Prachuap Khiri Khan town – bicycle dealer, cycling throung army land, live music

henrik2000

Hello, some small questions about Prachuap Khiri Khan town only (not Hua Hin, Cha-am or elsewhere in the province):

Bicycle dealer + workshop

For the bicycle, I'd love new, soft, comfy handlebare grips. Even more I'd love a complete new handlebar that is better adapted to humane anatomy. Would you recommnd from your own experience a dealer/workshop who has interesting stuff available and who would install it at short notice?

If the dealer needs to order it, I can wait 1-2 days. But he should install it right when I come, not keep the bicycle in his workshop for days on end, because i want to use the bicyle myself. I do speak basic Thai, but not bicycle-Thai. If you give me a dealer's name I can find on Google Maps and a reason why you recommend the place, that'd be nice.

Crossing army land to the south – passport required?

At the southern end of Prachuap town beach, you can cycle through army land ("Wing 5") to get to another beach further south, past the Monkey Monument. Do I need to bring the real passport there? Or a photocopy? Your recent experience?

Live music

I like Thai live music like lukthung, morlam, pleua-chiwit (Carabao), enjoyed together with Thai food. But I do NOT like rock, 90s, acoustic, folk, trashmetal, dinner music. For instance i like music pubs like the Tawan Daengs across the country.

According to my research, LYNX and TIMBER HUT could fit the bill. But it is almost impossible from reviews to find out the music styles on offer. What would you say style-wise?

Thanks!

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

The station is manned now, not at the same counter w/ledger sitting there.  Because of the people that obviously didn't follow the rules, they now enforce them strictly.

Ok. Before you could write Bart Simpson.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bignok said:

When did this happen?

Been like that for a while, Gmap photo deated July 2023.

G Earth shows tent set up 2021, but that doesn't seem right, possibly.

I get waved through, so don't care, but a hassle for tourist, especially if swimming, and now need to bring & secure ID somewhere if not self driving.

image.png.f38c616331159853e15648c97b5df499.png

Edited by KhunLA

Hi all, thanks for your intel from the ground. Sorry, I may be dumb, but I am still not perfectly clear from your info whether I should carry the real passport on that bicycle trip across the army land or whether a photocopy would suffice (must an entry stamp also be photocopied?). I'm a plain tourist who could show a passport and a hotel key card.

I very much dislike carrying the real passport around on a bicycle trip, even if I don't go into the water. That's why I keep asking and don't just carry the passport along to be safe anyway. The photocopy is with me anytime.

I was just on army land in Phetchaburi town, where you visit that royal summer house that is now on army grounds. There was no passport and no signing in required, I just got a tag (and a reminder that I could donate for the upkeep), but then there is no airport either.

Edited by henrik2000

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Wakor just past Klong Wan  i drive a motorcycle through army base daily (certainly each evening as i drink in PKK town most nights) you do not need to sign in

However Possibly a pain for tourist's if rule is applied regularly

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, poohy said:

I live in Wakor just past Klong Wan  i drive a motorcycle through army base daily (certainly each evening as i drink in PKK town most nights) you do not need to sign in

However Possibly a pain for tourist's if rule is applied regularly

If the guard doesn't recognize us and wave us through, then I just say 'pai khlong won krup' and away we go.   Not sure a tourist can get away with that.  Was actually there today for lite munch & choco/sugar drink fix ... damn tasty.

Saw a few Q'd up, signing in as we drove past.   I don't think they question you much coming from the Khlong Won side, as I think they assume you're live local and don't really bother.  Most tourist would be coming from the PKK side.

• Like 1

Hi all, thanks for more input.

Now I bicycled through a few times and was either ignored or saluted, but never asked for any documentation. So next time I would love to leave the passport in the house, but then I'd worry they ask me for it.

One time I wanted to bicycle from town to Ao Manao just after 6:00 p.m. and I wasn't even let in (for some reason I believed there was a firework commemorating local war events, but was perhaps totally wrong).

• 2 months later...

On the other hand you have many popular farang managed pool-villa developpments in the Black Mountain area, with big show of security guards at the barrier. Most of the time they just wave people in and never check. Maybe just a means to justify the over charged  monthly common fee all the house owners have to shell out.

On 12/19/2023 at 1:00 PM, henrik2000 said:

Hi all, thanks for more input.

Now I bicycled through a few times and was either ignored or saluted, but never asked for any documentation. So next time I would love to leave the passport in the house, but then I'd worry they ask me for it.

One time I wanted to bicycle from town to Ao Manao just after 6:00 p.m. and I wasn't even let in (for some reason I believed there was a firework commemorating local war events, but was perhaps totally wrong).

This today, as we approach RTAF Wing 5, and you'll notice scooter at gate with tourist in front of us.  Directed to sign in.  As always, I just get waved through.   So I'd make sure I have my Passport with me, if planning on visiting.  Not sure if they accept Pink ID or DL.