Are you a retired U.S. of A. Federal Employee, have Blue Cross Blue Shield Federal Employee health plan, with prescription benefits, and are of medicare age?

radiochaser

I have  FEP, Caremark, and Medicare.  I no longer live in Thailand .  I’m back in the states.  You can’t use Medicare overseas.  And I’m guessing that also pertains to this supplement  Medicare prescription plan. 
According to what Caremark told me.  The Medicare prescription plan they are giving is really supplemental.  It’s a perk they are giving and you still would have the normal CVS Caremark Plan.  
When living in Bangkok I submitted prescriptions for any reimbursement to Caremark.  They basically treated the majority as brand names .  Which I was under the impression they were generic.  They seemed to be kind of confused on this. 
Anyway I didn’t bother claiming it anymore.  Because the money they did reimburse me was very little.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, swm59nj said:

I have  FEP, Caremark, and Medicare.  I no longer live in Thailand .  I’m back in the states.  You can’t use Medicare overseas.  And I’m guessing that also pertains to this supplement  Medicare prescription plan. 
According to what Caremark told me.  The Medicare prescription plan they are giving is really supplemental.  It’s a perk they are giving and you still would have the normal CVS Caremark Plan.  
When living in Bangkok I submitted prescriptions for any reimbursement to Caremark.  They basically treated the majority as brand names .  Which I was under the impression they were generic.  They seemed to be kind of confused on this. 
Anyway I didn’t bother claiming it anymore.  Because the money they did reimburse me was very little.  

I was getting some contradictory information, from CVS Caremark employees then.   Except for the Medicare being not being available outside the U.S. of A., something I have known for years.   

I will have to call back and ask specifically if I would no longer have the CVS Caremark service that I have now, if I am enrolled in the Medicare plan, as one medication I have  is not available for mail order under the Medicare plan.  

It may be a moot issue right now for me.   I was advised by CVS Caremark that I was not found in their system of Medicare eligible participants.   They were surprised to hear that I have had part A since 2012 and part B since 2014.   

I am thinking that the 5 x8 inch post card I received in the mail may have been mass mailed to everyone who has CVS Caremark, without regard to whether you are a Medicare recipient or not.  

At this point, I also think that the important notification related to this issue, is the letter that, I think, is mentioned on the website and mentioned in my conversations with CVS Caremark and BCBS representatives is the notification of automatic enrollment, the post card is not.

• 2 weeks later...

For the original poster: I’m in the same boat.  I’m not entirely sure I remember correctly, but when I briefly looked into the issue a few weeks ago, I determined there was no real problem.  If you’re in Thailand and need meds, can’t you just go to a doctor at a recognized hospital, obtain whatever prescription you need, and submit a claim to Blue Cross once you’ve paid for the medication?  This would be outside the mail order drug plan.  That way of submitting a claim was always available in lieu of buying the medications through the mail order plan.  Maybe it’s still the same?

Anyway, I’m sorry if I’m wrong.  I never really take any expensive meds.

14 hours ago, jas007 said:

If you’re in Thailand and need meds, can’t you just go to a doctor at a recognized hospital, obtain whatever prescription you need, and submit a claim to Blue Cross once you’ve paid for the medication?

Yes you can as a normal doctor visit as medications from doctor are regarded as an out patient visit and paid at the plan amount (standard is 85%).  Medications not approved in USA are not covered (and there are some here in that category).

Note:  as with all claims make sure to include detailed receipt (we normally call it itemized receipt) and a medical certificate for diagnosis (Thai receipt do not include that information).

Edited by lopburi3