8-year-old set to kite foil across the Gulf of Thailand this week!

webfact

image.jpeg

Thanawat “Shane” Promwaen, the remarkable 8-year-old kite & wing foiling prodigy from Thailand, is gearing up for a record-breaking journey across the Gulf of Thailand on Wednesday, 24 January.

In a demonstration of remarkable skill and determination, 8-year-old Shane from Pattaya is set to cover an impressive 110 kilometers (70 miles) from Pattaya to Pak Nam Pran, near Hua Hin, setting a record for the youngest ever to achieve the crossing by kite foil.

Born on 11 February, 2015, Shane has been making waves in the world of kite and wing foiling since the tender age of three and his latest adventure is a significant step in his preparation for international competitions in 2024.

Shane balances his academics in the 3rd grade with an intensive training schedule, guided by his biggest mentors, his parents. But currently too young to compete, he relies on special invitations into adult competitions.

By Online Reporter

Full story: HUA HIN TODAY 2024-01-24

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Thumbs Up 2

At what speed will he be travelling. I reckon about 15 mph, depending on sea conditions. So it will take about 4.5 hours. Can he 'land' to take on food, water, pee-pee?

Could it be assessed as Child Abuse?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, NE1 said:

Will his young body have the strength to hang on for 4 hours fighting the waves ?

On a foilboard you don't really 'fight' the waves.  The board flies above the waves, only the hydrofoil is in the water.  Actually quite relaxing once you become proficient at it.  All tension from the kite goes to your harness, the control bar itself has very little tension on it, especially for the Ozone Edge kite he will be using.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, n8sail said:

Easy-peasy for Shane.  I kite with him many weekends, his local kiting spot is in Na Jomtien.  He was more proficient at kite foilboarding than I am when he was only 6 years old, and I've been doing it for about 7 years.  His father is an incredible kite foiler, was in the Olympic trials for France this year in kite foiling.  He is an excellent coach and father.

Average speed will be around 13-15 knots, faster if good wind.

Godspeed, Shane!

Good to hear that, hopefully the safety boat is as professional.

• Agree 1