Majority of U.S. Nursing Home Workers Behind on Flu, Covid Vaccinations

TallGuyJohninBKK

November 10, 2023

With the country well into flu season, the majority of nursing home workers remain unvaccinated for the flu as well as Covid-19.

That’s only 22.9% of health care workers that received Covid shots this year, and 47.1% for flu shots based on data collected on more than 2 million staff members across nearly 14,000 nursing homes.

Health care workers in hospitals had better flu vaccination rates than those in nursing homes at 81%, the report found, but up-to-date Covid was lower at 17.2%.

(more)

https://skillednursingnews.com/2023/11/majority-of-nursing-home-workers-behind-on-flu-covid-vaccinations/

Influenza and Up-to-Date COVID-19 Vaccination Coverage Among Health Care Personnel — National Healthcare Safety Network, United States, 2022–23 Influenza Season

"CDC and the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices recommend that health care personnel (HCP) receive an annual influenza vaccine and stay up to date with recommended COVID-19 vaccination.

During January–June 2023, NHSN defined up-to-date COVID-19 vaccination as receipt of a bivalent COVID-19 mRNA vaccine dose or completion of a primary series within the preceding 2 months."

Vaccination of health care personnel (HCP) is a critical strategy to minimize transmission of infection in health care settings (1,2). HCP are at high risk for work-related exposure to viruses such as influenza and SARS-CoV-2 but are less likely to transmit these infections when they are vaccinated."

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/72/wr/mm7245a5.htm

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Maybe because they neither are highly effective at stopping the contraction or transmission of the flu and Covid.

These viral vaccinations are not "sterilizing vaccines" like smallpox, measles, and polio.  I've posted the CDC's reports in other threads on the efficacy of flu vaccines between 2010 and present and the average effacacy is under 50% and can easily be found on the CDC's website under "historical efficacy of flu vaccines."  Anecdotally every family member in my nuclear and extended family who took the Covid "vaccines" had a break-through case of Covid. More concerning, my own step-son had heart issues after taking an AZ Covid shot.  As employers and government agencies are getting sued in court for mandating the shot - and losing - healthcare workers are declining the shots based on "Informed Consent"  Regardless of whether the CDC and NIH say that shots are "safe and effective," healthcare workers are opting for Informed Consent and making up their own minds as to whether to take the shots or not. 
As it should be.

It the mRNA and viral vector shots had long-term testing and were proven to stop transmission (sterilizing vaccine) then I too would be on board for their use. 

COVID vaccines repeatedly have been shown to reduce the risks of being infected by COVID and spreading it to others, especially in the months immediately post vaccination.

And equally or more importantly, also have been shown to substantially reduce the risks of serious illness, hospitalization and death from COVID among those who have been fully vaccinated (primary series plus a booster).

Just because something doesn't provide 100% protection, doesn't erase the value of getting 20, 30, 50, 70 etc percent protection (reduced likelihood) of various bad outcomes.

Bottom line overall -- you're somewhat less likely to catch COVID, and a whole lot less likely to get seriously ill or die from it.

COVID vaccine-boosted nursing home residents at 23% to 33% lower risk of infection

"A study today in Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report finds that US nursing home residents who weren't up to date on recommended COVID-19 vaccines were at a 30% to 50% higher risk for infection than those who were current—or a 23% to 33% lower risk for vaccinated residents."

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/covid-vaccine-boosted-nursing-home-residents-23-33-lower-risk-infection

AND, regarding protection against severe outcomes (hospitalization or death):

Effectiveness of mRNA COVID-19 vaccine booster doses against Omicron severe outcomes

07 March 2023

"Among community-dwelling adults aged ≥50 years in Ontario, VE against Omicron-associated severe outcomes increased with booster doses of monovalent mRNA COVID-19 vaccines, but protection waned over time after each dose. Third doses continued to provide strong protection (85–87%) against severe outcomes among subjects aged 50–69 years even 8 months after vaccination, but lower protection (76–79%) among those aged ≥70 years. Fourth doses restored waning of protection from third doses and continued to provide strong protection (86–89%) 4 months after vaccination for all age groups.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-023-36566-1

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

And more from Israel:

Bivalent mRNA booster effective, ‘essential’ for older adults

April 19, 2023

Key takeaways:

• Bivalent mRNA booster vaccine efficacy for preventing hospitalization was 72%.
  • Bivalent mRNA booster vaccine efficacy for preventing mortality was 68%.

"Bivalent messenger RNA booster vaccinations were effective for preventing COVID-19 hospitalizations and deaths in older adults, according to data presented at the European Congress of Clinical Microbiology & Infectious Diseases.

To assess the effectiveness of a bivalent mRNA vaccine booster dose to reduce COVID-19 hospitalizations and deaths, Arbel and colleagues conducted a retrospective, population-based, cohort study in Israel between Sept. 27, 2022, and Jan. 25, 2023."

(more)

Screenshot_1.jpg.feb96879f3c743f543a7ee9f103b8c85.jpg

https://www.healio.com/news/infectious-disease/20230419/bivalent-mrna-booster-effective-essential-for-older-adults

On 11/14/2023 at 10:07 AM, connda said:

These viral vaccinations are not "sterilizing vaccines" like smallpox, measles, and polio.  I've posted the CDC's reports in other threads on the efficacy of flu vaccines between 2010 and present and the average effacacy is under 50% and can easily be found on the CDC's website under "historical efficacy of flu vaccines."  Anecdotally every family member in my nuclear and extended family who took the Covid "vaccines" had a break-through case of Covid. More concerning, my own step-son had heart issues after taking an AZ Covid shot.  As employers and government agencies are getting sued in court for mandating the shot - and losing - healthcare workers are declining the shots based on "Informed Consent"  Regardless of whether the CDC and NIH say that shots are "safe and effective," healthcare workers are opting for Informed Consent and making up their own minds as to whether to take the shots or not. 
As it should be.

It the mRNA and viral vector shots had long-term testing and were proven to stop transmission (sterilizing vaccine) then I too would be on board for their use. 

"If mRNA and viral vector shots were "sterilizing", wrongly focuses on vaccine types. if I were mRNA I would sue!

Sterilizing depends far more on the virus, not the vaccine. And, if you could sterilize coronavirus, mRNA would be best, it was the only one to achieve 95% efficacy against the original strain. It works well.

Unfortunately, SARS-2 had oddly unusual ineffective properties in humans, and rapidly evolved to infect humans with more virulent, and more ineffective immune evasive strains.  One for the record books, so it was an uphill battle for any vaccine type. 

I do agree it was all rushed.  But most real side effects were because of SARS-2 structure, not mRNA. Whatever vaccines did on a small scale, SARS-2-Cov did in spades including in liver, heart, blood, blood vessels, brain, gastrointestinal (even toes), etc. It is nasty.

But we do need a lot more study on SARS-2 and its vaccines. I agree there.