Woman Dies After Motorbike Accident With Pickup Truck in Karon

webfact

image.jpeg

Karon-A female motorbike rider died after she was struck and swept under a pickup truck in Karon.

Emergency responders were notified of the accident on Tuesday (December 19th) on the Karon Beach Road in front of a popular hotel in Karon.

The first reasponders arrived at the scene to find the damaged white pickup truck on the road side. The driver, Mr. Phonprom Patlak, was waiting at the scene for authorities. Nearby, first responders found a damaged black motorbike. 

Warning of graphic content in the CCTV footage video below.

By Goongnang Suksawat

Full story: THE PHUKET EXPRESS 2023-12-20

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, brianthainess said:

What on earth happened, what direction was the pick up traveling in or the motorbike?. none are seen passing the camera until after the event. reading the full story is of no help.

Pickup travel left to right at high speed. Struck the bike (I suspect bike middle road signal right turn). Pick up hits bike and slews clockwise across road facing wrong way on right side side walkway. 

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Pickup travel left to right at high speed. Struck the bike (I suspect bike middle road signal right turn). Pick up hits bike and slews clockwise across road facing wrong way on right side side walkway. 

This is the view from the hotel entrance (on the left) that the video shows. Looking in the direction from which the p/up approached.  The next turning on the right is 210 metres away:

karon.png.7e6acfda29e6feb70a0d90bccfd53b77.png

I do not believe the MC was preparing for a right turn or was encroaching near to the middle of the road or in any way upon the p/up.  In fact it looks to be moving to the left of the road (avoiding action) in the last frames before it goes from view.  I believe the p/up driver lost control of the vehicle (50-100 metres away) due to excessive speed and was in mid spin when it crossed to the wrong side and hit the 2 MCs.

The only reason the driver "was waiting at the scene for authorities"  was that he was in no fit state to do otherwise.

Edited by Enoon