Thailand’s 2 billion baht electricity subsidy for 17.7 million households

webfact

image.jpeg

The Thai Cabinet has allocated 2 billion baht to subsidise electricity costs for 17.7 million vulnerable households.

The scheme, set to be a new year’s gift, will apply to those using no more than 300 units of electricity per month, maintaining a cost of 3.99 baht per unit. Deputy Prime Minister and Energy Minister Peeraphan Salirathaviphak, stated today, December 8, that the Ministry of Energy is preparing to propose this support measure for Cabinet approval this month.

The Energy Ministry intends to maintain the rate collected from vulnerable groups, who use no more than 300 units of electricity per month, at 3.99 baht per unit from January to April next year. This measure will cover approximately 75% of the population or roughly 17.7 million households.

The funds for this subsidy will come from a central budget of 2 billion baht, aimed at alleviating the hardship caused by increasing electricity costs for those affected. For electricity users exceeding 300 units per month, the Ministry of Energy is considering various support measures under three factors that will affect the change in electricity pricing. These proposals will be put forward for consideration at the National Energy Policy Committee (NEPC) meeting on December 13.

by Nattapong Westwood

Photo courtesy of KhaoSod

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-12-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, that's one way to control inflation.

January to April, I assume that means through 31 March?

from the linked article...

The funds for this subsidy will come from a central budget of 2 billion baht, aimed at alleviating the hardship caused by increasing electricity costs for those affected. 

This government seems keen on subsidies, price controls, and give-aways.

9 hours ago, khunjeff said:

There's nothing wrong with providing subsidies, but I wish they would stop referring to them as "gifts". They're ultimately paid for by taxpayers, not magically gifted by the politicians currently in office.

Yea for sure, it's not their money isn't it. They wont give their money away those greedy sods.

• Thumbs Up 1

To clarify, the government does not subsidize anything as the government has no money to start with. It has to live with less income which will affect the profitability and the bonus panel of the selected few big wigs at the top. 

Having said so; if I would have been given a discount or a compensation for all those brown-outs and black-outs I constantly experience by the PEA, then I would not only have electricity free of charge but made a lot of compensation payment savings. 

So get your act together, PEA, and stop whining 

On 12/9/2023 at 1:39 PM, MrJ2U said:
On 12/9/2023 at 9:20 AM, webfact said:

300 units

A few lights, fan, tv.

A little better than cave dwelling.

Not sure about that.

I have a swimming pool of which the 1.5Hp pump runs 8 hours a day.

An irrigation system that of which the 2hp pump runs 1 hour every day.

A 1Hp well pump to fill the tanks since i don't have city water.

I have fans and aircons, 1 aircon 1200 BTU runs 9 hours a day, fans run the other 15 hours.

PC is on 15 hours a day.

Of course I have other appliances using electric throughout the day, like a security system with 8 cameras running 24/7 etc.

My average usage is 750 units per month, so i think with 300 units the average household does get a whole end.

21 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Not sure about that.

I have a swimming pool of which the 1.5Hp pump runs 8 hours a day.

An irrigation system that of which the 2hp pump runs 1 hour every day.

A 1Hp well pump to fill the tanks since i don't have city water.

I have fans and aircons, 1 aircon 1200 BTU runs 9 hours a day, fans run the other 15 hours.

PC is on 15 hours a day.

Of course I have other appliances using electric throughout the day, like a security system with 8 cameras running 24/7 etc.

My average usage is 750 units per month, so i think with 300 units the average household does get a whole end.

What's your bill usually, just curious.

We're hitting up to 7,000 a month.  Depends on the whim of the people picking the prices or FT charges (scam).

Pool, aircons, TV, s, etc. 

21 hours ago, khunjeff said:

There's nothing wrong with providing subsidies, but I wish they would stop referring to them as "gifts". They're ultimately paid for by taxpayers, not magically gifted by the politicians currently in office.

What will happen is the same as under the previous Thaksin populist governments.

If you are here long enough you will remember that he gives money away as if there is no tomorrow/

He gave 1 million to about 80.000 villages, that is 80 BILLION.

Money has to come from somewhere, and from what I remember it was saved on infrastructure.

The roads under the last Thaksin government started to look like those in Cambodia

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

What's your bill usually, just curious.

We're hitting up to 7,000 a month.  Depends on the whim of the people picking the prices or FT charges (scam).

Pool, aircons, TV, s, etc. 

You could easily calculate from the usage figures I gave.

Last bill was 2780 baht, previous month because of less irrigation needed, was 2530 baht.

Before the discounts it would be close to 4K because of the high prices per unit, but for the last 10 years it has been between 3 and 3.5K

On 12/9/2023 at 1:39 PM, MrJ2U said:

A few lights, fan, tv.

A little better than cave dwelling.

But that's who can be easily bought off to support these <deleted> up governments. 

Cave dwelling statement I do not agree with but the government spending on the less well off for winning popularity I do agree .