Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Neighbor's Dog Is Sick

Morch

There's this apartment/room for rent up the road. They (or someone there, no idea) got a bunch of dogs.

Get a little food once/twice a day, kids play with them as puppies, that's about it. Most times they hand out front, or on the road.

They aren't bad looking dogs, but never saw them being treated when they catch some disease or are wounded.

Our girl hates them all, except one.

A nice mix of Thai dog with something, white, good sized, weary of strangers, playful with other dogs. Maybe 5-7 yo.

They are quite friendly with each other, was even in the garden a couple of times, accepts food and rarely allows a pet.

Used to come by at nighttime stick around near the gate with her, get some dog food, and accompany us on the walk.

Haven't seen him for a few weeks, then this evening he showed up, skinny as anything, unstable on fit, slow, dirty as well.

Hid himself in the tall grass outside, looked miserable, hardly ate but drank water.

Now....

If he can be patched and healed, I wouldn't mind having him. Good company for the girl and he's got potential.

What I'm not so clear/worried about is

- 'Owner' reaction. In my mind, they ditched him. Guess Thai style maybe different thinking, depending on his condition.

- Say we take him in , heals all's well - previous owner and pack mates not far, maybe some confusion issues for him with that.

- Call vet to have a look, then if need to take him to clinic, but not 'my' dog - any problems there?

- Mrs. not averse to the idea, but worries people will think I'm a softy and start leaving pets at the gate.

Any thoughts? Ideas?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, marty147 said:

I've taken on two dogs this way. 

Ostensibly, they belonged to two different neighbours but after bringing them home for treatment and food, there was no pushback from their former owners.

Both dogs considered me their new dad and made no attempt to return to their original abode.

Go for it and please help this poor pup.

Not sure what he's down with or I'd bring him in. Don't want to put our girl in danger if it's something contagious.

Owner of the field next door is the former assistant headman and a good bloke, we'll see what he says tomorrow morning, then maybe bring the vet.

I've got 10 dogs, I take care of about 15 other temple dogs, and have probably cared for over 50 animals since I lived here.
If you take in one dog, people aren't going to drop anymore off at your gate.  Take the pup in.  It's good karma.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, connda said:

I've got 10 dogs, I take care of about 15 other temple dogs, and have probably cared for over 50 animals since I lived here.
If you take in one dog, people aren't going to drop anymore off at your gate.  Take the pup in.  It's good karma.  :thumbsup:

Went looking for him, not in the previous spot. I don't know if that's a good sign (got enough energy to move), or bad (off to sleep eternal on his own).

Check again in the morning. Hopefully he's still around.

16 minutes ago, Morch said:

Went looking for him, not in the previous spot. I don't know if that's a good sign (got enough energy to move), or bad (off to sleep eternal on his own).

Check again in the morning. Hopefully he's still around.

You're a good person. Good luck with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sadly, Buddy (aka Boyfriend) was found dead this morning. Our girl didn't want to leave, then saw a rat and forgot about it.

Farmer none too happy with 'owners', already knowing they'll leave it to him to deal with.

There's a macro working on a new house nearby, suggested he'll ask them for a few minutes help.

Thanks, everyone.

• Sad 1