Lopburi, a Thai city in crisis as local monkeys force the local population to cage themselves in

webfact

image.jpeg

Some photos from a field trip this week by national Thai TV included interviews with local business owners, including Uncle Atthaphon Phaengphan, a motorcycle taxi driver (centre) who told them that a local shopping centre had to close because the monkeys had taken over its precincts.

Lopburi, a once-prosperous Thai city, now battles a primate onslaught, with locals caging themselves against aggressive monkeys. Once-thriving areas are ghost towns as financial donations and political support fuel the monkeys’ reign.

A once prosperous Thai municipality not far from Thailand’s capital Bangkok is living through a crisis as the city, the provincial capital of Lopburi province by the same name finds itself overtaken by a growing population of monkeys.

Locals are increasingly living in fear and within steel cage-like fabrications to protect their quality of life and business concerns as once thriving areas of the city are morphing into ghost towns as the monkeys become more aggressive and domineering while being supported with financial donations and political protection from people outside Lopburi.

Lopburi, a tranquil city nestled 150 kilometres northeast of Bangkok, has become the unlikely battleground for a fierce conflict between its human residents and a surging population of highly intelligent monkeys.

by James Morris and Son Nguyen

Full story: Thai Examiner.com 2023-12-07

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

the monkeys become more aggressive and domineering while being supported with financial donations and political protection from people outside Lopburi.

So who is taking the donations and not doing their job?

They are a nuisance. Similar in southern city of Songkhla and also in Krabi around that high temple. Aggressive little b’stards, with people getting bitten and more bike accidents etc. The people have brought it on themselves by continually feeding them (making merit) + extra protections from the gov, including soi dogs. They think they are doing good but all it does is bring suffering for the wild animals and angst for humans. The huge packs of monkeys and mange stray dogs is the worst I’ve seen it here in over 25 years and smacks of third world. This scenario was inevitable and will not end well.

• Thanks 1

I have said this before on a similar topic.

When I first visited Lopburi some 15 years ago, and noticed all the bars on every shopnouse level I thought, Burglarly must be rife here!.

After a year or so, I realised, Monkeys are rife here!

What does that say about Bangkok?