Chiang Mai Tourism Seeks Action Against Seasonal Smog

snoop1130

1 hour ago, brommers said:

Merely words. It would be more effective if everyone was given a traditional paper fan and were told to stand outside at the same time and waft it around. No doubt that petrol powered giant fan at Thapae will make it's annual appearance too.

perhaps they will unveil a solar version this year? progress

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Chiang Mai’s tourism leaders are calling for urgent government action to address the city’s hazardous smog problem as the peak season approaches. The group is advocating for the expedited passage of the Clean Air Act and the implementation of effective measures to mitigate pollution, particularly from agricultural practices.

Talk to the governor...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

Also talk to bordering countries.🙃🙃

The government can tackle cross border issues.

The CM governor needs a word in his ear from above...  sort it out or pack your bags, type of conversation.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/7/2023 at 5:44 PM, Thailand said:

Massive penalties on the owners of the land where burning takes place no second chances.

Not holding my breath (sarcasm!):wink:

Yeap, that would be my solution and would almost eliminate the problem over night.  Unfortunately, many of these landowners (sometimes corporations) are rather powerful, influential people.  Public shaming might help. 

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Yeap, that would be my solution and would almost eliminate the problem over night.  Unfortunately, many of these landowners (sometimes corporations) are rather powerful, influential people.  Public shaming might help. 

In general one way to solve problem.

But in our Ampoe (of the Mae Hong Son province) it wouldn't work. The reason: fires in  the woods which are not easly accessible in the mountaines.

I think education - already in schools -is the most effective way to solve the smoke problem.  It would take some time, of course. It worked for me in our school concerning putting the waste in waste boxes and not on the street or anywhere around, many many years ago.