Changing Money in Pattaya

Need to change 200,000 Bht into euros.

usually i do this at superrich in Bangkok, but this time i need to do it in Pattaya.

Most money changers in Pats give poor rates does anyone knows a money changers in Pats with good rates?

They don’t give poor rates. Just not as good as the best of Bangkok. But you can negotiate for larger amounts. Call around and gather offers. Bank Gold is a good place to start. TT also negotiate. 

Edited by NextG
  • Like 1

TT have 2 large branches which might be better for such a large amount. One is on 2nd Rd close to junction with Pattaya South (Tai) Rd, the other on Pattaya / Naklua Rd on the LHS heading up from the roundabout.

Some banks in Central Festival 4th Floor give good rates, e.g. Kasikorn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NextG said:

They don’t give poor rates. Just not as good as the best of Bangkok. But you can negotiate for larger amounts. Call around and gather offers. Bank Gold is a good place to start. TT also negotiate. 

Thanks will check them out.

did read some negative online comments this money changer but i go for a visit

3 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Yes I might try Kasikorn bank also on pattaya klang road. 

There is more footfall from tourists at Central Festival plus several other banks in the same place.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Thanks will check them out.

did read some negative online comments this money changer but i go for a visit

I meant call by telephone BEFORE you go. That’s what I did. 

There is very little difference between the actual exchange rates offered by the banks, they all use their Treasury function which is connected to the FOREX. The sign boards may show different rates but actual rates change in real time hence it's only the rate at the moment of exchange that is pertinent. The money changers are the same way but their margins are slimmer because their overheads are less. I'm pretty sure if you could take 10 people and ask them to exchange the same amount of the same currency, at the same time, at 10 different money exchangers in the same area, the difference in the rate would be negligible.

18 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

I'm pretty sure if you could take 10 people and ask them to exchange the same amount of the same currency, at the same time, at 10 different money exchangers in the same area, the difference in the rate would be negligible.

Can't tell about the Baht to Euro change but for the usual Euro to Baht change the differences are very marginal. Damini like 3 to 5 Satang (0.03/0.04) better than TT.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

Picture from 3rd of July 2022 taken within 4 minutes (roads empty :smile:).

Damini 6 Satang better than TT for EUR to THB.

Currency market (middle) rate on the day about 37.08.

220703183457.jpg

220703183857.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ

Could there be a problem changing Bt -----> Euros in larger amounts ? It would mean every branch having to keep large stocks of foreign currency . I tried changing Bt to £ last year in Patts and couldn`t find any of the small kiosks who had any £ in stock .

12 hours ago, persimmon said:

Could there be a problem changing Bt -----> Euros in larger amounts ? It would mean every branch having to keep large stocks of foreign currency . I tried changing Bt to £ last year in Patts and couldn`t find any of the small kiosks who had any £ in stock .

Not all branches of all banks carry foreign currency, even in the larger branches it is often necessary to give advance notice,  if you need larger amounts of a specific currency which gives them chance to gather it from branches and send it to the customers branch. Banks tend not to hang on to foreign currency for very long and instead exchange it at the central bank where it goes into the Foreign Currency Reserves. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1