Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Obtain divorce certificate

Hi

I'm trying to find out how I can get a copy of my divorce certificate from 20 years ago. 

I'm originally from New Zealand and got married to a Thai national in Thailand back in the late 1990s.  We later moved to New Zealand and a few years after that got divorced by mutural concent.  From memory, she handled all of the divorce process so I don't know how or where she got it done, I just remember signing the papers. We were both living in Nz at the time and I remember getting a copy of the divorce certificate but I obviously no longer have that.

Now I need a copy of the certificate so any idea where I could start my search?  I have had no contact with her in 20 years and I also don't have a copy of the marriage certificate.

Any help would appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

From what I know you cannot get the Original Divorced Certificate, this was said to me by the Ampur when I got mines. But a copy with a stamp is all you really need.

That said, start with the Ampur where you registered your marriage. They will know the Ampur where it was done, as I was also told, one  must go back to that divorce Ampur to deal with anything with the divorce. 

If you get the Ampur and a copy of your divorce (stamped), send it to translate & certified into English, then take that and the copy the Ampur give you to the Thai Ministry Of Foreigner Affairs with your passport to get it legalized.

You got to remember dates / month years. Both marriage & divorce that will help them track it down. I would suggest you take a person that can read Thai and can translate to you, unless you can.

On 1/9/2024 at 12:44 PM, John456 said:

I'm trying to find out how I can get a copy of my divorce certificate from 20 years ago. 

If you're in Thailand, start at the amphur that issued the original divorce certificate...which, more than likely, will be the amphur that issued the original marriage certificate.  If you're in NZ, start your enquiries at an embassy/consulate.