Question about NT-ToT/Cat fiber modem.

FlorC

Apparently the fiber cable comes to your house and you can use your own or their modem.
I do not know if there are modems with a fiber cable input , and they are opaque about the rent for using their modem. What's the deal ?

Another question : Can I switch off the wifi by going in their modem like with adsl modems in the past ? Like 198.198...... admin password , switch wifi on/off, so to only use the LAN. Those modems do have LAN in/out ?

NT-Tot/cat has a promotion , but still have to pay connection 5770 + 1000 +vat.

Thanks

I just use their router they supply for free and put in my own router after that and just call them and ask to put their Router in "Bit Mode". If so you will need the userid and the password to setup the connection in the PPoE section of your own supplied router.

To answer your question

1 hour ago, FlorC said:

Another question : Can I switch off the wifi by going in their modem like with adsl modems in the past ? Like 198.198...... admin password , switch wifi on/off, so to only use the LAN. Those modems do have LAN in/out

All the Routers I have gotten from both NT/TOT or 3BB I was always given a Admin/Password to change the settings in their router and disabled the Wifi and thus use the WiFi on my own router

NT-ToT supplied a fibre modem and a separate router.  I don't use the router - prefer to use my own ASUS router.  As MJCM said, if you go this route you need to set up userid and password on the router.  They will provide this when doing the installation but you may need to ask.

2 hours ago, FlorC said:

NT-Tot/cat has a promotion , but still have to pay connection 5770 + 1000 +vat.

You don't say where you are or what speed that is for so no ideas on value.

Both AIS and 3BB/True here in Pattaya have bring your own device offers which you can see on their web sites - in English.

AIS  - https://www.ais.th/en/consumers/fibre/package/byod

Thanks guys !

So it is totally possible to switch off wifi . 

I don't know much about routers. Can the LAN cable go directly from their modem to my computer , without a router ?

The 5770 + 1000 +vat. is for all packages:

ดูแพ็คเกจ (nteservice.com)  , click on any + in the offers.

To lay the fiber cable from their nearest station , first 300 meter is free.

On this router , userid & passw are on the bottom :

Huawei Echolife Eg8120l Gpon Onu ไม่1ge1fe1tel เราเตอร์โมเด็มใยแก้วนำแสง Sc Upc เฟิร์มแวร์ภาษาอังกฤษ | Lazada.co.th

27 minutes ago, topt said:

Is that Tinglish :biggrin: I presume you mean bridge mode?

Yes it is. every time I asked for Bridge mode, they did not have a clue, but using “bit mode” they knew (but it also depended on the person you were talking to, as with some of them either Bit or Bridge didn’t ring a bell :thumbsup:

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, FlorC said:

I don't know much about routers. Can the LAN cable go directly from their modem to my computer , without a router ?

In theory that should be possible - but you would be limited to that one connection and no others........no phone or other person connecting the same time as you. Search online to see comments about this.

That is why normally the ISP supplies a modem/router combo which will also likely have options to have a separate guest network/firewall controls etc. for multiple attachments.

7 hours ago, FlorC said:

Apparently the fiber cable comes to your house and you can use your own or their modem.
I do not know if there are modems with a fiber cable input , and they are opaque about the rent for using their modem. What's the deal ?

TOT installations vary between areas. Ask your local office if they can supply an ONT only which makes using your own equipment easier.

Example - TOT ONT in our office.

01747.jpg.73e7c19ea8b2dcc26623087e148448f9.jpg

01804.thumb.jpg.e33ddcccb7e6ba3ef5f92971a679d2ba.jpg

Yes an ONT or without router may be too limited.

Next year I go to europe for about 1 month , and I would like a camera connected to the internet that send a pic every 5 minutes or so , so that I can keep an eye on my cats , or better said : keep an eye on who's looking after my cats.

I don't know how to do that , but I read about people that have surveillance of their house . No 24/7 video , just a simple status pic .

9 minutes ago, Fruit Trader said:

Not limited. You connect your own choice of router to the ONT and use WAN login detail provided by TOT.

It is if you don't want to use a router at all - which is what he asked earlier and I replied hence his comment.........

21 hours ago, FlorC said:

1 hour ago, topt said:

It is if you don't want to use a router at all - which is what he asked earlier and I replied hence his comment.........

As I am the only one to use ONT in the thread I guess the OP's reply was aimed at my picture post. I made a follow up post to be sure the OP understands a stand alone ONT does not limit his options. It's best to leave  modems out of the picture when talking about fibre services to the home.

15 hours ago, Fruit Trader said:

As I am the only one to use ONT in the thread I guess the OP's reply was aimed at my picture post. I made a follow up post to be sure the OP understands a stand alone ONT does not limit his options. It's best to leave  modems out of the picture when talking about fibre services to the home.

Your pics are a little confusing .

I guess the yellow is the fiber cable .

First is the ONT , or the second one ? Or both ?

4 hours ago, FlorC said:

Your pics are a little confusing .

I guess the yellow is the fiber cable .

First is the ONT , or the second one ? Or both ?

First is a termination box labelled TOT which connects the cable from the street (black) to a fibre connection socket. The yellow cable plugs into this socket and on to the ONT. 

They will give you a WiFi6 switch/router but check to see if it has the really advantage of a WiFi6 router which is the security. The big advantage is that the Security offers WPA3 which is safer than WPA2. They don't like putting it to WPA3 but it is the main advancement of WiFi6.