Cancel O-A visa via Cambodia border run?

My O-A retirement visa expires in less than a month. My plan is to do a border run to Cambodia, using a professional border run service, and return as a visa-exempt tourist. I will then apply for an O-visa.

Has anyone used this method, and did it work for you?

More details:

I do NOT have a re-entry permit.

I'm in the Pattaya area and use the Immigration office in Jomtien.

I've had over 800k Baht in a Thai bank for a couple of years.

Edited by eboy

2 minutes ago, eboy said:

My O-A retirement visa expires in less than a month.

The way that is written implies that you have a valid Non O-A.

You need to clarify that. 

You need to exit and reenter AFTER it has expired. 

From visa exempt entry, yes you can obtain a non O retirement and subsequent extension.

However Jomitien is a rogue office and currently requiring funds in bank for 2 months prior to application for the non O.

In reality it's only required on day of application.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You need to clarify that. 

You need to exit and reenter AFTER it has expired. 

From visa exempt entry, yes you can obtain a non O retirement and subsequent extension.

However Jomitien is a rogue office and currently requiring funds in bank for 2 months prior to application for the non O.

In reality it's only required on day of application.

My understanding is that if I stay past my visa expiration, even 1 day, I'm violating the rules. That's why I'm planning the border run before it expires.

As noted in my edited note, money in the bank is not a problem for me.

10 minutes ago, eboy said:

My understanding is that if I stay past my visa expiration, even 1 day, I'm violating the rules. That's why I'm planning the border run before it expires

So to be 100% clear. 

You are not on extensions from the non O-A you actually have a VALID non O-A.

If you do you could consider a border run and reenter prior to non O-A expiry.

You would be stamped in for 12 months.

Yes would require one year insurance however worth a consideration especially given Jomitien are requiring 2 months 800k prior to application for non O 

Yes, a friend of mine did exactly as you are planning.

He was on a 1-year extension of his Non Imm O-A Visa, and exited Thailand without a Re-Entry Permit before his Permission to stay from that 1-year extension expired.

He did a same-day border-run and returned VisaExempt.  And then he applied at his SiRacha Imm Office in Pattaya for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.  Like yourself he had +800.000 THB on a personal Thai bank-account which was seasoned already for long time (so no need to prove foreign origins).

Note: If you are exiting Thailand while your Non Imm O-A Visa did not expire yet, you will have to convince border-immigration to stamp you in VisaExempt on your return, instead of providing you once again with a 1-year Permission to stay (capped to the expiry of your Non Imm O-A compliant health insurance).

30 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The way it was written by eboy "over 800k Baht in a Thai bank for a couple of years" implies an extension of stay of based on a Non O-A.

17 minutes ago, ningnong said:

The way it was written by eboy "over 800k Baht in a Thai bank for a couple of years" implies an extension of stay of based on a Non O-A.

He edited his OP after my post ask about valid non O-A vs Extensions.

Subsequently I did not revisit his OP.

So OP, Your border bounce idea is good to go.

Exit without reentry permit

(which you do not have) and reenter visa exempt. 

As for your border bounce from Pattaya to Cambodia, this guy @Pattaya57 had recent positive experience with minivan company. Can advise. 

Don't overlook Jomtien specific rules for obtaining non O from visa exempt entry. 

This link outlines the process

https://aseannow.com/topic/1311886-visa-exempt-to-retirement-extension-process-and-cost/

23 hours ago, eboy said:

My O-A retirement visa expires in less than a month. My plan is to do a border run to Cambodia, using a professional border run service, and return as a visa-exempt tourist. I will then apply for an O-visa.

Has anyone used this method, and did it work for you?

More details:

I do NOT have a re-entry permit.

I'm in the Pattaya area and use the Immigration office in Jomtien.

I've had over 800k Baht in a Thai bank for a couple of years.

So you are on an extension of your OA not actually on an OA visa, if you are on an extension just go across the border you will get stamped back in with a 30 day visa exempt, easy to do the O conversion, I did mine on the same day as the border crossing, you need at least 15 days left on your 30 day visa exempt entry, Chiang Mai requires 20

Your change over from your Visa shouldn't be a problem.

BUT!

If you are of the age nearing 75 years or if you are already over the age of 75 most definitely to maintain the Thai health insurance you have now for your OA Visa. Once you are getting your O Visa you could reduce your health  insurance to a very small cover hence smaller premium to pay. 

Edited by Jurg

I recently did this:  Killed off my O-A retirement visa by taking an overnight flight from Phuket to Georgetown, Malaysia without a re-entry permit.  Got the 30 day stamp upon returning to Phuket and went to immigration a few days later (you have to go in at least 15 days before your 30 days is up) and applied for an O visa (good for 90 days).  60 days after my O visa date I can go in again and apply for an extension based on retirement.  I'll go for the extension in about two weeks.  I'm not using an agent.