Aggressive Taxi Drivers that hang around outside hotels.

bob smith

As a tourist I see the ones outside the hotels are often super nice to you until they're not. Super nice if they think they can charge you triple the going rate to the airport, or take you on a tour that includes a visit to their friends at a gemstone factory - wholesale price sir - or similar, and then not if they realise you aren't going there.  

3 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

As a tourist I see the ones outside the hotels are often super nice to you until they're not. Super nice if they think they can charge you triple the going rate to the airport, or take you on a tour that includes a visit to their friends at a gemstone factory - wholesale price sir - or similar, and then not if they realise you aren't going there.  

Agreed, but you may also want to point out that "triple the going rate" is still a tiny fraction of a taxi fare back home.  I used the guys in front of my hotel when I first arrived, and they were always helpful, friendly and more than worth the few extra peanuts they cost me. Once I got the lay of the land, I quit using them for the most part.

Overall, I'm not a huge fan of the system they operate in, where they pay someone for their spot in front of that hotel, so they have to recoup that from passenger.  But they're not all bad with no redeeming attributes.  And though they've never spat on me, I can see where that may happen.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

This may be the pub but that doesn't prevent me from finding this thread highly objectionable. Thai taxi drivers don't spit at foreigners and wave placards in their faces and berate them in restaurants, period.

There's a fine line between what is humorous and satire and what is offensive, you are on the wrong side of that line at present.

you clearly haven't been to a tourist hotspot recently.

• Sad 5