Scabies/dermatologist

mek

My son has spent a year in boarding school overseas. Unfortunately he managed to get scabies. He's had several treatment's already but seems like he can't get rid of the stuff. He's done all the right things every time he's been treated, like washing all his clothes at 60°c 

Unfortunately it keeps coming back and now we're in doubt if it's actually scabies.

Any recommendations on a good dermatologist somewhere in Bangkok. We're located in Samut Phrakan but are willing to go anywhere as long as it's a good dermatologist.

Mek 

I like Dr. Parichart Chalidapong at St Louis Hospital

https://saintlouis.or.th/th/FindDoctor

But if you want to try much closer by, my suggestion would be either Sikarin Hospital in Bang Na or Samitivej Srinakarin Hospital  which is right off the motorway. 

Dr. Prachiya Paripunna is at both hospitals and had some traning in UK though I have no first hand experience or feedback on her. 

Associate Prof. Nopadon Noppakun at Samitivej Srinakarin would be another option. 

Exactly what drug did he apply for treatment? The gold standard is permethrin 5%. 

• Thanks 1

I used to live near an elephant park.

I used their poo to fertilize the vegetable garden.

Had bumper crops but bloody jumbos gave me scabies.  

The mites started with my hands and then traveled up my arms and to my body.

I had never seen, let alone had scabies so it was quite the ordeal.

But I just took oral invermectin for a few days and applied Benzyl benzoate emulsion  to my skin with cotton balls.

Cleared up entirely in a matter of a few days.

The Benzyl concoction is apparently a nasty substance but it is cheap and the drug of choice in poor African nations.  It is also readily available here, so are the invermectin tablets but they are very hard to find.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I like Dr. Parichart Chalidapong at St Louis Hospital

https://saintlouis.or.th/th/FindDoctor

But if you want to try much closer by, my suggestion would be either Sikarin Hospital in Bang Na or Samitivej Srinakarin Hospital  which is right off the motorway. 

Dr. Prachiya Paripunna is at both hospitals and had some traning in UK though I have no first hand experience or feedback on her. 

Associate Prof. Nopadon Noppakun at Samitivej Srinakarin would be another option. 

Exactly what drug did he apply for treatment? The gold standard is permethrin 5%. 

Thanks Sheryl, 

He has tried permethrin 5% several times. And both me and my wife has done a treatments too, just to make sure we got rid of everything. Wife and me haven't had any symptoms at all, so now we started speculating if it could be something else. 

We'll follow your advice and see one of the doctors you recommend. 

Mek