Bank account status after work permit cancelled

My work permit and visa will be cancelled this week. I intend to do a visa run and come back on a tourist visa, and may apply for a retirement visa. I have several bank accounts in Thailand  opened many years ago. Do I need to advise my banks on my visa status an would they still be legal if I stayed on a tourist visa and/or a retirement visa ( I assume answer to the latter is yes.

11 minutes ago, Crossy said:

No issues.

Keep schtum, why invite potential problems?

If you already have the financials in place, you may be able to swap to a retirement extension without leaving the country.

Schtum?

I agree. When I retired it was no issue with my personal accounts. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Love It 1

If I'm not mistaken anyone can have a bank account here regardless of Immigration / working status... 

Long term tourists (who were able to open one), retuires, nomads, etc etc...  you get the point. 

Thailand is not like 'some' other countries such as those in the Middle East whereby as soon as your residency visa ends so does everything else. 

• Like 1

I'm not so sure on this one.

I vaguely recall years ago...I renewed my passport.

Subsequently attended bank to get some green.

No good. The bank insisted they update their records (passport details. Guess pp # was main one) 

Then did the transition.

OP, don't think you will have any issue but suggest talk with bank directly 

26 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

No good. The bank insisted they update their records (passport details. Guess pp # was main one) 

Then did the transition.

I think the passport is a much different issue, in that is identification. And (at least in the US) it is not just renewed, a new passport with a new number is issued. 

When I retired I had personal accounts with Kasikorn, Bangkok and Krunsri and have not had any issues with any of them, and I have since open new accounts at Kasikorn and Krunsri without a work permit. 

Get your retirement visa 1st - can be done in 1 day DEPENDING on your LOCAL IO policy, THEN advise your bank(s) of change of status.

You MUST have a bank account for a retirement visa and the yearly extensions of stay.

I had to advise my bank of a NEW passport ( 10 years here same bank ) a teller caught that my passport numbers on my account and physical passport did not match. - just paperwork for me as i was known at the bank making basically the same deposit every month.

It all goes to money laundering possibilities that conserns the bank

Edited by edwardflory
spelling

15 hours ago, Crossy said:

Maybe different spelloing.

Using the "c" seems to be very British.

image.png.175cb03bc703525e576e97f5177fb4e0.png

Yup, German 'stumm' but for sure not silent. It's a strong 'sh' sound followed by 't'. 

My work permit was cancelled about 5 years back as retired. No need to tell the banks anything. Even when obtained a renewal of passport with new number I advised the banks of new passport number. No questions were asked about visa status, so recommend keep silent. I have bank accounts with BBL and KBank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Then did the transition.

They only update the passport details, nothing to do with work permit.

No need to talk to the bank at all.

On 1/23/2024 at 6:40 PM, DrJack54 said:

Then did the transition.

Totally different, so irrelevant

Also, in the many years you have been on this page, have you EVER or EVER seen anyone being given the advice of advising their bank as to a change in visa/extension status?

On 1/23/2024 at 10:45 AM, richard_smith237 said:

If I'm not mistaken anyone can have a bank account here regardless of Immigration / working status... 

Long term tourists (who were able to open one), retuires, nomads, etc etc...  you get the point. 

Thailand is not like 'some' other countries such as those in the Middle East whereby as soon as your residency visa ends so does everything else. 

Oh dear .... where do we start?

1 hour ago, bigt3116 said:

have you EVER or EVER seen anyone being given the advice of advising their bank as to a change in visa/extension status?

My post was completely incorrect.

Of course visa/extension status has nothing to do with bank.

Somehow I read it that OP obtaining new pp.

Even that would only require updating pp # on the account.

• Like 1