Tourist visa conversion to Non-O (Thai family)

Hello.

What is the current process for obtaining a conversion to a family Non-O Visa after entering Thailand on a Tourist visa?

The goal is to obtain a 1-year extension in the end.

Also, is there an actual benefit to entering the country on the tourist visa (besides the additional 30 days) as opposed to Visa exempt?

Would the conversion process be the same?

Thank you.

Edited by unheard

Conversion process is the same but different form number and you are not as rushed to get bank account ready using tourist visa.  You visit immigration with at least 15 days remaining with form/2k fee and proof of eligibility/Thai family member.  That gets the non immigrant O visa entry (or you could just get from a Consulate) from which you use TM7/1.9k fee for one year extensions of stay.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, unheard said:

is there an actual benefit to entering the country on the tourist visa (besides the additional 30 days) as opposed to Visa exempt?

Entering Thailand with tourist visa you would use form TM86.

Entering visa exempt use TM87.

There is no difference in the procedure. 

I Assume that you have a Thai bank account in your name only.

The reason I ask is visa exempt provides 30 day stamp. 

Since immigration requires min 15 days remaining on your permission of stay you would need to apply for the non O very soon after entry.

Opening a bank account is not a simple process.

Which immigration office? 

Useful info for me as I am thinking to change my extension time from Dec/Jan, to many tourists getting extensions for the 'Holidays' jamming up the office, last year was better as they had the 45day visa, but this year IO was packed. I was thinking of doing a boarder run with no re-entry permit. bloody new Passport last year stuffed me up, from Aug, now it's December.

5 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

Be aware that Jomtien require 2 month seasoning for the money

Plus Chiang Mai require applications to be submitted no later than 21 days (officially 15 days) before the current permission to stay granted under a tourist visa or 30-day visa exemption expires.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I Assume that you have a Thai bank account in your name only.

Which immigration office? 

Yeah, I do have a Thai bank account.

The immigration office is up North in the sticks - not much of foot traffic and they seem to just follow published procedures without any "inventions" of their own.