Russian Man Arrested in Phuket After Allegedly Taking Away Minor from Parental Guardian

webfact

image.jpeg

By Goongnang Suksawat

A Russian man was arrested at Phuket International Airport after he allegedly took away a minor under 18 years of age from their parents.

Royal Phuket Immigration told the Phuket Express that on Friday night (January 5th) they arrested a 63-year-old Russian man at Phuket International Airport.

He is being accused of taking away a minor aged more than 15-years-old but not more than 18-years-old from their parents or guardian even if consent was given.

Full story: THE PHUKET EXPRESS 2024-01-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

He is being accused of taking away a minor aged more than 15-years-old but not more than 18-years-old from their parents or guardian even if consent was given.

Kiddie fiddler?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hakuna Matata said:

There's more to this story that we don't know. He might be a good guy. The child (17 years old) might have been willing to go with him. He may be a grandfather of this *child*.

He could be the father trying to take the kid back to Russia without the mothers permission. 

My Russian GF is divorcing her Russian husband and she would not allow him to take their daughter out of Thailand.

• Confused 2

45 minutes ago, Freddy42OZ said:

He could be the father trying to take the kid back to Russia without the mothers permission. 

My Russian GF is divorcing her Russian husband and she would not allow him to take their daughter out of Thailand.

In a case such as this one, it certainly would be no business of the Thai police or immigration.

I find it an obscure law in Thailand where they accuse somebody of taking away somebody between 15-18 even with parental permission.

I see girls having kids and living with very young boyfriends up in Isaarn at not more than 14 years old.

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Short on details to avoid such rumour I expect .... the supplied link is even more limited.

I agree, it would be very strange but not unheard of to take a random 16/17-year-old to the airport.

Poor journalism with scant details, and they mention he was stopped at arrivals when one would have thought departures, so does that have any relevance?

OK, I accept it wouldn't take you long to get from arrivals to departures.

Maybe the man is the grandfather of the child and doesn't know that he needs power of attorney from both parents to travel a child across the border.

(a notarized power of attorney for a child to travel abroad is the consent of the parents, issued as an official document).

4 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

In a case such as this one, it certainly would be no business of the Thai police or immigration.

If the father does not have custody nor permission but tried to leave the country with the child, it would be classed as kidnapping and certainly would be the business of both the Thai police and Immigration.

9 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

If the father does not have custody nor permission but tried to leave the country with the child, it would be classed as kidnapping and certainly would be the business of both the Thai police and Immigration.

A Russian leaving with a Russian minor? 16/17?, I doubt they would look twice, let alone want to get involved.

1 hour ago, Scouse123 said:

A Russian leaving with a Russian minor? 16/17?, I doubt they would look twice, let alone want to get involved.

Immigration would easily look to see if the surnames on the passport were the same or not. If not they would suspect some form of human trafficking. One of my daughters from the UK is divorced with three sons who bear their father's surname. She chose to use both her and her husband's surnames when they were married, and still uses that passport to avoid such issues.

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, Dr B said:

Immigration would easily look to see if the surnames on the passport were the same or not. If not they would suspect some form of human trafficking. One of my daughters from the UK is divorced with three sons who bear their father's surname. She chose to use both her and her husband's surnames when they were married, and still uses that passport to avoid such issues.

16/17-year-olds can travel without parents.

From the airlines website:-

Some airlines permit this for kids as young as 12. When a child has reached this minimum age for traveling alone without unaccompanied-minor procedures, the airline does not require evidence of parental permission to travel alone. If the child has a passport, he or she can even travel internationally.

21 hours ago, Operator2002 said:

Maybe the man is the grandfather of the child and doesn't know that he needs power of attorney from both parents to travel a child across the border.

(a notarized power of attorney for a child to travel abroad is the consent of the parents, issued as an official document).

More likely that she is his girlfriend 

31 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

16/17-year-olds can travel without parents.

From the airlines website:-

Some airlines permit this for kids as young as 12. When a child has reached this minimum age for traveling alone without unaccompanied-minor procedures, the airline does not require evidence of parental permission to travel alone. If the child has a passport, he or she can even travel internationally.

Those are the airlines rules, they are not immigrations rules, immigration has different rules for children going abroad

On 1/8/2024 at 11:14 AM, Scouse123 said:

That would depend on where the kid was born , if the kid was born in Thailand leaving on an empty passport ,  a passport without an entry stamp , Thai immigration would need parental/Court  proof of allowing departure 

25 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

That would depend on where the kid was born , if the kid was born in Thailand leaving on an empty passport ,  a passport without an entry stamp , Thai immigration would need parental/Court  proof of allowing departure 

The kid was Russian according to reports.

29 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Those are the airlines rules, they are not immigrations rules, immigration has different rules for children going abroad

16/17 is not a child.

2 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

16/17 is not a child.

If the kid was born in Thailand leaving on an empty passport ,  a passport without an entry stamp , Thai immigration would need parental/Court  proof of allowing departure , even if they have a foreign passport  .

16/17 is not an adult, its a minor/child or whatever you want to call it

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

16/17 is not a child.

What reports? Where?

Our posts are based on what is shown in the Phuket Express story and I cannot find any information on the minor's age.

Do you have another source to this story?

Edited by Bert got kinky