Sports Personality of the Year: Sir Kenny Dalglish wins Lifetime Achievement award

CharlieH

image.png

Liverpool and Scotland legend Sir Kenny Dalglish will be honoured with the Lifetime Achievement award at BBC Sports Personality of the Year.

The 72-year-old won eight league titles and three European Cups as a player and manager at Anfield after joining the club from Celtic in 1977.

Dalglish, who also led Blackburn to the title, is Scotland's most-capped male player and joint record goalscorer.

"Receiving the Lifetime Achievement Award is truly an honour," he said.

"I have always believed in the importance of team success, and I wouldn't be where I am today without all of the players I've played with, the people I've worked for, and the supporters that stood by me, so this is for them."

Glasgow-born Dalglish began his career at Celtic, where he won four Scottish league titles before Liverpool paid a then British record transfer fee of £440,000 to sign him.

In his first season with the Merseyside club he scored 31 goals, including the only goal in the 1978 European Cup final against Bruges at Wembley.

He would go on to win a further two European Cups and five league titles before becoming player-manager at the age of 35 in May 1985.

"To go from the dressing room to the manager's office, I wasn't always the most comfortable, but I had fantastic support from senior people at Liverpool," Dalglish said.

FULL STORY

BBC-LOGO.png