2023 Aerox and the yconnect app

jtiger

I was thinking of buying the new 2023 Aerox with ABS despite the two color schemes offered being less than attractive.

I am interested in using the Yamaha yconnect app to communicate with the bike because I like gadget things.

I looked at the reviews for the yconnect app for both Android and iOS and they are not good at all (I'm interested in the Android version

personally but the fact that both Android and iOS are bad means something fundamentally is wrong).

The salesman told me that the CCU (installed on the bike and communicates with the app) is improved in the 2023 Aerox so maybe

all those reviews are out of date with respect to the latest hardware.    I wish all reviewers would say which bike and phone and OS they were using but few do

I'm wondering if anyone here has purchased the 2023 Aerox and has personal experience to share about the app and the bike.

One problem with reviews is that people who are happy write reviews far less often than those with problems so reviews tend

to biased to the negative.

Very timely, which I'll get to later. 

Anyway, have the 2021 ABS model and use Android. I only used the app twice. The reason is because it should be designed to always run in the background and connect when you're close to your bike. Thus tracking every trip automatically. 

It doesn't. Every time you want it to track your stats, you have to pull out your phone, start the app, and wait for it to connect to the bike. If you're in a hurry, sorry, you just lost stats for that day because you didn't start the app. 

Anyway, the reason this is timely, is because just last week I get a recall SMS message from Yamaha stating the Y-connect module causes battery drain. I had already disconnected the module having needed to replace the battery within the first year of ownership. Lots on the Internet about this issue. 

I'm hoping your newer year model has solved that issue. For me, I'll just leave it disconnected. 

Other than that, I love this little scooter. 

• Thanks 2

I had just watched a video where this battery drain issue was discussed and the solution was to remove the CCU module..   Then I saw your message.

I'll have ask the salesman if this issue has been addressed in the supposed update to the module.   If not then that's another big problem for yconnect.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

I bought at 2023 Aerox so I can answer my original question.

When I was in the motorcycle shop I saw a big box of new CCUs.   These are new versions of the CCU that supposedly don't have the same battery drain as the previous version.    I assume they are swapping out the old CCU for these new CCUs -- hopefully for free under their warranty program.  

i can't say if I've got a battery drain issue since I've driven the bike every day.   If the weather turns bad I'll get a chance to see how the battery holds up with no charging for a few days.

I'm pleased with the y-connect app.    It stores interesting things about my trips on the bike.   People often complain that the CCU doesn't connect to the phone App every time.   Many times it does connect automatically within 15 seconds but sometimes I have to turn on the phone screen  to cause it to connect.  And fewer times I have to start the app to get it connect.

I don't blame the app for this.   I blame the operating system (Android) which tries to prevent apps from using up battery power by running in the background.   If every app that wanted to run in the background was allowed to do that then battery life would be terrible on these phones.    So the operating system reduces or eliminates certain app's ability to run in the background (Samsung's Android has explicit lists of those apps where it has restricted background activity).    

So I found that after a long period of no connection to the bike the Y-connect app isn't allowed to check very often in the background for a connection to the bike so starting the app  by hand is needed.    If you wait long enough the app in the background will check and connect but by that time you're way down the road.

• Thumbs Up 1