Lots of sizzling....

Im hoping to get more of a handle of my electrical problem before PEA arrives.. Today? 55. Fingers crossed. 

My issue started one week ago.. Lights began flickering and aircon compressor noise changed pitch and struggled. Then the flickering went to full on and off mode. I turned the main circuit breaker switch to OFF 

Next morning... Breakers back on... No issues. Non of my neighbors had issues... So it appeared it was just my problem. 

Last night... again.. Night time... The issue returned. Exact same events. I worked up early.. 5 am... Turned the breaker to ON... and went outside to check out the pole with my meter and 3 more.. 

Yikes.... My meter... Was zapping a lot... Which coincided with the flashing light show inside my home. 

I called PEA. They will be here within 34 hours 5555 555....

However... All is normal again now... Aircon is on as an experiment and zero issues. I have a UPS that supplies power to some electronics... and the UPS is happy 

My question...why would the shorting sound at the meter and flickering only occur at night.. Sure.. Higher humidity... But it's not that much a difference.. The temperature.. In the sun... is very different. Some lose connection would do this? A lizard fried there would have been done with a week ago... 

Any additional thoughts? Cheers 

I had a sizzling problem years ago, somewhere in a corner of my apartment.

At the end we found out that the compressor of the AC was "the problem". Compressor changed, problem solved.

Please don't ask me to explain technically why it was sizzling and where. Fact is, after the new compressor the problem was permanently solved. 

On 1/12/2024 at 11:30 AM, Crossy said:

More likely a loose connection at the meter (fizzing and flickering is a dead giveaway), PEA will have a screwdriver :smile:

As to why only at night, who really knows, cooler temperatures maybe.

Quite right, the connections have overheated being loose and now are working overtime, easy fix for PEA

• Like 1

We had some problems latter half of last year.

Voltage dropping erratically 100~225v then back to normal, every time it happened the inverter reset on low input and it was going on some days every 3 or 4 minutes so didn't do much generation.

Anyways it quietened down for a few weeks so I suspected it was just poor power management by our supplier at the time.

In the end house went black and it was the only one on the street in that scenario. I thought either the meter or under road cabling until I got the detector out and realised we just had no power to the meter.

They responded quickly (about 7 hours).

Turned out there was a loose connection in the local junction box on their side just outside the moo baan.

Tightened the connection and has been perfect ever since.

When I think about it .....had been going on for quite some time, I guess it was arcing and welding the cable in place again. Lol.

Had me confused and still don't quite understand how only we were affected.

It's white man's magic that electrical stuff. Lol. Back to my beer.

Best

PR3

On 1/12/2024 at 11:22 AM, 1happykamper said:

Im hoping to get more of a handle of my electrical problem before PEA arrives.. Today? 55. Fingers crossed. 

My issue started one week ago.. Lights began flickering and aircon compressor noise changed pitch and struggled. Then the flickering went to full on and off mode. I turned the main circuit breaker switch to OFF 

Next morning... Breakers back on... No issues. Non of my neighbors had issues... So it appeared it was just my problem. 

Last night... again.. Night time... The issue returned. Exact same events. I worked up early.. 5 am... Turned the breaker to ON... and went outside to check out the pole with my meter and 3 more.. 

Yikes.... My meter... Was zapping a lot... Which coincided with the flashing light show inside my home. 

I called PEA. They will be here within 34 hours 5555 555....

However... All is normal again now... Aircon is on as an experiment and zero issues. I have a UPS that supplies power to some electronics... and the UPS is happy 

My question...why would the shorting sound at the meter and flickering only occur at night.. Sure.. Higher humidity... But it's not that much a difference.. The temperature.. In the sun... is very different. Some lose connection would do this? A lizard fried there would have been done with a week ago... 

Any additional thoughts? Cheers 

Brownout perhaps? Low voltage at night because of higher loads on local transformer? Use a meter to measure voltage at an outlet when the issue occurs.

Just a thought. Good luck.