Phuket blood shortage plea: Paradise in peril seeks tourists’ rescue

webfact

image.jpeg

The tropical island paradise of Phuket, usually a favourite destination for tourists and expats alike, now urgently calls for their help. As the high tourism season kicks off, the island is faced with a critical blood shortage, particularly for the RH-Negative type, prompting an island-wide blood donation drive throughout this month.

The plea for blood donations was made public by Rescue Team Volunteers Phuket, the only rescue service on the island which includes a foreigner within its ranks. Vincent Modell, a volunteer and instructor from the UK, who himself is a regular blood donor, is behind the appeal.

The increase in international flights and tourists, he explained, also means increased numbers of patients in need of blood transfusions, resulting from the expected rise in accidents and life-threatening conditions.

by Mitch Connor

Photo: Phuket RBC

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-11-06

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1

Not content with reliving tourists of departure-tax or whatever it's currently called, they want a pint of blood too.

What next, a pound of flesh (maybe an arm)?

I was a regular donor in the UK, but nobody wants my boring O+ now coz I lived there during the mad-cow era 😞

• Thumbs Up 2

Come on AN readers - please donate. It does save lives.

As a life long donor, I continued to donate here on Samui. I was even on the 'call list' when blood was urgently needed. (I am o rh -. Universal donor.)

Unfortunately, I can no longe donate - over 70 years old.

But I ask all of you to donate. The life that you say could even be your own.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

Not content with reliving tourists of departure-tax or whatever it's currently called, they want a pint of blood too.

What next, a pound of flesh (maybe an arm)?

I was a regular donor in the UK, but nobody wants my boring O+ now coz I lived there during the mad-cow era 😞

I gave free in UK as well cos the hospital gave free. Here they want free but make you pay for it, NO WAY will I give as they do that. I'm 70.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, helloagain said:

I gave free in UK as well cos the hospital gave free. Here they want free but make you pay for it, NO WAY will I give as they do that. I'm 70.

Exactly right you give it to them for free and by the way it also goes to the private hospitals. See how much the gov hospitals charge let alone, the private, for a pint esp westerners