Xbox 360 Repair

Etrigan

My 360 has been broken for some time. I have spoke to many techs and shops and all say it's probably unfixable. As the console has no warranty, I've decided that this summer, my project will be to remove the x-clamps and fix the console myself. There are detailed instructions via the net, and if it all goes wrong, I haven't lost out anyway.

I'll keep you posted about the progress, and may even post questions, such as the one below.

Please do NOT use this thread to flame or ridicule. It's a big project, and if it works, it will save a lot of people here a lot of hassle and money too.

Thank you in advance.

Where in Bangkok could I find the folowing (or I'll just order rom B+Q in the UK)? -

a) 8 M5-.80 x 10 Machine Screws #138433

:o 16 #10 Flat Washers – Nylon #139065

c) 16 5mm Flat Washers – Metal #138319

d) Artic Silver thermal compound

Good luck Russ, I found the same way as you have to repair my 360 but I got lost after the first instruction and this was supposed to be the easy version ... lol

My 360 is still workingg ok after being repaired a week ago .... but if you manage to fix yours by doing somthing to the X-Clamps, you might be the go to guy when my one fails again ....

Keep us posted on how you do .... heard this way is 90% positive if you do it right :o

Indeed this is the most successful way to repair the box.But if you want to be sure,instead of heaten up the box after you removed the x-clamps to make the solders flow again,take the removed motherboard to a technician and have the broken solder balls soldered again properly with lead containing solder.After that try to have the board secured to the baseplate around the chip so that it cant bend anymore.This can be done by using longer screws which are pulled through the baseplate and have the space between the baseplate and board filled up using some extra washers.