Plastic surgery covered by 30 baht scheme?

stevenl

My daughter had an accident with boiling oil at a market 6 years ago. She's 10 years old now.

After consult with a skin doctor at Bangkok hospital Phuket I think we need plastic surgery. Her scar on her left side of her stomach is not growing as fast as she is, which could lead to issues later on, eg to her spine. 

Would plastic surgery be covered on the 30 baht health scheme at the local government hospital, Vachira?

Interesting question.  I am not sure that Vachira even has plastic surgeons.  I recently visited a doctor in the dermatology department on 3 or 4 (cant remember).  It was a complete circus and a waste of time.  Perhaps the new Vachira upmarket franchise has plastic surgeons but not sure that would be covered by the 30 baht.

The dermatology department in the main hospital does have a laser...is it something that could be treated with a laser?

Anyway please report back on how you go.  My GF as a scar also on her forearm it would be good to know if she could also have that treated under the 30 baht scheme.

10 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Interesting question.  I am not sure that Vachira even has plastic surgeons.  I recently visited a doctor in the dermatology department on 3 or 4 (cant remember).  It was a complete circus and a waste of time.  Perhaps the new Vachira upmarket franchise has plastic surgeons but not sure that would be covered by the 30 baht.

The dermatology department in the main hospital does have a laser...is it something that could be treated with a laser?

Anyway please report back on how you go.  My GF as a scar also on her forearm it would be good to know if she could also have that treated under the 30 baht scheme.

As rattlesnake indicates, a possible difference could be that the surgery for my daughter would be for medical reasons.

They do have plastic surgery.

Edited by stevenl

4 minutes ago, stevenl said:

As rattlesnake indicates, a possible difference could be that the surgery for my daughter would be for medical reasons.

Yes I don't think that will be a sticking point.  Easy to argue it is medical and not cosmetic.  However, as I wrote above, I am not sure there are any resident plastic surgeons at Vachira.

I must say your OP caught my eye.  For many years now I have seen those huge woks full of boiling oil at various markets, teetering on the (not nearly wide enough) gas burner stands.  I often thought how dangerous they were for kids...and for adults for that matter.

I am very sorry for what happened to you daughter. I wish her all the very best. It must of been horrific for you at the time.  Were you there when it happened.

Edited by Adumbration
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Adumbration said:

Yes I don't think that will be a sticking point.  Easy to argue it is medical and not cosmetic.  However, as I wrote above, I am not sure there are any resident plastic surgeons at Vachira.

There are according to their website.

5 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

I must say your OP caught my eye.  For many years now I have seen those huge woks full of boiling oil at various markets, teetering on the (not nearly wide enough) gas burner stands.  I often thought how dangerous they were for kids...and for adults for that matter.

I am very sorry for what happened to you daughter. I wish her all the very best. It must of been horrific for you at the time.  Were you there when it happened.

Same here, those things should be banned.

25 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

My wife was at the market already when she decided to go there with her older brother and the dog ( the market is 400 meters from our home). She was holding on to the dog, the dog hit a wobbly table with oil. My wife heard the shouting and cries, callyne and we went to the hospital. She stayed for I think 4 nights. It's itchy and sometimes bothering her, now we need to do something.

We'll call Vachira tomorrow.

According to the skin doctor at Bangkok hospital Phuket first surgery will most likely be needed, later followed by other treatment like maybe laser.

Edited by stevenl
Addition