Cost of living in Phuket

smallchungus

Just now, smallchungus said:

Sounds like I should check it out.  I don't care if I am right on the beach or not so that is fine.

That's another of those benefits being down south, sometimes you just grab a beer from 7/11 as chilling on the beach is just fine.

1 hour ago, smallchungus said:

I have read it is one of the more expensive places to live in Thailand.  How much more expensive is Phuket than a place like Jomtien or Hua Hin?  Is it even more than Bangkok?

Depends on your lifestyle and what you need to live, eat and be entertained.

Regular frequenting dens of iniquity is quite costly.

Of course Phuket is a happy touristic place and there is lots to do so will cost you more.

Edited by freeworld

We live in CM but visited Phuket some months ago. We found the place more expensive and we lived there for five years, fifteen years ago, If you know where to go and where to eat, all these places can be broadly similar but some places are harder to find cheaper eateries than others.

• Haha 1

I lived in Phuket for almost a decade and a lot of other places in Thailand and I found that the cost of living was not much different overall, if you owned a car.

The only remarkable differences in Phuket generally were the taxi prices and the added freight/transportation costs.

Because of lack of public transport and taxi prices there I found having a car essential whereas in Pattaya, Hua Hin and a lesser degree in Bangkok not so much.

Makro prices in Phuket say compared to Hua Hin were about 10% more, obviously due to the proximity of Bangkok.

Patong was an exception where the accommodation and the take-away food chains like McDonalds etc added a hefty premium.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, smallchungus said:

Are there many houses to rent with a yard or is it mostly condos and apartments?

Away from Patong I would say that there are plenty of houses - I rent an apartment in Kamala (half of a raised house with a gated yard) and this is a typical local property. However, it is very rare to see a For Sale/For Rent sign around here now - a year ago there were plenty of empty properties. Russians have arrived in great numbers and have really boosted the property market to the delight of the locals! They are desperate and will pay anything.

13 hours ago, London Lowf said:

Away from Patong I would say that there are plenty of houses - I rent an apartment in Kamala (half of a raised house with a gated yard) and this is a typical local property. However, it is very rare to see a For Sale/For Rent sign around here now - a year ago there were plenty of empty properties. Russians have arrived in great numbers and have really boosted the property market to the delight of the locals! They are desperate and will pay anything.

To expand on the Russian influence in the market, my niece just bought a new studio condo in Phuket Town.  She is renting it out to Russians for 13K/mo for a 35 sqm unit. She said she got a lot of inquiries for the place before deciding on who to rent to. Phuket Town used to be cheap, but now all the lower income foreigners are moving there as coastal areas for new condos are quite pricey. The banks are offering financing for first time buyers, so for the first two years, her loan payment is 5K/month, then after 2 years it goes up to 10K/mo, so she is happy making 8K/mo right now.

10 hours ago, dhupverg said:

To expand on the Russian influence in the market, my niece just bought a new studio condo in Phuket Town.  She is renting it out to Russians for 13K/mo for a 35 sqm unit. She said she got a lot of inquiries for the place before deciding on who to rent to. Phuket Town used to be cheap, but now all the lower income foreigners are moving there as coastal areas for new condos are quite pricey. The banks are offering financing for first time buyers, so for the first two years, her loan payment is 5K/month, then after 2 years it goes up to 10K/mo, so she is happy making 8K/mo right now.

As a primarily ex-pat/tourist forum we naturally focus on how it effects us, but I wonder about the locals. I know that many of the Patong bar workers live in Phuket Town because they cannot afford to live in Patong, or even Kathu. I would imagine that the above-mentioned condo was rented to a Thai at 5/6,000 a year ago - it must be hitting them hard and they cannot afford these new prices.

12 hours ago, dhupverg said:

How much did she pay for the condo?

Cheers

2 hours ago, London Lowf said:

.... but I wonder about the locals. I know that many of the Patong bar workers live in Phuket Town because they cannot afford to live in Patong, or even Kathu.

That comment, asking about the locals, brought memories of Whistler BC Canada.  Many of the locals who work in the resort of Whistler BC, Canada can't afford to live there ... so they live in Squamish BC, Canada.  They drive (or in many cases share a drive) back/forth from Squamish to Whistler every working day - about a 50-minute drive on a highway (in good weather conditions).  When weather conditions are bad, it takes much longer. Sometimes the road is closed due to weather.  Some live in Pemberton BC, which is a bit closer, but also can have bad weather conditions trying to drive to Whistler, with a 30 minute drive if they are lucky, and often much much longer to drive to Whistler.

I'm not saying ideal - Far from it.  Its not good.  But sadly, that is the way it often is in this world, in regards to tourist resorts - and Phuket (and Patong) is no different in this regard - where local workers often can not afford the accommodation in the area close to where they need to work.

Edited by oldcpu

My experience living in Chalong area of Phuket was not expensive. ~฿1200 / night for very nice hotel room. ~฿3000 / month for small apartment. ~฿250 / day for motorbike rental. Street food is cheap, less than ~฿100 for a meal. And of course Lotus, Super Cheap, etc. stores are all there. Beaches (Rawai, Kata, etc.) are typically less than thirty minute motorbike ride away.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ibjoe said:

My experience living in Chalong area of Phuket was not expensive. ~฿1200 / night for very nice hotel room. ~฿3000 / month for small apartment. ~฿250 / day for motorbike rental. Street food is cheap, less than ~฿100 for a meal. And of course Lotus, Super Cheap, etc. stores are all there. Beaches (Rawai, Kata, etc.) are typically less than thirty minute motorbike ride away.

You write in the past tense - when was it that you stayed in Chalong.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, ibjoe said:

Chalong - how long ago?

We've stayed in contact with owners of the bungalow we rented for 8500b until 2009 on Soi Yodsane, Chalong; current monthly rental 21,000b - big increase recently from 18,000 a year ago, a case of supply and demand in 2023.

I had a hired motorbike back then from a place in Rawai @ 3000b / month. 

On 12/23/2023 at 3:33 PM, Datsun 1200 said:

I just got back from Chiang Mai and the costs were half of Phuket.

One example, taxi from Airport to YMCA Hotel about 25 min = 150 baht.

In Phuket I would cost 150 baht to go 3km. Hotels/food etc = half

Taxi costs has always been something Phuket should be ashamed of.  The "taxi mafia" (as the expression goes) in Phuket have inflated taxi prices for years.    I suspect other factors are more representative in regards to Chiang Mai being less expensive.

I tend to agree with the 'numbeo' website assessment that the big differences between Phuket and Chiang Mai prices are rental prices, and restaurant prices (where Phuket is about (more or less) to being 2x more expensive).   I also tend to agree with an assessment that in most cases (Taxi, rental accommodation, and restaurant meals excluded) that Chiang Mai is 75% to 85% of the nominal Phuket prices.

if one lives here, 1 seldom takes a taxi>  past year i have not been in 1 taxi

LIVING here eating out 1-2x/week, renting 2 bedroom house, Kamala
30-35,000 baht for 2 of us
we DONT drink in Bars!!!!

VS  Pattaya maybe 10-15% more at most
CM doesn't have a beach so u pay a bit more

FYI: Samui is more expensive

Edited by zzzzz