khlong yai hat lek border run

Hi,

I plan to make a border run at khlong yai hat lek (Cambodia) for a 90 day extension from my NON O. Is this border a good choice, does it take long time there, few hours?

I want to go to Koh Chang after, is that the nearest border?

It's a good and relatively quiet border crossing, and yes, nearest to Koh Chang.

For the Cambodian eVisa, the address of a hotel in Koh Kong (such as for example, Apex or Natthy) would be suitable.

Please be aware that Cambodian immigration will probably charge you an extra fee (typically about 300 baht) to allow you to return to Thailand on the same day. That's pretty much standard, as officially, you are required to stay overnight.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, Jo77 said:

Hi,

I plan to make a border run at khlong yai hat lek (Cambodia) for a 90 day extension from my NON O. Is this border a good choice, does it take long time there, few hours?

I want to go to Koh Chang after, is that the nearest border?

Last time I went it took about 1 hr. max you pay an extra 300b for not staying overnight.

I had an E-visa and didn't stay overnight. A hotel address was not needed. Yes it is the nearest boarder, about 90k from Trat city. By the way the old CenterPoint ferry is running again, no queuing, closer to Trat, but a very limited service. Friendly staff and a proper sit on toilet. 

IMG_20230511_091346(2).jpg.7180a323c5fa576cfdd69ae2018f9462.jpg 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jo77 said:

Thank you very much for your answers

@brianthainess  Thanks for the ferry time, good info, I will try this one, I will call to know if it's ok for the car.

No need to call I used it 2 days ago, takes about 20-30 cars and only has about 6-10 using it. be warned they do leave normally on time, I only use this one now, for us we have their yearly membership card so 50% discount Effing bargain if you live here.

(On a personal note I would rather wait 2 hrs. early than use the other one.) They normally load about 30min before now its quiet. You might enjoy a giggle at their signs. Edit if you use it to go back no queue just drive on and pay on the other side.

IMG_20201117_124358.thumb.jpg.a410959256c8ed89ff70eb19c353b9d5.jpg

IMG_20201206_134421.thumb.jpg.113f552b63efe7c269e37d946e1f4fe8.jpg

Edited by brianthainess
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jo77 said:

Noted, I will be there on 26 January

Just noticed that is a Friday so if you can, use the CenterPoint ferry to avoid the long week end queues. As with Sunday and Monday.

6 hours ago, Kinok Farang said:

Prepare to pay twice what you would online or at PP airport.

Robbing bxxxxxds.

So Hat Lek is still the No one rip-off border crossing in Cambodia?Haven't crossed there in a while, but they used to take corruption to a whole new level, and would throw in a fair bit of moroseness .

On 1/18/2024 at 2:08 PM, Caldera said:

It's a good and relatively quiet border crossing, and yes, nearest to Koh Chang.

For the Cambodian eVisa, the address of a hotel in Koh Kong (such as for example, Apex or Natthy) would be suitable.

Please be aware that Cambodian immigration will probably charge you an extra fee (typically about 300 baht) to allow you to return to Thailand on the same day. That's pretty much standard, as officially, you are required to stay overnight.

It's 300 Baht now. Used to be a 100, which at some border crossings had to be paid right next to a sign saying ,NOTHING TO BE PAID HERE.

Anyone here remember the health check at this border?

A local lad used to shine his torch in the farangs eyes,say"yes ok" then charged you 20 baht.

All done in-front of the IO's.

Entrepreneurship at its very best.

• 2 weeks later...

Everything went well, when I arrived at the immigration check in Cambodia one guy that was standing with a police officer jumped on me and took my passport, he told me to pay 1800 bahts I answered that I would pay in dollars and once with the officers they asked 40$, I thought it was 30$ but that must be right.

After this the guy who took my passport wanted 500 bahts for his forced help and 300 for the corruption fee (I don't know how you call it). I told him that 100 bahts would be enough for his time and I paid the 300 bahts to the officer.

The whole thing took around an hour without too much hassle, no very friendlish but ok, total cost 1900 bahts (40$=1430 bahts)

Regarding the ferry I finally went to Ao Thammachat as it was 2 hours before the next centre point ferry. Quite fast there too despite the long car queue.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jo77 said:

he told me to pay 1800 bahts I answered that I would pay in dollars and once with the officers they asked 40$, I thought it was 30$ but that must be right.

You are right, for what it's worth. The official fee for a Cambodian tourist visa on arrival is $30. Most officials at most land borders try to charge more, it is what it is.

21 minutes ago, Caldera said:

You are right, for what it's worth. The official fee for a Cambodian tourist visa on arrival is $30. Most officials at most land borders try to charge more, it is what it is.

Yes I felt they were acting strangely and not very confident when asking for 40$, I'm wondering why as I guess not much would happen to them for stealing even more. Anyway the E-visa is 36$, not a big difference.

On 1/19/2024 at 3:45 PM, Kinok Farang said:

Anyone here remember the health check at this border?

A local lad used to shine his torch in the farangs eyes,say"yes ok" then charged you 20 baht.

All done in-front of the IO's.

Entrepreneurship at its very best.

Yes, I remember that, it was very creepy. AFAICR, they did away with it when the e-visa scheme got up and running. After that, it was great going through Cham Yeam as the bent IO's couldn't demand extra kickbacks any more as you already had the visa. You had to take pity, though, on the poor souls who hadn't used the e-visa system and were still trying to negotiate and bribe their way through.