Can this tooth be saved without a huge expense?

up2you2

Molar 37 bottom left back had a replacement filling done six months ago, it worked.
Now the side of this tooth has broken away, very small in area, but there seems a tremendous reluctance to try and repair it again.
I need to find somebody who is skilled in this department, and has the experience to be able to repair a filling to a recent filling.
Does anybody know of such, who doesn't shy away from such work please? 

Probably not enough tooth left to hold filling.  Had same issue with a molar.  2 choices, yank it for ฿1k, or root canal & crown (~฿17k).  Still have 28 other teeth and @ 68 yrs old, didn't really need .... yanked it.

If not enough tooth for RC & Crown, then implant ... ฿40-50k & up depending where done.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, up2you2 said:

I was quoted 35K yesterday for this, where and how long ado did you hear this price please?

That is what I paid a year ago, go to a dentist and not to a private hospital, they tend to be more expensive

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Probably not enough tooth left to hold filling.  Had same issue with a molar.  2 choices, yank it for ฿1k, or root canal & crown (~฿17k).  Still have 28 other teeth and @ 68 yrs old, didn't really need .... yanked it.

If not enough tooth for RC & Crown, then implant ... ฿40-50k & up depending where done.

This is good advice.

I had a similar problem with a back molar when a VERY old filling (I think I got it in my early teens), came out taking half the tooth with it. The dentist said there just wasn't enough tooth remaining to do anything other than yank it. I was supposed to then get an implant but to be honest, it's just not been that much of an issue to merit the hefty price of an implant so I just left it. I've got plenty of other teeth and eating isn't an issue and since it's at the back, it can't really be seen. 

• Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, up2you2 said:

I was quoted 35K yesterday for this, where and how long ado did you hear this price please?

Check that, as for single root, your molar will have 2 or even 3 roots, so 25k-35k would be more accurate, sorry about that, and @ Hua Hin.  Last crown I had was 12k I think, but quite some time ago (Udon Thani).  

1 hour ago, up2you2 said:

I paid 12k at Dental Hut off Rama 2 a couple of years ago, no special metals in the crown. Smaller places are cheaper than large chains or hospitals

45 minutes ago, ChasingTheSun said:

Since its a a molar, If its not painful, just leave it as is.

Whoa thank you.

It was just a very small pice of enamel that broke away, my concern has been that decay would then set in in this area.

The tooth is cgood I feel, the replacement filling worked six months ago.

I have never been in any pain regarding it.

What I can't understand, if a filling cannot be attached in the area, then is it not possible just to smooth this surface area, and then would this in itself stop decay setting in?

47 minutes ago, up2you2 said:

Whoa thank you.

It was just a very small pice of enamel that broke away, my concern has been that decay would then set in in this area.

What I can't understand, if a filling cannot be attached in the area, then is it not possible just to smooth this surface area, and then would this in itself stop decay setting in?

It does sound like you might need a second opinion but not sure where you are? If in Bangkok, I can recommend Asok Montri Dental Clinic - Dental Departures

Always good work and although not the cheapest, certainly not the most expensive.

Good luck!

I am located in Phuket.

I understand and appreciate that a Dentish might have to go the extra mile on this, but I feel that there must be another solution, to a tooth that is still sound, albeit with a filing inside of it.

No pain.

However a lot of pain in being quoted 35K for a tooth that's still okay.

21 hours ago, up2you2 said:

Whoa thank you.

A chopped tooth probably wont decay more than any other normal tooth if you can brush it as normal.

3 hours ago, ChasingTheSun said:

A chopped tooth probably wont decay more than any other normal tooth if you can brush it as normal.

Thank you - needed those reassuring words.

It seems to me that the profession is not so much in the extracting busibess of teeth, but far rather extracting money.

• Like 1