Taxi app drivers rally in Phuket after Grab driver beaten

snoop1130

Screenshot-7-768x538.jpg

The battle continues to rage between the app-based drivers and the legacy taxi drivers in an elaborate and high-stakes ‘turf war’ on Phuket’s roads.

Now, over 200 drivers from ride-hailing apps (like Grab and Bolt) have rallied in Phuket and submitted a formal letter of complaint to provincial governor, Sophon Suwannarat. The letter was received on Sophon’s behalf by Vice Governor, Amnuay Pinsuwan, according to a Phuket News report.

The drivers gathered at Phuket Provincial Hall yesterday morning, December 6, in response to last weekend’s violent assault on a Grab driver near Bangtao Beach, which left him hospitalised with rib injuries and a punctured lung.

By Peter Roche

Caption: PHOTO: MGR Online

Full story: Phuket GO 2023-12-07

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

and submitted a formal letter of complaint to provincial governor, Sophon Suwannarat. The letter was received on Sophon’s behalf by Vice Governor, Amnuay Pinsuwan

So the governor was too busy?

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Why does it seem its 'always' Phuket that has problems with taxi drivers?:whistling:

have you ever been ? the taxi scams etc in phuket are just as old as the shi**y faded blue 10 year old shirts they wear. 

Edited by stoner

I have been in the Philippines now a couple of years, Taxi apps are way more popular than the derelict, beaten up, overpriced taxi's.  Yet there are no issues from the taxi drivers here, it doesn't appear to have the "mafia" mentality that Thailand Taxi drivers have. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NONG CHOK said:

As I walked through the car park of Lotus Pattaya Nua the other day a taxi driver tried to force me to use his taxi. Just out of curiosity I asked him how much and he replied 500 baht for a distance I regularly walk in 15 minutes. Of course I copped the mandatory snarl when I refused. As for the Pattaya and Phuket taxi operators if they travelled in an app based taxi they may learn what service and servility with a smile is all about. If farangs are residents in tourists areas they are all presumed tourists and are ripped off accordingly.

That's because Thais are ignorant about the concept of an "expat". Their racism is so strong, they don't believe a foreigner can reside in their country. I bet you few Thais are aware of the 5 million migrant workers from neighboring countries working here. Because they look Thai, to a Thai, they are Thai.

As for taxis trying to force me to use their services - barely happens anymore in Thailand. Unlike in Cambodia, where every minute there's a "want tuk tuk?" being shouted in every direction.

Its now reported that the 2 drivers who came forward to confess to the beating are not the right guys and that they and 2 others have been arrested and charged. Who does this benefit, and so why did the wrong guys confess if they are clearly facing jail time?

Cherng Talay Police have confirmed the arrests of two taxi drivers wanted for the assault on a Grab driver in Bang Tao on Dec 2.

Edited by stuarty