6M multiple entry tourist visa

I've read online that there is a 6 month multiple entry tourist visa (from the UK) whereby you can enter Thailand for a maximum of 60 days per entry.  I'm wondering if that's the case.  It seems like a fairly convenient way to stay in Thailand for 6 months (by simply taking a weekend trip outside Thailand near the expire of each 60 day period - ie. two exit trips).  Am I understanding this correctly?  My aim is to stay around 4 months.

• Confused 1

Just checked with a friend of mine and he applied online and received the 6 month METV from London embassy last week. He also said the documentation required this time was much less than provided for the application earlier this year. He provided flight ticket, hotel booking for first few days in Thailand and document evidencing address in UK. No requirement to provide a bank statement. Not sure how accurate this is but can only go with what he is telling me. This type of visa suits him as he works offshore. 3 weeks work, 3 weeks Thailand and so on. 

If you know that your trip will NOT exceed 4 months I suppose you could obtain a single entry tourist visa (SETV) which would allow 60 days. You could then extend this by 30 days at a local immigration office. You could then do one border hop to obtain a 30 day visa exempt entry. 

If you are going to stay over 4 months but less than 5 months you could do as above but after the 30 day extension from immigration, go to a neighbouring country and obtain another SETV (which could also be extended by 30 days).

I think the above stacks up but maybe one of the other members may point out any deficiencies in this plan.

11 hours ago, Keeps said:

Just checked with a friend of mine and he applied online and received the 6 month METV from London embassy last week. He also said the documentation required this time was much less than provided for the application earlier this year. He provided flight ticket, hotel booking for first few days in Thailand and document evidencing address in UK. No requirement to provide a bank statement. Not sure how accurate this is but can only go with what he is telling me. This type of visa suits him as he works offshore. 3 weeks work, 3 weeks Thailand and so on. 

The METV process has been simplified recently as your friend outlined. Do you know how many days it took to issue the visa? I'm planning to apply 2024 in London.

7 hours ago, Sumiyoshicho said:

The METV process has been simplified recently as your friend outlined. Do you know how many days it took to issue the visa? I'm planning to apply 2024 in London.

4 working days from applying to receiving the e-visa. This involved no queries from the original application.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/3/2023 at 2:31 PM, Keeps said:

If you are going to stay over 4 months but less than 5 months you could do as above but after the 30 day extension from immigration, go to a neighbouring country and obtain another SETV (which could also be extended by 30 days).

I think the above stacks up but maybe one of the other members may point out any deficiencies in this plan.

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, the idea is a (roughly) 60 day stay followed by another 60 days so slightly over 4 months.   Isn't that what an METV will permit as long as its withing the 6 month validity ?  Do you happen to know if the 6 month validity is from the date of issue or from the date of entering Thailand ?    I'd really like to avoid applying for extensions if I can.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, jaxon said:

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, the idea is a (roughly) 60 day stay followed by another 60 days so slightly over 4 months.   Isn't that what an METV will permit as long as its withing the 6 month validity ?  Do you happen to know if the 6 month validity is from the date of issue or from the date of entering Thailand ?    I'd really like to avoid applying for extensions if I can.

It's valid 6 months from the date of issue. In that period you can enter as many times as you like and stay 60 days from each entry.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, jaxon said:

Note that the period of visa validity is different from the period of stay.  

Visa validity is the period during which a visa can be used to enter Thailand. 
On the other hand, the period of stay is granted by an immigration officer upon arrival at the port of entry and in accordance with the type of visa.

It's possible to stay in Thailand for almost 9 months with a METV.
The METV is valid to enter Thailand for 6 months from the date of issue.
You can enter Thailand on the very last day of the visa's validity (enter before date) and still be granted a stay of 60 days.

Each 60 day entry can be extended for a further 30 days.

Edited by Liquorice
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Note that the period of visa validity is different from the period of stay.  

Visa validity is the period during which a visa can be used to enter Thailand. 
On the other hand, the period of stay is granted by an immigration officer upon arrival at the port of entry and in accordance with the type of visa.

It's possible to stay in Thailand for almost 9 months with a METV.
The METV is valid to enter Thailand for 6 months from the date of issue.
You can enter Thailand on the very last day of the visa's validity (enter before date) and still be granted a stay of 60 days.

Each 60 day entry can be extended for a further 30 days.

Thanks.  I don't see how you could stay 9 months?  Using the 60-day stay 3 times (assuming you arrive shortly after issue) makes 6 months, and then a 30 day extension on the final 60 makes it 7 months? 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, jaxon said:

Thanks.  I don't see how you could stay 9 months?  Using the 60-day stay 3 times (assuming you arrive shortly after issue) makes 6 months, and then a 30 day extension on the final 60 makes it 7 months? 

It's a multi entry visa.

Each entry provides a 60 day permission of stay which can be extended by 30 days.

By exit and reenter just prior to expiry of visa you would be stamped in for another 60 days which can be extended by 30 days.

Adds up to almost 9 months

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jaxon said:

You missed the point of the validity of the visa and the period of stay are different.

If you exit and re-enter Thailand on the last day of the visas validity (6 months) you'd be granted another period of stay for 60 days (= 8 months).

You can apply to extend each 60 day entry by a further 30 days.

Edited by Liquorice
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

You missed the point of the validity of the visa and the period of stay are different.

If you exit and re-enter Thailand on the last day of the visas validity (6 months) you'd be granted another period of stay for 60 days (= 8 months).

You can apply to extend each 60 day entry by a further 30 days.

So is the idea:

60 day entry +30 extension

= 6 months

A few days prior to end of validity, exit & re-enter with

60 days + 30 extension ?

Are the extensions applied for at entry or towards the end of the 60 day period? 

7 minutes ago, jaxon said:

So is the idea:

= 6 months

A few days prior to end of validity, exit & re-enter with

60 days + 30 extension ?

Are the extensions applied for at entry or towards the end of the 60 day period? 

30 day extensions of stay are applied for at local Immigration offices situated in every Province throughout Thailand.
The cost of an extension application is 1,900 BHT.

If you don't want to visit an Immigration office, you could just use the METV, but would have to exit and re-enter every 60 days.
Apart from the initial 60-day entry, you could make 3 further border crossing, the last being just prior to the METV expiring (enter before date) to attain a total stay of almost 240 days, and you could further extend that last entry for a further 30 days totalling a stay of almost 270 days, OR

You could extend each entry by 30 days, so apart from the initial entry of 60 days, and a further 2 border crossing extending each 60 day entry by a further 30 days totals almost 270 days.

The only difference is comparing the cost of a further 3rd border run against the cost of 3 x 30 day extensions.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks again, Licorice.  

Just reading the Thai Embassy London website and it seems that for an METV you need to show:

- a letter from your employer/business registration

- £5000 bank balance for six months

Is that normal just for a tourist visa ?? 

5 minutes ago, jaxon said:

Thanks again, Licorice.  

Just reading the Thai Embassy London website and it seems that for an METV you need to show:

- a letter from your employer/business registration

- £5000 bank balance for six months

Only for the METV, but at their discretion if retired ignore the first requirement.

7 minutes ago, jaxon said:

If your aim is to only stay for around 4 months, I'd get the single entry TV, then extend the 60 day entry by a further 30 days at Immigration.

A single border run will allow you to then enter visa exempt for a further 30 days, which can then also be extended for a further 30 days.
Almost 5 months.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Liquorice said:

If your aim is to only stay for around 4 months, I'd get the single entry TV, then extend the 60 day entry by a further 30 days at Immigration.

A single border run will allow you to then enter visa exempt for a further 30 days, which can then also be extended for a further 30 days.
Almost 5 months.

Yes, that's starting to sound like the way to go, because the aim is about 4 months.  Thanks for your many answers. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Nedrapter said:

I'm hearing from some youtubers that the Multi Entry Visa requires also proof of exit flight from Thailand. Is this true? If yes, how do you guys handle that? 

Yes, you require  flight out of Thailand and back again to show your need for a METV. Many just buy a cheap return ticket to Cambodia/KL etc. 

5 hours ago, Nedrapter said:

I'm hearing from some youtubers that the Multi Entry Visa requires also proof of exit flight from Thailand. Is this true? If yes, how do you guys handle that? 

Depends on the requirements of the Thai Embassy you're applying at.

Thai Embassy DC requests an outbound flight ticket;  https://washingtondc.thaiembassy.org/en/page/trsingle-entry

Required documents to upload in the system (Large and clear JPEG or PDF format): 

1. Passport Biodata Page or Travel Document (Must be valid within 6 months from travel date)
  2. Photograph of the applicant, taken within the past six months
  3. Document indicating current location (driving license, bank statement, or proof of stay)
  4. Flight itinerary to Thailand and depart from Thailand. The itinerary must include the applicant's name, travel dates, airports, and flight number
  5. Proof of accommodation in Thailand, e.g. Accommodation bookings, invitation letters from family/friends in Thailand.

The Thai Embassy in London only requests flight ticket to Thailand. 

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/84256-tourist-visa?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5d6636ce15e39c3bd000733c

For Multiple Entries 
Multiple entries tourist visa, please click here

• A current passport with validity of over 6 months beyond the date of application
  • A completed application form
  • Two (2) recent photos of the applicant
  • Original bank statement of the applicant showing a balance of at least £5000 (for 6 months) or a print out with official stamp of the bank
  • A letter from the applicant's employer
    If you are self-employed, you self-assessment and a company registration document are required.
  • A photocopy of the confirmed air ticket to Thailand
  • A photocopy of the hotel reservation confirmation in Thailand

Even then, there is no restriction on what date the return/outbound ticket should be dated.
If you're applying for the METV then presumably you're looking at staying 6–9 months, then in most cases returning home, so what's the issue with providing an outbound ticket for the end of your stay.