Vientiane

danbo

Hi

I am planning to be in Vientiane for about 1 week in order to "refresh" my visa.  Can anyone recommend a hotel in Vientiane (mid-range).  Also, any other tips welcomed, e.g.  must see; avoid at all costs.

NB:  What about currency - TC's okay ?

T.I.A

Dan

WiengChan (Vientiane)

A visa from the Lao Embassy is cheaper than visa on arrival - and VoA is only possibly at the airport or Friendship Bridge (as far as I know)  I took a VIP bus up to NongKhai ten days ago and arrived at the bridge just before it opened at 06.00 hours.  The only delay is filling in forms and we were in WiengChan about 7.30.  There are dozens of taxis on the other side of the bridge willing to drive you into town for 200 baht.  Take lots of small baht, or dollars.  You will get change in kip which you won't want.  You don't need to change money: don't bother with TCs.

My Thai friend and I stayed at XAYSOMBOUN GUESTHOUSE opposite the Chaleunxay Hotel on Khounbolom Road.  Cost 600 baht for TV and air con.  Clean and comfortable.  They speak English and Vietnamese (as well as Thai/Lao).

Two advantages: 1. it's five minutes walk to the Thai Consulate near the Arc de Triomphe; 2. the guesthouse people know about Thai visa runs and don't have a check-out time (within reason) as you can't get the passport back until 1 pm earliest the next day.

There isn't a lot to do in WiengChan.  It's a small place that looks like an outpost of Thailand with French dressing.  On our first visit we did the temples and the traditional massage at a wat (torture) and followed the Lonely Planet walkabout.  This second time we had an Indian buffet lunch, went 10-pin bowling, then had a good French meal in Le Vendome - really just hanging around for the visa which appeared at 1.30 pm the next day.  We were in NongKhai at 3 ready to take the bus back to Bangkok at 7.30 pm

Does that help?

Right downtown is the Anou Hotel, 03 Heng Boun Street,       e-mail - [email protected]    Very clean, large rooms with beautiful hardwood floors.  It has a bar etc. but plenty of places away from the hotel for that good beer Lao.  Think it is about 900 bht for a double.   ::o:    Stayed there about 2 months ago      Happy trails

About   STEVEBKK what were you riding in.

when you say you arrived back in NONGKAI at 3pm and got the bus back to Bangkok arriving at 7.30 its 500 miles from Nongkai to BKK.

It takes me 10 plus hours on a good day to drive that run.

I know the Thai bus drivers are crazy and fast but yours would have to be doing over 110 mph on average.

But everything else is interesting keep up the good work.

edd from Udornthani/uk  :o