Rape claims against Tory MP were not covered up, says deputy PM

Social Media

image.png

Oliver Dowden, the deputy prime minister, has denied that rape allegations against a Conservative MP were “covered up” during his time running the party’s headquarters.

The former party chair said the Conservatives had a “zero tolerance” approach to sexual misconduct after claims that it had failed in its responsibilities towards alleged victims of a “serial rapist” MP.

In a round of broadcast interviews, Dowden, who stepped down from the role in June 2022, urged any individuals with concerns about the MP, who has not been named for legal reasons, to go straight to the police.

It follows reports in the Mail on Sunday that allegations of multiple sexual offences, including rape, had been made against the MP but were not dealt with properly by the party, allowing the politician to continue offending after the alarm was raised.

The former Tory chairman Jake Berry, who was in post from September to October 2022, sent a letter to the police in which he revealed that a number of allegations about an MP had been made known to the party, but only limited action had been taken.

“It is very difficult for me to comment specifically on this for two reasons. First of all, the individual isn’t named, and secondly, it may be the case that there are criminal investigations ongoing,” Dowden told the BBC’s Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg programme.

FULL STORY

Guardian.png

[“Berry wrote: “We are aware that this matter has been ongoing for over two years. We also believe there are up to five victims of X and that the failure of others to act has enabled X to continue to offend and to victimise women.”]

‘The Party of Law and Order’.

Corrupt to the core and void any moral authority.

What a truly rancid party the Tories are. 13 years of corruption carried out with disdainful contempt for the country as these parasites traduced everything they touched. 

Alas, I have no faith that the incoming labour government will assist in the cover-up. They worked with the Tories to rubbish the idea of PR because they know that they benefit from the lack of transparency and lack of democracy in the UK. It's forever doomed to be a corrupt old boys' club of either red or blue persuasion.

Just now, RuamRudy said:

What a truly rancid party the Tories are. 13 years of corruption carried out with disdainful contempt for the country as these parasites traduced everything they touched. 

Alas, I have no faith that the incoming labour government will assist in the cover-up. They worked with the Tories to rubbish the idea of PR because they know that they benefit from the lack of transparency and lack of democracy in the UK. It's forever doomed to be a corrupt old boys' club of either red or blue persuasion.

Somebody needs a group hug. 🤗🫂🤗🫂 😂😂😂

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RuamRudy said:

Absolutely nothing to do with Labour.

PMQ this week is going to be interesting, I wonder if Sunak will turn up?!

For the sake of clarity, the alleged serial rapist Tory MP in this case is not the already arrested Crispin Blunt.

It can get confusing with so many Tory MP’s accused of rape and sexual assault to choose from.

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/oct/26/conservative-mp-arrested-on-suspicion-of-rape-and-drugs-possession

25 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

For the sake of clarity, the alleged serial rapist Tory MP in this case is not the already arrested Crispin Blunt.

It can get confusing with so many Tory MP’s accused of rape and sexual assault to choose from.

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/oct/26/conservative-mp-arrested-on-suspicion-of-rape-and-drugs-possession

Please share with us the evidence of the crimes.

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, Social Media said:

who has not been named for legal reasons

Really? Have they changed the law now so that those being accused have the same right to anonymity as the accuser?  I don't recall Russell Brand being given the same legal courtesy here.  Has the chair of the Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee popped up to demand her colleague be cancelled based on mere accusations or is it better to keep him there as a puppet with this kind of leverage hanging over his head?

15 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Absolutely nothing to do with Labour.

PMQ this week is going to be interesting, I wonder if Sunak will turn up?!

Oh come off it, Labour is just as bad as the Tories you seem to demonize all the time. Do we know what Labour MP Nick Brown has done yet to be suspended for over a year now? 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, James105 said:

Really? Have they changed the law now so that those being accused have the same right to anonymity as the accuser?  I don't recall Russell Brand being given the same legal courtesy here.  Has the chair of the Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee popped up to demand her colleague be cancelled based on mere accusations or is it better to keep him there as a puppet with this kind of leverage hanging over his head?

MP’s gave themselves anonymity:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/only-one-mp-opposes-rules-prevent-automatic-naming-of-arrested-parliamentarians-john-mann-a6867476.html

6 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Well you did say 

In the context of this thread, how else could Labour be just as bad as the Tories?

Sorry not playing your game of 'twist my words' You accused my of saying :-

12 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Do you have evidence of the Labour Party covering up for a serial rapist?

Which I never said, an apology would be in order!

Edited by Wobblybob
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1