Deciphering a sim card deal?

So, rather than using a (dtac) Tourist sim for the next 2 months, and paying over the odds to stay connected with data, I have found and ordered a True sim on Shopee. 

Now, it's the first time doing this so please bear with me. 

I presume once it's arrived with me, I go to a True shop and register it, and then pay for the 100GB promotion? But what is that cost per month and will it be easy for me to explain what I want? 

I'm presuming again that at the end of the 30 days I do it again for next month?

The whole idea is to have a "keeper" number here in Thailand. I've just read another thread on here about how to keep the number alive so I'm hoping next time I'm back the number will still be valid. 

It seems this is the way to go rather than just going into a shop and asking for a monthly deal.

Am I on the right tracks with my understanding or completely wrong?

Screenshot_20240112_160641_com.shopee_th_thumb.jpg.bb096a2b1e2a2d1e79950c4de2f643f4.jpg

I have a 12 month unlimited dtac 30mbps sim. Cost about 2100bt a couple of months back. Apparently about 2800 now. You didn't say how much you paid for your sim. 

Tested the speed today. 32mbps while streaming CNN at the same time. 

I saw that a lot of people buy a 1 year deal like you have, but for me it would be overkill as I'm only here 2 months this trip. 

I did look at having TOT broadband connected, but again it would be overkill, plus the fact they couldn't install for "between 10 and 15 days". 

I just need something for a couple of months, and the possibility of keeping it alive until next time. 

1 minute ago, Johnlkuk said:

I saw that a lot of people buy a 1 year deal like you have, but for me it would be overkill as I'm only here 2 months this trip. 

I did look at having TOT broadband connected, but again it would be overkill, plus the fact they couldn't install for "between 10 and 15 days". 

I just need something for a couple of months, and the possibility of keeping it alive until next time. 

When the SIM arrives, it should be supplied with the prerequisite short code to enter on your mobile’s keypad, after topping up the required amount. At a guess, you’ll need to top up 550 baht for a 90 day pack costing 535 baht. 

13 minutes ago, NextG said:

When the SIM arrives, it should be supplied with the prerequisite short code to enter on your mobile’s keypad, after topping up the required amount. At a guess, you’ll need to top up 550 baht for a 90 day pack costing 535 baht. 

Thanks, I think. 

So, surely all sim cards have to be registered, like when you have to show your passport when buying a simcard in a shop?

It sounds a bit too easy and open to abuse from those who don't want to be traced. 

Looking at the translation below, I think option 4 would better suit me, especially as it says it won't auto-renew.

A month to month deal rather than 3 months with auto-renewal.

I guess there would be different short codes for the different options? 

Screenshot_20240112_181910_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.thumb.jpg.3d994b855ce61bfa07d0e7e6f340e5e8.jpg 

16 minutes ago, Johnlkuk said:

Thanks, I think. 

So, surely all sim cards have to be registered, like when you have to show your passport when buying a simcard in a shop?

It sounds a bit too easy and open to abuse from those who don't want to be traced. 

Looking at the translation below, I think option 4 would better suit me, especially as it says it won't auto-renew.

A month to month deal rather than 3 months with auto-renewal.

I guess there would be different short codes for the different options? 

Screenshot_20240112_181910_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.thumb.jpg.3d994b855ce61bfa07d0e7e6f340e5e8.jpg 

You have to register the SIM regardless. The Truemove H outlet may not have the short codes of Independent Vendors. Registration is a separate action from application of a package. 
If you don’t want it to auto-renew, don’t top up the amount needed to re-apply the package. 

Just to wrap this thread up can I say thanks to everyone for their input. 

For info purposes:

The sim arrived and the instructions were to add the seller to Line. Once there the seller answered me in English and gave me an account number at Kasikorn bank.

I was to transfer 320 baht, then send him a copy of the bank receipt, a pic of my passport, a pic of the barcode on the sim packaging and to notify which package I wanted. 

Once I did this, and within minutes, he had worked his magic and the sim was loaded and working. 

No short codes, or visit to a True shop. 

He said I can do the same for as long as I need it, so next month will be sorted too, and as long as I can keep extending the validity whilst not in Thailand, it should be valid for next trip too. 

So, other sellers may use different methods, but this works well for me, 320 baht (plus 35 baht bank fee) for 30 days of reliable internet at home or out and about. 

9 hours ago, Johnlkuk said:

For info purposes:

The sim arrived and the instructions were to add the seller to Line. Once there the seller answered me in English and gave me an account number at Kasikorn bank.

I was to transfer 320 baht, then send him a copy of the bank receipt, a pic of my passport, a pic of the barcode on the sim packaging and to notify which package I wanted. 

Once I did this, and within minutes, he had worked his magic and the sim was loaded and working. 

He said I can do the same for as long as I need it, so next month will be sorted too, and as long as I can keep extending the validity whilst not in Thailand, it should be valid for next trip too. 

So, other sellers may use different methods, but this works well for me, 320 baht (plus 35 baht bank fee) for 30 days of reliable internet at home or out and about. 

Does that mean that you chose Option 4?

The public facing package for that is shown below , but it’s 399 baht. Do you have the same package? It will be indicated by SMS sent to you. 

Open a new number And apply for a 5G internet package priced at 399 baht and get 100GB of internet for 30 days.

Ready to receive special privileges

1. Free 900 baht cash coupon (100 baht for 9 months) for shopping at 7-Eleven, Makro, Lotus 
2. Free life insurance. Maximum cumulative protection of 270,000 baht 
3. Free good movies and famous series from the True Unlock package until 31 July 2024 (get the right to press *555*56# within 15 Jan. 2024)

Additional details and conditions
● Apply for this additional pack within 7 days from the day the number was opened.  
● Pack 399 baht for 30 days (automatic renewal): 100 GB full speed 5G internet (when used in full Can be used continuously at a speed of 1Mbps) 
● Receive a 100 baht cash coupon at the TrueID app. and receive continuously for up to 9 months, totaling 900 baht when the package is successfully renewed every month.  
● Register to receive free life insurance at the FWD website as received in the SMS confirming package application. And coverage begins when insurance registration is completed | Life insurance covers death. from illness or injury | Customers will receive cumulative coverage of 7,500 baht per month. When top-up for the same package continuously for 36 months will receive maximum coverage of 270,000 baht. | Coverage will end immediately in the event Unsuccessful package renewal within 15 days from the renewal due date | Insured by FWD Life Assurance Public Company Limited and receive a discount code from Lazada worth 30 baht (receive SMS informing of the code within 60 days after Successfully applied for insurance rights, only for customers who register to receive insurance rights for the first time) 
● True Unlock package, free viewing until 31 July 2024 (usually valued at 299 baht/month). Get rights by pressing * 555*56# Receive rights within 15 Jan. 2024 | Watch via mobile network in the TrueMove H system only | Limited to 1 right per 1 SIM | The company reserves the right to change the program without notification. Users will be informed in advance  
. ● Special privileges only for participating packages. 
● Can use the 5G signal automatically for customers who have phones/devices that support 5G and are in the area covered by the 5G signal. 
● Other conditions apply. As specified by the company

https://www.true.th/en/news/truemoveh/new5g-max-t/

9 hours ago, Johnlkuk said:

For info purposes:

To extend validity wherever you are, activate International Roaming: *112*1# and then press the Call key. 
If you don’t want any calls forwarded whilst abroad: ##002# and then the call key. 
Remember to switch off DATA ROAMING on your phone whilst abroad, if you don’t need to use the Internet, but just SMS for topping up etc

10 minutes ago, NextG said:

To extend validity wherever you are, activate International Roaming: *112*1# and then press the Call key. 
If you don’t want any calls forwarded whilst abroad: ##002# and then the call key. 
Remember to switch off DATA ROAMING on your phone whilst abroad, if you don’t need to use the Internet, but just SMS for topping up etc

Very handy info, thank you. 

37 minutes ago, NextG said:

Does that mean that you chose Option 4?

The public facing package for that is shown below , but it’s 399 baht. Do you have the same package? It will be indicated by SMS sent to you. 

Open a new number And apply for a 5G internet package priced at 399 baht and get 100GB of internet for 30 days.

Ready to receive special privileges

1. Free 900 baht cash coupon (100 baht for 9 months) for shopping at 7-Eleven, Makro, Lotus 
2. Free life insurance. Maximum cumulative protection of 270,000 baht 
3. Free good movies and famous series from the True Unlock package until 31 July 2024 (get the right to press *555*56# within 15 Jan. 2024)

Additional details and conditions
● Apply for this additional pack within 7 days from the day the number was opened.  
● Pack 399 baht for 30 days (automatic renewal): 100 GB full speed 5G internet (when used in full Can be used continuously at a speed of 1Mbps) 
● Receive a 100 baht cash coupon at the TrueID app. and receive continuously for up to 9 months, totaling 900 baht when the package is successfully renewed every month.  
● Register to receive free life insurance at the FWD website as received in the SMS confirming package application. And coverage begins when insurance registration is completed | Life insurance covers death. from illness or injury | Customers will receive cumulative coverage of 7,500 baht per month. When top-up for the same package continuously for 36 months will receive maximum coverage of 270,000 baht. | Coverage will end immediately in the event Unsuccessful package renewal within 15 days from the renewal due date | Insured by FWD Life Assurance Public Company Limited and receive a discount code from Lazada worth 30 baht (receive SMS informing of the code within 60 days after Successfully applied for insurance rights, only for customers who register to receive insurance rights for the first time) 
● True Unlock package, free viewing until 31 July 2024 (usually valued at 299 baht/month). Get rights by pressing * 555*56# Receive rights within 15 Jan. 2024 | Watch via mobile network in the TrueMove H system only | Limited to 1 right per 1 SIM | The company reserves the right to change the program without notification. Users will be informed in advance  
. ● Special privileges only for participating packages. 
● Can use the 5G signal automatically for customers who have phones/devices that support 5G and are in the area covered by the 5G signal. 
● Other conditions apply. As specified by the company

https://www.true.th/en/news/truemoveh/new5g-max-t/

I can't see the info on any SMS, but does this answer you? 

It was option 4 I chose by the way. 

Screenshot_20240118_175715_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.3dac2485e57d2b2cc99d46e1bcef34cf.jpg

18 minutes ago, Johnlkuk said:

I can't see the info on any SMS, but does this answer you? 

It was option 4 I chose by the way. 

Screenshot_20240118_175715_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.3dac2485e57d2b2cc99d46e1bcef34cf.jpg

Yes, that solves the mystery. He communicated it to you as 100GB, but there you can see it’s the 99GB package. Not that you need to concern yourself about the ‘lost’ GB 😊
E6927ACC-40DB-4C75-885C-E81835CCE692.jpeg.c795b151bf7ecac1235c0c906a03aa82.jpeg