Recommendation for Fasting Blood Sugar testing meter

connda

I don't trust the accuracy of the FBS glucose meter my wife uses.  I won't list the name due to the Machiavellian defamation laws here in Thailand other than to say it was purchased from a well-known online retailer.  Which was probably my first mistake.

Lately her FBS counts have been odd.  So, we took four different tests this morning, at the same time (one after another) and the results ranged from 95 to 115 mg/dl.  I consider this highly inaccurate.  The test strips are new. 

I'm looking for recommendations for FBS glucose monitor that is accurate and for which test strips are readily available here in Thailand.  Accurate and moderately priced for both meter and test strips.
We don't need the Mercedes of glucose monitors.  But it does need to be accurate.

Try a Cofoe (China) unit.  Many on Lazada or Shopee and very, very cheap so not much lost if you do not like it.  The amount of blood required on unit I have is a fraction of other meters.

Edit:  Are you really asking for free meter?  

Recommendation for free blood sugar testing meter

Edited by lopburi3

1 hour ago, steve187 said:

accu-chek

I bought an Accu-Chek blood sugar monitor through Lazada in June for 1.130 baht.

I use it once a week after an initial 7 day test run to establish an average and it works well.

It came with a small bag of "prickers" or lancets and test strips and new ones are available through Lazada as well.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Try a Cofoe (China) unit.  Many on Lazada or Shopee and very, very cheap so not much lost if you do not like it.  The amount of blood required on unit I have is a fraction of other meters.

My Accu-Chek only requires one drop of blood on the test strip.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

No, I'm not.  My brain was obviously not engaged.  I meant "Fasting" as in FBS. 

56 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems the main issue and the test strips. Obviously, it's good when they are new. But it is also important that they were stored at the correct temperature before you bought them and maybe during the transport.

And therein lies the issue with purchasing them online.  I get the feeling that buying from a pharmacy would be a better idea.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steve187 said:

accu-chek

15 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I bought an Accu-Chek blood sugar monitor through Lazada in June for 1.130 baht.

I use it once a week after an initial 7 day test run to establish an average and it works well.

It came with a small bag of "prickers" or lancets and test strips and new ones are available through Lazada as well.

Which model?  I see Accu-chek "Active," "Instant," and "Performa."

Interestingly enough, if you go to Accu-Chek's website, none of the meters on Lazada are listed on their website.

Edited by connda
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, billd766 said:

My Accu-Chek only requires one drop of blood on the test strip.

Am aware - Cofoe is much less in my experience (have used both).  But Cofoe using is a side notch test strip so not sure if those being sold now with normal end strip sensor will be the same.  But as said price is a fraction of name brands.

• Thumbs Up 1

53 minutes ago, connda said:

Interestingly enough, if you go to Accu-Chek's website, none of the meters on Lazada are listed on their website.

performa

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Am aware - Cofoe is much less in my experience (have used both).  But Cofoe using is a side notch test strip so not sure if those being sold now with normal end strip sensor will be the same.  But as said price is a fraction of name brands.

Yeah, the brand I use now is a faction of the price and a fraction of the accuracy I do believe.  Affordable but accurate is what I'm looking for, so anything in the 1000 to 1200 THB range I consider affordable..  We don't need something in the two to three times the price range if a more affordable meter will do the same job accuracy-wise.  Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, connda said:

My apologies.

It is an Accu-Chek Active and came complete with a small carrying pouch, the lancet pen, 20 test strips I think, and 20 test strips.

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems the main issue and the test strips. Obviously, it's good when they are new. But it is also important that they were stored at the correct temperature before you bought them and maybe during the transport.

and close the box immediately.

I bought over lazada a full set from China/Thailand to save money and I cross checked with the high end device from accu… Same results by 50% less costs. This devices and stripes are working. Just search by lazada and you will see. Sinocare !

Edited by Tom H
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Thank you

I am sure that mine is a genuine Accu-Chek but IMO you can never be 100% certain nowadays.

Since ISO 15197-2013 (E) for blood glucose monitoring systems used for self-testing in managing diabetes mellitus allows for a range of ± 15 mg/dl for glucose concentrations below 100 mg/dl or within ± 15% at glucose concentrations ≥ 100 mg/dl, the range of 95 to 115 mg/dl that you've observed in your wife's FBS readings could be considered acceptable according to these standards.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4523734/#:~:text=According to ISO 15197-2013,average measured values of the

The biggest expense is, inevitably, supplies of the testing strips. They are of course available on Lazada, and no doubt Shopee, but as ever the "provenance" may be suspect. I use an accu-chek meter, and buy the strips from Boots. Pricey but probably the best bet that they have been properly stored!

I believe that you can get bottles of a solution to use to calibrate your meter - but I have never tried to do so.

In retrospect a spectacularly unhelpful post!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

The biggest expense is, inevitably, supplies of the testing strips. They are of course available on Lazada, and no doubt Shopee, but as ever the "provenance" may be suspect. I use an accu-chek meter, and buy the strips from Boots. Pricey but probably the best bet that they have been properly stored!

I believe that you can get bottles of a solution to use to calibrate your meter - but I have never tried to do so.

In retrospect a spectacularly unhelpful post!

They sell more Sinocare than accuc. in Thailand:)

I have both to cross check peaks.

Sinocare delivers same results as accuchek!

Why pay double or even triple?

Edited by Tom H

11 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

I use an accu-chek meter, and buy the strips from Boots. Pricey but probably the best bet that they have been properly stored!

Actually I suspect direct order from factory in China is a better guarantee of fresh/proper test strip storage.  Not a fan of drugstore QC.

• Like 1

I use an Accu-Chek Guide, quite happy with it. But you can never expect high accuracy with finger-prick meters, and especially if the strips are out of date. I feel that they show too low values when old, but cannot substantiate this with any facts. So better look for trends than accurate values.

Whenever I go to have tests done at a hospital or clinic I test with my own meter right before and right after drawing blood, and save the readings until I get the lab result. It can serve as a rough "calibration" of your own meter vs the more accurate lab tester. And I have generally found my meter to be within ±5-8 units (using the mg/dl scale), which I consider totally acceptable.

Just for laughs (and to annoy the nurse :smile:), I ask them to also measure my blood pressure and SAT with my devices. Generally the readings are close.