Lost ATM Card.

NONG CHOK

Hi there, I happened to lose my Krungsri ATM card over the Christmas period, 1st time in 22 years. I instantly blocked the card online when I realised I'd lost it. What is the procedure to get a new one. This card was lost in Pattaya and the account was first opened in Bangkok. Thanks.

• Haha 1

Had similar issue last year. My branch in Central @ Pattaya. Card got eaten by ATM in Malaysia. Went to KBank in EmQuarter and got a new one. Happy to pay the annual renewal fee.

Mind you had a big argument with them as they wouldn't allow me a copy (photocopy or self takened photo) of the documents I was being  asked to sign. After 2 hours of escalation got through to an English speaking agent in their call centre who recognised how Western Banks operated and after signing an additional document was allowed to photo all the Thai documents I was being asked to sign. Don't read Thai, but at least I have copies of the 4 documents I had to sign. " You can not" was the common reply when initially trying.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Nemises said:

Don’t bother. Simply use your phone for cardless ATM withdrawals and for all purchases. 

Yes, the right answer. Don't forget there's no yearly fee to use cardless unlike ATMs where it's a few hundred baht a year. Also no out of area fee. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

My Bangkok Bank ATM card expires this month. Went to the bank on Wednesday and after waiting for over half an hour during which time no-one ahead of me was finished being dealt with I left. Returned today, had the same wait with two in the queue numbers ahead of me leaving as they left while losing the will to live (see me on Wednesday). Having had to present my passport and Passbook, I then had to sign my name nine times and enter my PIN number four times before receiving the card. That's the Thai way. At least it was free, which I didn't expect.

I also have an HSBC card in the UK. When the card is due to expire they post me a new one. That's it. No passport, no passbook, no personal visit to the bank, no signatures.

It's deeply imbedded in the Thai psyche to make things as difficult and as complicated as possible. And because it is normal here the locals see nothing wrong with that. It's all they know.

A lot of the rules are set by the government and banks and hotels have to go through the motions.

When I stay overnight in bkk I use the same hotel at least twice a month.  He knows me by name and the room I like.  But still has to make a copy of my passport.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Just go to any branch but maybe you will need your Bank book, and definitely your PP, not sure if it will work the same but my card expired in Patts and I got a new one there BKB took about 30min max., I'm from Trat.

Edited by brianthainess
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Usually need to go to your branch to get a new one but as you're in Pattaya try there

Usually replacement cards are issued from any branch.   That's the case with Bangkok Bank, Krungsri and Kasikorn for sure.

5 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Having had to present my passport and Passbook, I then had to sign my name nine times

I had the same thing once - the teller says my signature doesnt match - took numerous attempts.  In my experience, when forced to produce a signature in a small box, for them to print into your passbook, it hardly ever looks like your natural signature, but thats not the point, they should look at the style of the signature rather than insisting on a exact copy.

I said to her 'you have my passport, my Thai DL, the names all match, you can see that im the person on these documents.....'

'Sign again pleaseeee' :laugh:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Yeah, but the ATMs are everywhere anymore. 

Yeah, you are always near an ATM in Thailand (Bangkok anyway) but it can be a bit of a pain when you need cash and there isn't one of yours around.  My daughter called me in a pickle recently as she didn't have cash and the ARL wouldn't take True Money (and she had left her ARL card at home). I was going to get her to do cardless cash and send me the QR code but there were no Bangkok ATMs within a km or more.

Anyway I rarely use ATMs at all as prefer to do most things on my phone. But I think I would always prefer to have a physical ATM card unless one day you can do cardless in any machine. There's no downside to having one, they are quick and easy to replace. Plus you need them if travelling overseas.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Yeah, you are always near an ATM in Thailand (Bangkok anyway) but it can be a bit of a pain when you need cash and there isn't one of yours around.  My daughter called me in a pickle recently as she didn't have cash and the ARL wouldn't take True Money (and she had left her ARL card at home). I was going to get her to do cardless cash and send me the QR code but there were no Bangkok ATMs within a km or more.

Anyway I rarely use ATMs at all as prefer to do most things on my phone. But I think I would always prefer to have a physical ATM card unless one day you can do cardless in any machine. There's no downside to having one, they are quick and easy to replace. Plus you need them if travelling overseas.

I am never really without cash, that would be like driving around on fumes, or without a spare. I use an ATM about once a month. 

I have a US "no-fees" ATM card I can use overseas or in a pinch.

I pay most everything with credit cards now. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Cardless withdrawal works really well, just plan ahead when you need cash so you know the ATM you plan to go to. Don't wait until you need it then start thinking

13 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

I was going to get her to do cardless cash and send me the QR code but there were no Bangkok ATMs within a km or more.

Interesting. So you were going to get her to go to a BKK bank ATM, initiate a cardless withdrawal from your account, then send you the qr code which you would then use to ok the withdrawal. Then the money would magically appear at the ATM.

Have you successfully done this in the past? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, gargamon said:

Interesting. So you were going to get her to go to a BKK bank ATM, initiate a cardless withdrawal from your account, then send you the qr code which you would then use to ok the withdrawal. Then the money would magically appear at the ATM.

Have you successfully done this in the past? 

Yes, I have successfully done it in the past when I needed to get money to her. Direct her to a Bangkok Bank ATM, I open my app to start a cardless withdrawal, the ATM displays a QR, she takes a pic and sends it to me, I scan it to approve the transaction and then money magically comes out. Easy.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Yes, I have successfully done it in the past when I needed to get money to her. Direct her to a Bangkok Bank ATM, I open my app to start a cardless withdrawal, the ATM displays a QR, she takes a pic and sends it to me, I scan it to approve the transaction and then money magically comes out. Easy.

Wonderful. Does the bank app allow you to scan a pic on the same device or did you need an additional device to display the code on so you could scan it? Easily done if necessary.

14 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Wonderful. Does the bank app allow you to scan a pic on the same device or did you need an additional device to display the code on so you could scan it? Easily done if necessary.

I had to use a secondary device - I have Line on my laptop so opened the QR code on there and scanned it with my phone.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

My Bangkok Bank ATM card expires this month. Went to the bank on Wednesday and after waiting for over half an hour during which time no-one ahead of me was finished being dealt with I left. Returned today, had the same wait with two in the queue numbers ahead of me leaving as they left while losing the will to live (see me on Wednesday). Having had to present my passport and Passbook, I then had to sign my name nine times and enter my PIN number four times before receiving the card. That's the Thai way. At least it was free, which I didn't expect.

I also have an HSBC card in the UK. When the card is due to expire they post me a new one. That's it. No passport, no passbook, no personal visit to the bank, no signatures.

It's deeply imbedded in the Thai psyche to make things as difficult and as complicated as possible. And because it is normal here the locals see nothing wrong with that. It's all they know.

555 thats my laugh for the day.OMG what an ordeal to get a new ATM card. I lost my Kbank ATM for the 1st time in 20 years before Xmas.

I called customer service to cancel the old one and was instructed to go to my branch to get a new card..I asked to have it mailed to me. She said but that will take a week.I said no problem and it sounded like she was trying to discourage this and wanted me to visit the bank.They took 200 b from my account and a week later it arrived along with tracking. Quite easy.I hate going to my branch because everything takes an hour to complete. 

20 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Thailand is still a paper and pencil culture unable or unwilling to take the jump to our high tech world…

total lack of trust in people and unfamiliar systems so gravitate to the lowest level of a system possible - paper and black pen

That must be why the requests for so many copies and signatures for everything we do here.Banks,licence,immigration on and on.It's got to be mistrust like everyone is a natural born thief.Maybe I'm too honest for my own good.

If it's a local bank it's a fairly simple process to resolve, a friend of mine recently lost his ATM card from a Hawaiian Bank and it was a 7 hour drive from the bank that he lost the card at to his home in Koh Samui. He tried his best to call them to make arrangements for them to ship it to him and even the manager insisted that he had to come back to the bank to pick up the card. This was about an 18-hour round trip with the ferry ride, and there was absolutely no way around it. Dealing with his bank was equally daunting. What can one say, except don't lose your card!