Cloned monkey still alive after two years - so are we nearer to replicating humans?

stats

Screenshot_13.jpg.0fe46811cac74cd20f95b967f486a6da.jpg

Only one of the 113 cloned embryos survived - but ReTro the rhesus monkey is still going strong

A cloned rhesus monkey has survived for more than two years and has led to "valuable insights" into the scientific process, according to experts.

Scientists in China used a modified version of the same technique that was used to create Dolly the sheep, the world's first cloned mammal.

Out of the 113 cloned embryos, 11 were implanted into surrogate monkeys, but only one survived. It has been named ReTro.

The team said that although the success rate of producing viable and healthy clones is low - less than 1% in this case - it pushes forward the understanding of primate cloning.

(more)

https://news.sky.com/story/cloned-monkey-still-alive-after-two-years-so-are-we-nearer-to-replicating-humans-13049861

• Sad 1

More humans, more animals. The tragedy of sentient life. Life, the suffering machine. More suffering, on and on (until the Earth reverts to mineral only).

Life is not a blessing. Life is a trap. Yet when they look into the cosmos they want to find "Life". Suffering on one planet is not enough. They want suffering to have taken hold on other planets. How great it would be if another planet accomodated living things to howl in pain while eaten alive by other living things! Living things to suffer in body and mind like here on Earth.

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The question for that would be why would we want to? It's not like there is a shortage of us.

Well I guess there would certainly be no need to replicate you right?

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

I am surprised he has not put himself on ignore, as his comments are so inconsistent.

I hope not as I have  done that mentally wrt him but not physically as I love a good laugh!

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Agree 1