Vietnam (Da Nang) first time since 15 years: advices please

Hello everyone,

I'm living in east Asia since 2005 but only went one time in Vietnam - Hanoi - more than 15 years ago.

As I stayed 9 months in Thailand in 2022 thanks to the Covid extension, immigration in Bangkok make me problems to come back. So, the last time I flied to Chiang Mai where immigration is more relax (and yes, no problem at all and when I waied the lady at immigration, she waied me back too).

However, as I'm flying from Japan or Korea, it's more complicated and/or more expensive to fly to Chiang Man than to Bangkok.

Sunday I'll fly from Busan in Korea and to get a cheap flight, I have to change in Da Nang.

I realised that since August 2023 you can get a 45 days visa at Da Nang airport. So, I'm planning to stay at least one month in Da Nang.

I find that Chiang Mai is more and more expensive, Airbnb prices are close to the ones in Bangkok (at least if you want to stay in the old city). Locations in Da Nang are less expensive.

I need some advice to my stay in Da Nang, mainly about money.

I read some thread about exchanging bath against dongs. Well, I've some won and some yen, but not enough for one month. So, my plan is too use my debit card in euro to get money (my bank doesn't charge me anything when I withdraw money abroad).

1.) So:

- do Vietnam bank charge you for withdrawing with a debit card in euro?

- some bank better change/less fee than others?

- is withdrawing money at airport ok or a big mistake?

- still I should withdraw money in Korea and change it in Vietnam rather than withdrawing dongs in Vietnam?

- is changing money at Da Nang airport a big mistake too?

2.) Also, I'm planning to buy a sim card at Da Nantairport: some useful advices and do/not do about this?

3.) Did I forget something?

Thank you very very much for your help!

40 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

1. never change money at the airport, although the cash machines are OK.

2. Cheap Airport bus goes from beside the domestic arrivals terminal. Out of international, turn right, walk 50m and it's just before the entrance.

Thank you very much for your comment.

1. Well, usually I didn't... that said, in Busan I struggled to find a place to change a little bit of money (not like Bangkok where they are change shop everywhare)

2. My Airbnb is less than 1km from airport, before the bridge, so I'm going to walk (only 1 cabin luggage)

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi, never change at the airport, rate is so low. In Da Nang around the Han Market (just google it) there are many jewellery shops and most will exchange your money and give a better rate than the airport and the banks. Do ask at a couple of places first as the rate can change from shop to shop.

Bus to the city is cheap.

Things to do in Da Nang, Ba Na Hills is worth going to just for the cable car ride (worlds longest) at the top is a collection of theme buildings, not my thing. There is a free tour in Da Nang, called Da Nang Free walking tour, led by local university students.

Hoi An everyone goes to, very disapointed, beautiful old town but every building is either a cafe, restuarant, souvener shop and lots of people trying to sell you stuff in the street. If you do go, then early evening is best.

Highly recommend the city Hue which is about two hours north of Da Nang, well worth going to. Good idea to link up with "Lets Hue", they are on FB, local students who will give you a free tour of Hue, they want to learn a language, just let them know which is your langauge and they will arrange the guide who wants to learn. As a man you will get a male guide, you pay for lunch and any taxi. To get to Hue I recommend a private van, there will be other passengers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My experience, Jewelry stores give best rate but only take USD and Euro.

Bus, even if it's free, can't beat $ 6 taxi. Yes, it's only 5-6 USD from the airport.

If you walk outside the pay-gate and get it there it's 35 000 VND less -:) That's how much drivers have to pay per trip out.