is ashamed to name his own country, I wonder why...........:whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, transam said:

Here you go again, looking for negativity to make your keyboard dribbling day.

Premium Photo | 3d, england flag waving on wind at mountain. english banner  blowing, soft and smooth silk. cloth fabric texture ensign background. use  it for national day and country occasions concept.

But you carry on doing your daily digging, a bloke who is ashamed to name his own country, I wonder why...........:whistling:

Here you go again, making evidence-free claims. And mind reading, to boot.

• Confused 2

Just now, placeholder said:

Or maybe you're practicing some kind of weird English version of Buddhism. In standard Buddhism, adherents believe they get credit in this life for what they've done in their past lives. In your case, maybe you believe that you get credit in this life for what your ancestors have done? 

Your a sad tool, placeholder, you should change your username to "Napkin", would be more apt...😉

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

Your a sad tool, placeholder, you should change your username to "Napkin", would be more apt...😉

More name callling. Your claim to be a source of pride to England because of the deeds of your forebears is patently ridiculous. Did they leave their virtue to you in their wills?

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

Have I........?   :whistling:.........😂

You made a claim that I'm ashamed of my nationality. Where's your evidence? That I refuse to disclose it? As you well know, there's a reason why the moderators disapprove of such stupidity as making  a member's nationality grounds for criticism.

• Confused 2

Just now, placeholder said:

More name callling. Your claim to be a source of pride to England because of the deeds of your forebears is patently ridiculous. Did they leave their virtue to you in their wills?

Aaaah, now the twisting ploy, you must be stuck in a corner, but it is your usual routine.

But you carry on, it's amusing for the readers....🤭

Just now, transam said:

Aaaah, now the twisting ploy, you must be stuck in a corner, but it is your usual routine.

But you carry on, it's amusing for the readers....🤭

It's amusing because you've given me such an abundance of clueless material to work with. Thanks for that.

• Confused 3

On 11/2/2023 at 3:29 AM, RuamRudy said:

Alleged? Are you suggesting that Britain never committed genocide, never massacred countless thousands of innocent men, women and children, stole billions of pounds from other countries and irreparably damaged their economic development?

Acknowledging that much of the relative wealth of the UK over the centuries is a result of the vast amount of rape and pillage conducted in developing countries, and that a lot of the problems in those countries today are legacies of the evil that Britain carried out all over the world is a start.

But there should be formal apologies, full return of stolen artefacts and financial atonement from the individuals and institutions who enjoy today the fruits of their ancestors' evils.

Sure, if we're going down this road, lets ensure the Italians also pay back every country they pillaged and enslaved under the banner of the Roman empire. Perhaps we should also get Mongolia to compensate the families of the 40million who were killed. Should the Russians also apologise for how many they killed (and do kill).

We have a great history, some good and some we're not proud of but I'm fed up with the "Brit-bashing" all the time. Most countries around the world have chequered histories including those in the European and African continents.

Edited by Chelseafan
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

You made a claim that I'm ashamed of my nationality. Where's your evidence? That I refuse to disclose it? As you well know, there's a reason why the moderators disapprove of such stupidity as making  a member's nationality grounds for criticism.

Aaaah, now the moderators' ploy......😋

You attack GB, I assume you are not British, I asked you your country, so I can make a comparison, you bottled it...........:clap2:

• Like 1