does immigration know when someone is staying in a hotel?

7 minutes ago, Jack1988 said:

Just want to know if immigration check when someone is staying in some hotel even only for one day, as the staff there ask for the passport and do tm30 for the immigration

If it's a low paying hotel, more than likely not, however if it's a reputable hotel, it's more than likely.

Are you worried that you will have to report to immigration as the majority of them don't want to see you unless you return from overseas these days.

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

As I understand it: 

You register at your address with a TM30

If your address does not change, you have no need to register while you are on that Visa or extension of stay. 

Each time you extend your stay, you need to re-register (i.e. submit a TM30 every 15 months or there about).

When you visit a hotel, IF they take your passport and file a TM30 as they are supposed to do (some do, some do not), then Immigration will know you have stayed at that hotel.  BUT, there is no requirement to re-register a TM30 when you return to your Thailand home.

ok thanks

7 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

I've been told by an IO that even if you have done a TM30 previously and have not changed where you normally live, visiting a hotel anytime or prior to returning from abroad to your registered address can disrupt your details in their system making 90 day online reporting unsuccessful etc. I don't understand how this happens when you've done the TM30 process and have the paper in your passport to prove it......

That was years ago...  the 'instruction' was that any time we 'moved' even within Thailand, whether we went to a friends house, a hotel, returned to our Thai home etc... we have to submit a new TM30.

The updated 'instruction' has changed and there have been announcements (a few years ago) - we only need to submit a TM30 when return from overseas or make a new extension of stay. 

Just one final point that is bound to rub some up the wrong way, but I stand by what I say: 

This forum more often than not has up to date information regarding visa's and immigration than the Immigration Officers do. 

I have friends who are Immigration officers and we are often in discussion about such matters, its often surprising (no so much any more) that they have 'old information'... 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

That was years ago...  the 'instruction' was that any time we 'moved' even within Thailand, whether we went to a friends house, a hotel, returned to our Thai home etc... we have to submit a new TM30.

The updated 'instruction' has changed and there have been announcements (a few years ago) - we only need to submit a TM30 when return from overseas or make a new extension of stay. 

AFAIK, If I am returning to the house where I have been registered for 20 + years from an overseas trip, I do not have to submit a new TM30.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

AFAIK, If I am returning to the house where I have been registered for 20 + years from an overseas trip, I do not have to submit a new TM30.

Think it depends where you're located, it's expected where i live but i never bother as there's no consequences.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

Hotels are required to report all stays by foreigners, every 24 hours.

Not just hotels, in theory, if my daughter comes to stay I am (my wife) is supposed to report her in 24hrs. stupid rule, as long as she doesn't have to have any dealings with immigration then no probs.

👀👀👀👀

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Not just hotels, in theory, if my daughter comes to stay I am (my wife) is supposed to report her in 24hrs. stupid rule, as long as she doesn't have to have any dealings with immigration then no probs.

👀👀👀👀

Yes, technically my wife is supposed to report my return home, following a trip in country, but she never has. I pay a legit agent to manage all my interfaces with Immi., I give them my passport to do the 90 day report and have never done anything about TM30 updates for years......my visa still gets extended without hassle or questions.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, johng said:

If they submit the TM30  it will go into the immigration database so if/when immigration checks it will show up,some immigration offices make an issue of others seem not bothered even when returning from overseas

(to the same address)

All "hotels" are supposed to report, if they ask for your passport at check in I think it's almost certain they will report to immigration.

I have done it a few times reporting when I leave the Province I live for another. EVERY TIME they are not interested. They just say Mai Pen Rai and wave me away.

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I have friends who are Immigration officers and we are often in discussion about such matters, its often surprising (no so much any more) that they have 'old information'... 

Not just with immigration either, I got into an argument with a transport office, who insisted that with a yellow book I couldn't register a car, she produced a thick wad of A4s stapled together that looked 20yrs old "NO CAN NOT!" Immigration even rang her and told her I could, she would not back down, they gave me a COR in 10min. They can't be bovered to read up on new rules and just stick with the old ones, younger staff are more knowledgeable on rules than their superiors, but can't tell them init.TIT 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Yes, technically my wife is supposed to report my return home, following a trip in country, but she never has. I pay a legit agent to manage all my interfaces with Immi., I give them my passport to do the 90 day report and have never done anything about TM30 updates for years......my visa still gets extended without hassle or questions.

Never paid an agent in my life and hope I stay in control of all my functions (and money) until the end, if I can walk, talk, and sign my name then that, is all that is required.  No insult intended.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

Never paid an agent in my life and hope I stay in control of all my functions (and money) until the end, if I can walk, talk, and sign my name then that, is all that is required.  No insult intended.

Regrettably, I can only do one of those three.

• Sad 1

Take it that the immigration knows, unless your check-in is accepted against a Thai driver's license. Alternatively, if you are traveling with a Thai national, then let him/her do the check-in on their ID papers - no worries. 

The TM30 procedure can, apparently, also be handled online from a mobile phone (I have no clue though how that works); the TM30 is technically the responsibility of the host/land lord/property owner and many Thai land lords simply refuse to follow this, yet another useless, paper trail of the immigration to tell all those non-Thais, who is who on the banana boat ;-) 

20 hours ago, Jack1988 said:

Just want to know if immigration check when someone is staying in some hotel even only for one day, as the staff there ask for the passport and do tm30 for the immigration

Hotels are required to fill in a TM30 , which is why they ask for your passport. 

However how many of them actually do all the time , and even if they do if anyone at Immigration even looks at those forms is another story. 

I have even stayed in small hotels on the side of the road where no one asked for nothing from me, but it could be that that's because my wife does all the checking in, perhaps If I did it myself they might behave differently.